Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus vs. Geddy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Hale, Oct 9, 2005.

Marcus or Geddy?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2005.
  1. Fender Marcus Miller Jazz Bass

24 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

35 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. I'm thinking of buying another bass. If I buy a 4 string, I can't decide between a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz or Fender Marcus Miller Jazz.

2. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    There are probably equal number of supporters for both models here on TB, so neither one is a bad choice. Both have a great rep here on TB, so the bottom line is finding what feels and sounds right for you.

As for my $0.02, I own a Geddy Jazz and have tried both basses. To my ears, the Geddy has a more 'classic' vibe and the Marcus is more 'hi-fi' or modern sounding. They both work well in all styles, but the Geddy is great for rock and the Marcus is known for the killer slap tone. Basically, a passive vs. active or rock vs. slap debate.

I hope this helps.

3. fookgub

fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I went for the MM. They're pretty different, so it's all a matter of what you like. Play both... it won't be hard to decide.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're very different. But: I have a P-necked Marcus Miller. Next bass is a P-necked Geddy Lee.

I was going to buy both eventually, but the Marcus floated along first.

5. dBean

dBean

May 23, 2005
    Waterford,ON
    I just picked up a MM a few weeks ago and I love it.

My drummer has a Geddy and it's a great bass too -- really thin, fast neck and some really nice J tones.

But I have to say I prefer the MM because of the preamp. It sounds soooo huge. It also has the preamp defeat switch which gives you basically the same tone palette as the Geddy.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I've always preferred the Geddy's fingerstyle sound and the MM's slap tone. Of course, this is based on my technique and my tone. To me, the MM seemed thin when played with the fingers, while the Geddy didn't have the punch of the MM. Both very good basses for the price though.

7. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Geddy Lee, i love mine, great tones, slim neck and nice looking

8. I voted for the Geddy. I have one myself and have tried the MM. I found the MM to be a very "weak" sounding bass and don't really care for the look of it either. The Geddy has a nice vintage look and a killer vintage sound that sends me drooling every time I pick it up.

9. Marcus Miller Jazz = Heavy

Geedy Lee = Light

:D

10. dBean

dBean

May 23, 2005
    Waterford,ON
    I hear what you're saying about the look -- I wasn't really sold on it at first either. I stripped off all the non-essential hardware and I'm diggin it way more now

Have a look

--------------------

11. The advantage of the Geddy over the M² is the neck(may not suit everybody but most of people aggree it a great neck) It also have a very vintage sound( surely due to the passive electronic).
    The advantage of the M² over the Geddy is that is a really upgradable bass, you can put whatever preamp (without having to do some routing).
    If you're hesitating about these two basses think about that. If the Geddy neck is perfect for you, take it.
    If you want to do some easy upgrades(in the future) take the M².
    Anyway, both of them are a good buy!

12. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I have the Geddy Lee, but I also tried the Marcus Miller. I thought it was a sweet sounding bass, but I just couldn't get used to the feel. I think the GL and the MM are comparable. What really won me over on the GL was the slim neck. I didn't even care about the sound. I knew I'd like it, because I've got two other Fender Jazz basses.

13. I got to play the Geddy Lee model. It sounds nice, but it ain't much different from a regular Deluxe Jazz. I never played the M.M. version, but I assume it's nice. I went with that.

14. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Now that I am confused by. How is it NOT much different than a deluxe jazz? I'm hard-pressed to find one similarity between the two, and I own them both. Oh I know. They both say Fender on the headstock. ;)