Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mardi gras music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fisk, Jul 17, 2001.

1. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    The wife and I are going to a theme party this weekend. I need to find some Mardi Gras/New Orleans music. Any suggestions? I already have a cd we picked up years ago called Bourbon Street Party by Jimmy Thibodeaux. It sounds pretty good.

Without going to my local record store and buying a new cd, anyone have any suggestions of artists that play that kind of music? Or maybe websites where I could get some mp3's and burn them on a disk?

Thanks for any help

fisk

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You really need to ask GARD, but:

Dr. John: The Very Best of Dr. John
    Goin' Back to New Orleands
    Gris Gris
    Mos' scocious
    Ultimate Dr. John

Professor Longhair: Fess: Professor Longhair Anthology
    Big Chief
    Rum & Coke
    Go to the Mardi Gras
    Way Down Yonder in New Orleans

Harry Connick, Jr.: She

Wild Tchoupitoulas: Wild Tchoupitoulas (self-titled)

Wild Magnolias: Life is a Carnival
    I'm Back at Carnival Time (w/ Bo Dillis)

Neville Brothers: Fiyo on the Bayou

The Dirty Dozen Brass Band: Voodoo

Rebirth Brass Band: Feel Like Funkin' It Up
    We Come to Party

James Booker: Junco Partners
    Resurrection of the Bayo Maharajah

Huey "Piano" Smith: (His stuff is real hard to come by).

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Excellent list jazzbo! :D I'll only add one thing:

The Meters: Funkify Your Life (anthology by Rhino Records)

Actually, that's pretty much a must-have for us all....George Porter is BAAAAADDD....and Zig Modeliste on drums is pretty cool too....

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Doh! How could I forget The Meters. Zig is bad. Wouldn't you like to live 10 miles from him, (as I do!!! :D :D :D ).

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Well, in your defense, you did mention Dr. John, Harry Connick, Jr. (extra points to those who know what his daddy's gig was for about 20 years), and the Neville Brothers. At least some of the Meters were in all those outfits as well. And living near Zig is cool, but have you jammed with him??? ;)

(...neither have I! ;) )

6. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Harry Sr. is DA of New Orleans. I understand he's not exactly a fan favorite all the time as he's done quite a bit to try and remove drugs and prostitution from certain areas of the city, and with that went some great clubs like The Dew Drop Inn have fallen by the way-side (what does "way-side" mean?). I know Harry Jr's first public performance was for his Dad's swearing in ceremony at 5 years old. (Harry Jr. was 5, not his Dad!). Harry Jr.'s first gig was The Famous Door on Bourbon. His mom died when Harry was 13, and Harry has dedicated every album to her since. He also married a Victoria's Secret model. Bastard.

Okay, so you got me on Zig, but I've seen him play local clubs quite often, and it's very seriously cool. I've talked to him after gigs a couple of times, but played with him. Man! If I played CISSY STRUT with the man I think I could die a happy man at that point.

Oh yeah, and Harry Sr. performs as a vocalist at a couple of spots in Nawlins. I know I've seen him on Tipitina's calendar once.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You know what I just realized? This belongs in RECORDINGS.

8. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    Jazzbo, Gard, thanks for all the suggestions. i'm busy looking some of those up in my favorite napster-like program (one that actually works).

recordings is as good a place as any. I thought OT would be most logical because it has nothing to do with bass, but whatever.

thanks again for the help.

fisk

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Give that man a cookie, although I believe the proper term would be "was" not "is" the DA of Orleans Parish. You seem to be a bit of a Harry Jr fan, that's cool, I really like him too, I thought "Starfish" was a great album, but it didn't go over so well with his typical fans because it wasn't the same old "Harry Jr doing his Sinatra impression while playing piano" thing. Didn't hurt to have George Porter on bass for that one...

Hey, did you catch that...I said I DIDN'T either ;). I agree, if I ever got to step onstage and play just about any Meters tune with the Zigsterizer, they could just go ahead and cart me off in a pine box, my life would be complete! :D

Actually Harry Sr is also a pretty smokin' trumpet player. I've seen him just rip through jazz standards. Sings almost as good as his son too...

fisk, glad we were able to be some help! :D

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry for hijacking your thread FISK! :)

Yeah, I'm a huge Harry fan. Although, let me clarify ;) that "Star Turtle" featured Tony Hall on bass (who does a great version of Sly Stone's Thank U live). It was Harry's second funk album. Great album. "She", his first funk/rock album, featured George Porter Jr and Zig on several tunes, but Tony Hall did also play on that album. Raymond Weber played drums on some tracks as well. Harry caught a lot of heat for those albums because apparrently as musicians, you're only allowed to play one genre. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, last time I was in Nawlins, (when you invited me over to Baton Rouge), I caught Lucien Barbarin, who has played on many Harry albums, playing 'bone at Preservation Hall. I actually joined him and the other cats at their table, at their request, behind the Hall for a moment while they were having a drink. Man, I've never really been much for being star struck, but hanging with those cats at Preservation Hall, well that made the whole trip for me.

And if you don't think Harry can play piano, catch his live performance of "Do You Know What It Means (To Miss New Orleans)" from his live video, I believe it was "Swingin' in NYC."

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    'Scuse me while I wipe the 'gator egg off my Cajun face....

Thanks for the ejumacashun on Harry Jr, jazzbo! :D

Good to see someone that appreciates that stuff. The Star Turtle and She CD's have been on my "must have" list for a while now, but I've been remiss in crossing items off of it. I need to hit a used CD shop or two to find those, and soon!!!