1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Marinara Vs Pesto sauce

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 10, 2013.

Marinara Vs Pesto sauce

Poll closed Mar 20, 2013.
  1. Marinara Sauce

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  2. Pesto Sauce

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Carrot Sauce

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  1. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Alfredo on everything.

For the poll I went Marinara.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Apples and oranges my friend. They are both awesome in their own way, and both are so very much better when they are home made, but I couldn't choose.

3. This.

4. Pestinara

5. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Ironically, carrots are the secret to a less acidic red sauce. I usually add 2 or 3 whole carrots to the base and discard them after the sauce is fully cooked.

6. Carrots are an integral part of a mirepoix. Two parts onion to one part each of celery and carrots. I use this as the aromatic base in many of my sauces, stews, and soups.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    +1

Definitely depends on the application. Also not exactly a fair comparison since a pesto can be made in less than 10 minutes and marinara or bolognese take at least an hour and a half.

Pomodoro might be a better comparison since they take about the same amount of effort.

Of course, if you're not making them yourself it really comes down to the restaurant you're at. If in doubt (or at a less than stellar joint) go pesto - it's harder to screw up.