Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Marcus wins the Grammy!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Pacman, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Just noticed that Marcus Miller won a grammy for best contemporary jazz album (for M2) last night.

If you're listening, way to go Marcus!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, cool beans. is that his first? i wonder if he ever got any with sanborn

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  4. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    :eek:
    And I thought Tony Levin had a long discography....

5. yebb, that guy has played on several cd's over the years.. :)

btw.. I watched some of the grammys and the best music I heard there was actually the Jazz music that was played during commercials(because we didn't have commercials there was just a still pic. saying they will soon return. There were even 2 or 3 DB solos.. :D

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Yeah, I noticed that MM won, I HAVE seen the discography (WOW!) and the jazz music during commercials was cool:)

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Listed below, under my name, is my discography:

Adam "Jazzbo" Rodriguez:

8. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    No, you're not alone, that was pretty much the only Grammy I cared about this year. Well, that and the Big Band one....

Marcus is The Man!!

9. eh hemmm!! Steve Martin won a grammy with Paul Shafer, along with Albert Lee and others on Earl Scruggs recording.

Bluegrass is da bomb G !!

10. Let's not forget The Soggy Bottom Boys... :D

Way to go Marcus!

11. MM rules!!!! I have his signature bass, but I didn't buy it cuz it was his...but every time I listen to M squared, I am always in amazement.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I dunno. MM did work with Miles; did Tutu get a Grammy? Or Siesta(for movie soundtracks)?

Anyway, sorry guys...you couldn't pay me enough to sit through any of these awards' shows.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

exactly, but I still am happy he got one.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I just visited a Jazz site I sometimes hit to read what 'they' thought...bear in mind, these guys are much more hard-core than the typical poster here. ;)

The discussion can be found at www.jazzcorner.com/speakeasy
    The thread is in SPEAK OUT & is called "The 2002 Grammy Bore". The guy who initiated the thread is a known Jazz writer(he's seen interviewing Mingus in Beneath The Underdog).
    There's some insightful comments & some humorous ones.

Somebody did mention it was Sonny Rollins' FIRST Grammy...WOW!

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    There's an article on Tutu in the March issue of JazzTimes...
    There's an excerpt at their site, too
    www.jazztimes.com
    The article is written by Paul Tingen, the author of the excellent(IMO) Miles Beyond, about the ONLY book dealing with Miles' ELECTRIC output.

If you're really a Miller fan, check out the '80s stuff he did with Miles(PRE-Tutu)...stuff like Star Prople & We Want Miles. Both are examples of improvised, chromatic, angular Funk(NOT the 'smooth' fare of M-Squared).

Anyway, back to Tutu & Tingen's article-
    He mentions the flap about this recording(basically, it's almost all Marcus Miller-Composing, arranging, playing, programming, etc)...as I alluded, there's a whole lotta programming(drum machines) & sequencing(synths). Basically, it's a total product of 'studio-ese'.
    Really, NO live musicians interacting & improvising together collectively...Miles blows his horn over a bed of 'Muzak"(IMO).
    Granted, Teo Macero cut & edited the Hell outta stuff like Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, On The Corner, Jack Johnson, Get Up With It, etc. It was LIVE musicians that delivered "the goods", however.

Whatever...you guys read(if you like the JazzTimes' article) & make your own call. ;)

BTW, April's issue of JazzTimes is a Jaco cover/feature about the Bobbing's Early Years tentative release.

16. I read an article a while back somewhere which talked about how many of the "Grammy-worthy" musicians have won their Grammies for "the wrong reason." In other words, the Grammies didn't recognize these artists' most significant works, but instead awarded Grammies for their weaker attempts years later. The article listed examples like Santana, the Allman Brothers, the Rolling Stones to name a few.

At least MM got an award though. Was he there to pick up the award? Did he make a speech? Who were the other nominees?

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

While we are discussing this year's Grammy winning bassists, we have to send a shout out to Charlie Haden, who together with Gonzalo Rubalcaba, won a Grammy for Best Latin Jazz Album, "Nocturne."

18. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Jim, I'd suggest you give M2 a relisten. I hardly find it in the same vain as other "smooth" jazz records out. (Granted, this is coming from an educated musician who likes smooth jazz) There's plenty of depth there - it may not be what you're used to, or what you expect, but it's there none the less. And I think you'd have to agree, there are few musicians around today with the depth of talent that Marcus has.....

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Packer-
    There was a time when I woulda really, really dug M2...generally, that whole vibe just isn't my cup of tea anymore. Believe me, I have a wall of stuff that's 'similiar'...some of my early Fusion records had MM on bass(stuff like Spyro Gyra, Dave Grusin, etc). Suffice to say, I'm not really surprised about anything I'm hearing off M2, i.e. what is played is exactly what I expected.
    That's not to sat it's not happenin'; there are some nice bass grooves, period! But I wanna hear much more interplay between the musicians. For that reason, I prefer what Gary Willis is doin' with his solo releases.
    FWIW, I also have a couple of Brian Bromberg's & Gerald Veasley's albums...again, 'great' playing, but?

BTW, this new Matthew Shipp cd(Nu Bop) I just picked up(w/ William Parker on bass, Guillermo Brown on cans)is kickin'. ;)