Marilyn Manson's band: then and now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by B166ER, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Now with the exchange of Twiggy for Tim, who was in the band before? I heard John 5 wasn't in the band before and didn't write any music on Mechanical Animals, nearly the best album. Who's Zim Zum or whatever his name is?
  2. Zim Zum was the guitar player before John 5 I believe, and he was also in Suicidal Tendencies.
  3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Before Marilyn Manson was just Marilyn Manson, he was Marilyn Manson and The Spooky Kids. He had a different bassist back then... who looked just like Twiggy. :confused: :meh:
  4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gidget Gein. His co-colaborator and partner. Shortly after becoming signed he was dropped by Manson.:meh:
  5. Guitarists: Before John 5 was Zim Zum, Before him was Daisy Berkowitz. There were two more becasue the 5 in Johns name is becasue he was the 5th guitarist but I dont know the rest, maybe they were from before they had an album. Daisy wrote everything up to Anti Christ Superstar and one track on that album(I forget the name but its the "I know, I am, everything they..."). When I say everything, I mean everything Twiggy didnt write because he wrote a lot. A lot of people think they got a new keyboard player but he just changed his name to Pogo. They also had a few different drummers beore Ginger Fish. This is all explained a lot better in his book "A Long Hard Road Out of Hell." Regardless of what you may think of MM or the band, its a really good(and often funny) book.
  6. I believe he was dropped becasue he was a heroin addict and it just got too out of hand.
  7. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
  8. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001

Soon. Hell be back.
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    that was years ago.

I know you know that.

What's 3 times 3 ? Exactly :mad:
  10. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Amboog-a-lard was a very good Metallica sounding heavy band. I loved them except for the matching silky shirts they wore on stage....
  11. hmm...

marilyn manson then: sucked

marilyn manson now: sucks

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I like Manson's early stuff as well as his new stuff, with the exception of Holywood. The only song I've heard of off Grotesque is mOBSCENE, which I really like. Very catchy stuff.

A lot of people don't realize it, but he's a very friendly, very intelligent man. I heard on the radio that he wants to focus on acting when he's done with touring. I heard he's looking to do a comedy! That would be cool.

I rented Jawbreaker because he was in it.

;) :D
  13. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I liked all the Marilyn Manson cd's I heard. I haven't listened to Holy Wood, though..
  14. Thats probably why. I think AC and MA were excellent albums with no bad tracks, Portrait of an American Family was pretty good, but not as catchy or well recorded. Holywood i thought was pretty dull except for a very few tracks, and the lyrics were kind of like "look how deep he lyrics are," he just sounded like he was trying too hard. I havent heard anything off GOAG except the single, which i dont really like(pain, pain, pain, pain, pain, uggggh), so i have no opinion on that.
  15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I actually preferred Amboog-a-lard to early Marilyn Manson. I remember Amboog-a-lard from their days playing in Davie and Hallendale, FL. Oddly, though, I don't remember the matching silk shirts. It was a surprise when the bassist went to play for Manson-- a switch that turned out to be a fortunate career move.

I wonder why Marilyn Manson became a national act and Amboog-a-lard didn't. Maybe it is because Manson had a truly unique front man and concept, but Amboogalard was good, but not all that unique or distinct from other South Florida bands in the early nineties.
  16. phogchris

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Do you also remember Raped Ape? They were also one of my favorites at that time.
  17. -Jon:oops:
  18. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    No, my nickname isn't inspired by Charles or Marilyn, and with that cleared up....

I think the older stuff was great.

I think the newer stuff 1997 isn't very good, and over produced.

A friends 48 year old father's favorite album is Marilyn Manson - Portrait of an American family, he even went to a Manson show alone once!

I think the band get's an undeserved bad rap.
  19. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Heavens yes!! West Palm Beach band. I never understood why they weren't more successful. Remember the second bass player? He used to roll his eyes up into his head. Really bizarre. I was always afraid he'd do that and get them stuck up there. By the way, I wanted to play bass so bad for them, it hurt. Do you remember their song, "Slaughter of the Innocents?"

Oh, by the way, they changed their name to "Pain God" when they came out with a CD. I think they had been advised the name would be more acceptable. Trouble is, they didn't do much after that. Name changes are problematic, once a band's reputation is established.

Another of my favorite local South Florida bands at that time was Malevolent Creation. I thought they were all so cool. I wanted to play bass for them too, but my hair wasn't long enough. They had mastered that Sepultura thing of whirling their heads and swirling their hair as they played. I tried, but couldn't do it. My neck ached too much and my head.

Their bass player was my role model of what I wanted to be like. I first saw them at the South Florida Slammies awards at the Plus Five in Hallendale. They just blew my mind.
  20. I used to be a huge MM fan back when Antichrist Superstar came out.. I started diggin older stuff and I loved it. I got to borrow some old demos and promos too.
    Some say that Mechanical animals has been their best album .. I never listened to anything from it on MTV.. but I haven't liked anything that came out after "i'ts a long road out of hell", and think it all sounded the same after that.