Marijuana legalization...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fat jonny, Jun 24, 2001.

1. yes

197 vote(s)
  2. no

52 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Hi, I was reading through some of the posts on here on this subject and it seems like a lot of you folks are pro-marijuana legalization to some degree. However I would still like to hear some of your opinions as to whether or not you think marijuana should be legalized. I personally use marijuana and the more i research it, the more i realize what a ridiculous thing is happening in this country and all over the world. I believe that it should be left up to the taxpaying citizens of this country to decide whether or not they want to use it or not. I know parents will be saying marijuana needs to remain illegal in order to keep it out of their kids hands. Let me assure you, I have had absolutely no difficulty in obtaining marijuana in the last 2 years that i have been smoking it; and im a high school student. However, getting cigarettes has proven quite difficult recently due to the new laws about carding minors; isnt this an ironic situation???

Well, you've heard my opinion, so please tell me yours. If you agree with me, please consider spreading awareness about the facts of marijuana, because many people are misinformed. Also, think about sharing your views with your local or state legislators to pressure them to change the laws. If we want to change the law we have to let the government know how we feel. Also, please dont be close minded and disregard my post as a stoner rambling on because it is much more than that. I feel that a great injustice is being done to the people of this country and am sickened by the hundreds of billions of tax dollars that have been wasted on enforcing marijuana laws and arresting peaceful, productive citizens. Thanks for reading this and please let me know how you feel.
  2. I say legalize it. It's no more harmful to you than cigars, cigarettes, chewing tabacco, and various alcohols are. Weed doesn't kill you. Sure.. it's a "gateway drug." It leads to junk food. Is that a bad thing? No! It helps the economy! Alcohol hurts it. You get drunk.. act like an ass.. cause a few deaths b/c of drunk driving. That's a waste to our economy. I feel marijuana is not bad. All the people I've seen get high are nice. They don't act like complete arseholes when they're high unlike drunks who are just blah.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I've never used the stuff, but I fail to see why it's not legal. As you point out, Obese Juan, it is more difficult for an underage kid to get cigarettes - a legal substance :eek: - than it is for them to get pot, or worse. If it's legal, the government can control access to it to at least some degree, as it stands now, they can do nothing about it. Then there's the whole issue of taxation......I could go on and on and on....

Pot laws are stupid, repeal them.
  4. EDIT

I recind my previous comment. I was young and stupid *and really really sXe*

I just felt I had to do that, as I not smoke quite regularly.
  5. Oh, and it's VERY easy to get cigarettes, just ask a friend or a stranger to buy them, or bum off someone you see. I hang out at the smoking section at disneyland on fridays and see how east it is to smoke (I dont though)
  6. i don't smoke, but i hate the double standard here. i say either legalize it, or ban tobacco and alcohol.
  7. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    Actually i know lots of stoners. Some might consider me a stoner. I still get good grades, have a good relationship with my family, and consider myself somewhat intelligent for a 16 year old. I do know what you mean though by the typical "burnt out" pothead, I know a few of them. Anything if used too much can cause problems in peoples lives, alcohol, drugs, food, etc. However, most people know how to responsibly enjoy things like these. Also, do you think that the existing marijuana laws are really preventing people from becoming "stoners"? Most of the marijuana users in this country are law abiding, hard working, responsible people, who disagree with the government prohibiting them from taking advantage of something nature gave us. I think that you will also agree that many of the burnt out potheads out there have deeper psycological problems or emotional problems that caused them to use pot as an escape. If used responsibly, marijuana is not harmful. If used in excess, as with tobacco, alcohol, fatty foods, and damn near everything else on the planet it can be harmful. If you smoke a lot of marijuana you get may cancer. If you eat a lot of fatty food, you may get overweight, heart disease, diabetes, or any number of problems. People choose their own fate and some do a better job of others. Just because some people cant control themselves doesnt mean the rest of us should be punished.
  8. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    listen to "Legalize It" by Peter Tosh, it'll answer some questions.
  9. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    I disagree, and remember, Im 17 and have tried it many times. It is mind-altering and it kills brain cells. Do you know any stoners? If you know any, then Im appalled that you still smoke. Any person that smokes regularly is an idiot (this is opinion, but I stand firm on it) It is expensive, cancer forming (thats right, studies have shown to be even worse then cigarettes). and makes you STUPID. I pride myself on being intelligent, I have friends that were once bright that are now idiots, I cant even hold a conversation

Ok I would love to see any of these Test! I am pro pot and have been many years now and I keep up on all the studies! They have never proved that it can hurt you in anyway! Actually they have proved that it helps your short term memory! And it is great for artist to use while working! I wouldn't smoke a j and go on stage but I would do it all the time to come up with song ideas! The last test I saw they did was on a rat! They put the poor thing in a cage that wasn't much bigger than it was and kept him in there for a very long time and it learned how to push a lever to get food with thc in it to get stoned! Well it did it several times a day so they said they proved it was habit forming! Ohhh come on now if you were put in a little cage for the rest of your life and poked with huge needles all the time and you had the chance to be high all the time would you? Duh!
  10. The info for the cancer came via my health book, which I will call a reliable source. I stand firm on this issue, I also believe that cigarettes and alcohol should be illegal too. Of course, we all know prohibition didnt work.
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    From "A&U", "America's Aids Magazine", Issue 73, November 2000:

"The University of California released results of the first government-sanctioned study showing the benefits of medical marijuana use for AIDS patients. The study was structured to see if marijuana adversely affected the body's ability to use protease inhibitors.

Not only were there no effects in the body's use of the drugs, the study also found that patients who smoked marijuana or osed a pill form of marijuana, put on more than twice as much weight as patients who used a placebo. Elsewhere in California, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer (Based in San Francisco) has reversed an earlier injunction and allowed the Oakland Cannabis Buyer's Cooperative to resume medical marijuana distribution to patients."

Who are we kidding here? I'm not going to debate on the recerational value of marijuana, but it should be obvious to everybody that this substance has some usefulness, which is an understatement in this case, as marijuana can also be used to make things like paper and cloth. The only reason (I almost put a "t" in front of "reason". Freudian slip?) marijuana is not legalized is because the pharmaceutical industry has a huge lobby against it, as they cannot patent-and make a profit-off a substance that is found in nature.

I agree with DHC. there's a double standard Either get rid of the booze and the tobacco or make marijuana as legal as the other two.
  12. NAF1138

Jun 19, 2001
    Los Angeles, Ca
    the problems with smoking pot (and possible solutions)

1) you can go to jail smoking it, selling it, or holding it. Thusly overcrowding our prisons with nonviolent criminals, raising taxes, and leaving no space for real criminals

solution legalize it

2)marijuana isn't like it was in the old days. Nowadays it is laced with all kinds of crazy crap that can seriously hurt or kill you.

Solution legalize it, regulate it.

3)children are smoking it and it is having adverse effects on them. Kids can't handle the stuff.

Solution legalize it, put age caps on it.

These are the only legitimate arguments against pot that I have heard, and the solution to all of them is LEGALIZE IT!!!!

As for potheads being dumb and or anti social etc. Ever talk to a drunk? Strait or sober they usually ain't any fun. Plus Pot is almost (I repeat almost) completely nonaddictive. Can it cause cancer? Yes it has tar just like cigarets, but you are just as at risk breathing the air, or going outside without sunscreen. And pot is less detrimental to you physically than any other drug out there (legal and illegal, its healthier than aspirin for gods sakes). Did you know that a study just came out saying that cigarettes are more addictive than crack and harder to kick than heroine? Just a thought.

P.S. no I do not smoke, I don't like it. I just find it stupid and an infringment on personal liberty to have your own private actions be made illegal. (goes for prostitution and gambling too)
  13. Ah! The material point!
  14. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany

good topic.

I believe it would be great to legalize it. Although I know some people who smoke regulary, I don´t think it makes them dump or something. I just believe that it is a way to live with all the trouble we all have.

I also did it myself several times, and I think it´s not as mind-altering as alcohol. You can still - in a way - control what you do... when you´re drunk - this is not possible.

Further on, I think that medical care is just another good reason to legalize it. And NO - Marijuana or Canabis are NO gateway drugs. They´re NOT related to any other drug out there !

15. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    If you want some real ammo for the premise of your argument, you need to read "The Devil, Marihuana".
    Keep in mind as you read it that it's a GOVT. publication from the '30s.

I smoked pot for over 20 years. In that 20 years I studied for and became a certified electronics tech. Finished in the top 5% of my class too. I have played URB bass on two different albums and was smoking when both were made. Never had the first complaint on the bass tracks. I really don't believe I could have accomplihed the above with brain damage! Oh, by the way, I did this with an eighth grade education. I HAD to drop out of school in the eighth grade.
    I have personally smoked pot with a judge(yes, a real one), numerous school teachers, two different attorneys and numerous electronic engineers. I saw no signs of brain damage in these people either.

None of these people showed any signs of burned out brain cells.

As for the addiction factor. I stopped smoking pot over 3 months ago. Not for any of the politically correct reasons, simply because it became too expensive.

I'm still waiting for the withdrawal symptoms. And waiting. And waiting.

Anyone is welcome to believe whatever they choose, but I'm speaking from experience. Giving up caffeine for a short period was much harder than going cold turkey with pot. I still haven't been able to give up tobacco. Now that's an addiction from hell!

When people blindly accept what their govt. tells them, a far worse situation is created than anything pot will cause.

I'm not saying anyone is STUPID for thier position on pot. Pro or con. I will say that anyone that condones their govt. making personal decisions that are based on OUTRIGHT LIES, needs to back off and think about what they're buying.

Sorry for the rant.

16. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well said, Pkr2. Your example is like many others that I've come across - just as it's unfair to brand everyone who has a glass of wine with their dinner a raging alcoholic, you can't label everyone who's had a spliff a stoner.

Like most people, I've had pot. And you know what, I actually like it - I prefer it to alcohol. (Besides, pot enhances your perception of low frequencies - if only I could get the tone I hear when I'm stoned out of my amp...) But if I never had it again, I could survive. I don't have any overwhelming desire to get stoned again, other than the fact that I genuienly like the state of mind it puts me in.

As far as it's affect on the human body goes, I don't think there's any reason to be too concerned - as Obese Juan says, (Nice one Gard! ;)) too much of anything is bad. If I ate, say, 40 chocolate bars a day for the next 20 years, I'd likely end up overweight, diabetic, toothless, and in all pshycologically dependent on chocolate. And it has been proven, as Big Wheel says, that marijuana has medicinal uses - such as in cases of Multiple Sclerosis. Even if pot should remain illegal for recreational purposes, I think that it's obscene that people should suffer because of some outdated puritan values. :rolleyes:

Think about it - if alcohol, tobacco, and marijuana were discovered tommorrow, which one do you think would be legal? The one that turns most town and city centres into bloodbaths at around midnight ever Saturday night, the one that is proven without doubt to cause cancer, or the one that makes people giggle and listen to Pink Floyd?

Okay, rant over.
  17. I smoked it for 7 years. I don't feel that know..have been any...uh....

Hey, I LOVE the colours on this..

Ooops...wrong drug.

Long term effects!!!

That'S what I was looking for.

Has anyone seen that wonderful anti grass film 'reefer madness'? BTW? Is it available on video?
  18. From a health book? That's like reading the bible for a reliable and proven source for creation.
  19. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Generalize much?
  20. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    You guys should all rent the movie "Grass". It's a documentary style movie about marijuana and the whole history of it. It's narrated by Woody Harrelson so obviously it takes a pro-pot position on it. Anyway, its the funniest movie I have ever seen and it is what really made me think hard about why marijuana isn't legal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.