Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eric234, Aug 16, 2005.

1. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    i love this band especially the album antichrist superstar.
  2. Yeah, she was really great in "The 7 Year Helter Skelter."
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    You're really trying to hard. I certainly prefer him to Korn. His personality is annoying, he seems very full of himself, but he's a very empty person. His stage persona is built of so many rip offs it's amazing. He's been Alice Cooper, he's been "Ziggy Stardust." It's unreal. But the music has always been rather good... well the last album kinda sucked. Twiggy really was the musical force behind that band. Manson just always put his awful teenage poetry over top and screwed it up. The first album is fantastic! I really like it still. And the lyrics were funny back then, he didn't take himself as serious. Some of the Spooky Kids stuff is alright too.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I allways thought his whole act was alittel too bizarre.
  5. A lot of people hate him because they never heard of him until the Smells Like Children + Antichrist years and thats the impression they get. He was different before then, and he's different now, so get over it. He's a shock rocker, and good at it. If he offends you, he has accomplished his goal. Don't begrudge him because his style(s) are different than yours or the artists you like.

Anyway, I think the first album (Portrait of an American Family, not the Spooky Kids* album) was just awesome. Me and my guitarist often break into some old school Manson, like Dogma or Snakeyes and Sissies or somethin when we're warming up. I'm certainly not one to criticize anyone's lyrics, since I couldn't write good lyrics to save my life, but I like his older work a lot.

*The Spooky Kids album was pretty good, but as a whole it could have been better. "Negative Three" was a killer tune on there, among a few others.

By the way, if anyone here is a big Manson fan, could you clue me in on the song "Down in the Park"? Its on the Snakeyes and Sissies single/bootleg/import/whatever, and I know the Foo Fighters have covered it too. Did Manson originally write this song? If not, who did?
  6. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I posted it in the Korn thread and I'll post it here

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Down in the Park is originally a tune by Gary Numan... *sigh* the guy who wrote the song "Cars."

"Here in my car... where I feel safest of all..."

Gary Numan + Alice Cooper + David Bowie + Trent Reznor = Marilyn Manson.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    BTW Gary Numan is amazing... even if you don't like his New Wave stuff... check out his album where he redid his old songs and made them weird/industrial.
  9. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Gary Newman is the "I love LA" guy right?
  10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I thought I read somewhere that he's not making music anymore (for public release). I think he's focusing on his *cough cough* movie career. He's gonna do some lame 'horror' movies like Rob Zombie. I've never liked the guy for some reason -maybe all the dark crap- but he is not as stupid as he looks. He's a very smart business man...I'll give him that.
  11. I agree.

Then again, I am immune to "shock value," and I'm otherwise very dissimilar from the target audience.
  12. I think that's Randy Newman. Randy...

This is Randy Newman:

Gary Numan:

13. walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    The Satanic Bible is written by Anton Szandor Lavey, not Aleister Crowley.

I liked Marilyn Manson older stuff, now he's just a big ego, nothing more.
  14. LAVEY's satanic bible says that your self is the most important thing in the world. Much more important than some idea or fairy tale of a divine being that created us so he'll have something to torment for eternity. Even the whole idea of "Satan" in the book isn't at all about some red guy with horns that dances around with a pitch fork; its more metaphorical to the rebellion against a christian way of thinking. Maybe you're the type of person who agrees with buying a puppy or having a child so you can keep it in a dark room and beat it if it doesnt love you, but I'll take LaVey's satanic (humanist) way over that garbage any day. Just MY two cents. ;)

In Manson's book he talks about when he got to meet LaVey.. it was pretty interesting. Kind of changes your outlook on the whole devil-man image.
  15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    You obviously didn't understand the Satanic Bible. It's written by LaVey btw, Aleister Crowley was the founder of Thelenism.

OT: Mechanical Animals is a kick*ss album!
  16. I have always found it humorous that people are shocked by Marilyn.

Puhleease, Alice Cooper was doing it 25 years ago.

I like Antichrist Superstar.
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Did anyone see the Onion piece on Manson and his band trying to 'shock' people?

Funny stuff.

I for one, am glad that guy isn't doing much these days. I had the misfortune of seeing him twice and it was pathetic and laughable each time.
  18. I don't get this. What has he ever done to you? Why are you glad his career is slow? If you didn't like the show the first time, why did you go back?

I don't like Hanson, so I don't go to Hanson shows or listen to their albums, but I also don't sit here and blast them on the internet just because I dont like it... To each his own. Half the reason he is so popular is because of people that want to stop him from doing his own thing just because they don't agree with it. When christian protestors have one of his shows cancelled, and its plastered all over the news, the next show will sell out for sure. There's no such thing as bad publicity, especially when you've built a career on bad publicity.
  19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, the Onion article on Manson was too perfect, my thoughts exactly. He's really ran out of ways to be shocking.. and his music as of late isn't good enough to go on music alone... he needs to be a "visual artist"... he's just recycling the same old crap over and over. OooOoOh I walk funny sometimes and stick out my arms... I'm like a Dracula... look how weird my make up is... doesn't that freak you out?
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Not quite.

There was a time where he was opening up for bands I did want to see...Like Nine Inch Nails, who I've gone to shows to see since the TVT days. I also had a girlfriend who unfortunately was taken in by the MM shtick for a while (she's recovered fully, I'm proud to announce).

Where does my ire lie? Well...there was a time when the industrial and goth scene had a lot of great bands and they all did very unique and interesting music and all had different takes on the same genre. Then came Brian, who basically was this cartoon caricature of the music and the scene, a complete dumbing down of it.

That would be fine if he'd admitted this as such (say, like Cradle of Filth does), but instead, if you listened to what came out of the guy's mouth, it was completely shallow, mock-intellectual drivel that spewed forth in an attempt to justify its existence and worse yet, pretended to be making a serious cultural statement. I'd call him a pasty-assed-nerd, but I don't think he's smart enough to be a nerd (sadly I've seen his ass).

You may think I'm part of some christian-right conspiracy, but the fact is, I'm far far to the other side...I have no problem with him having shows or doing idiotic things, but I certainly have the right to tell it like I feel it and I feel prety okie-dokie about him not having much of a career these days.