1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Marian McPartland

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by lowendforlife, Nov 5, 2005.

1. So I just happened to catch a bit of "Piano Jazz" on NPR earlier this evening with Marian hosting Joe Sample in-studio. They played a couple nice ballads, but when Marian played a solo tune (I can't recall what it was), IMHO it just wasn't happening. I dug into my library and pulled out her "On 52nd Street" and "Live at Shanghai Jazz" albums, and gave them a listen...I know I'll probably be scolded for saying this, but, I'm just not digging it. She has a beautiful approach to balladry, but the swing just ain't there. Maybe I'm just being a cynic, but I'm really not feeling it at all. Am I missing something? :meh:

p.s. Rufus's playing on the Shanghai Jazz album doesn't really knock me out either...

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I love Rufus' playing on Shanghai Jazz. Marian's playing is very understated. As I get older that is something that I appreciate more and more.