1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Adams (Mr. Mark)

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by Ant Wellington, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    My very first bass hero/idol Mark Adams(Mr. Mark) died last night. I remember being inspired by the song 'Slide' by his group Slave. Still, to this day, one of the funkiest songs ever. Yo Mark, I'm glad I got a chance to meet you and tell you in person that I play bass because of you. Heaven just got a lot funkier!!! "I'll let my grandmother check that out!"

2. Our High School pep band played Slide at the games and rallys (circa 1977-78) I played trumpet back then...

Great song and bassist. Both are missed...

3. rodsnhawgs

rodsnhawgs Custom builder. G-ratio basses Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    U.S., WV
    Always tuff...my sincere condolences.

4. diglo

diglo Gold Supporting Member

May 21, 2007
    SMYRNA, TN
    Get up! Get Get Get Down!
    Man, I'm a late bloomer on bass, but I knew who Mark Adams was before I picked up an instrument. I hummed "Slide' all the time as a kid. Also, was in my play list when I pretended to be a funk player on our back porch...baseball bat for my bass and beach towel for my cape. LOL Bands were popular in the south and Slave was a favorite! Guess I'll go in here and get my "Stone Jam" thump on!

5. damon106

damon106

May 21, 2007
    NJ
    wow, we lost another great one today, his style and sound were one of a kind. He will be greatly missed... Condolences to the Adams family and the rest of the ORIGINAL Slave band.

D

6. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    He was one of a kind. I believe he was only 18 years old when they recorded "Slide" and that first LP. R.I.P. Mark Adams.

7. Tony Delgado

Tony Delgado

Aug 7, 2009
    One of my main inspirations as well,rest in peace Mr.Mark!

8. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Mark was definately one of the funk O.G's. Slide started the bass fire in me for sure.

R.I.P Mark Adams aka Mr. Mark aka "The hansolar"

9. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I spent many, many hours meditating to Slave bass lines in smoke filled rooms.

Living just down the road from those guys (Cincinnati -vs- Dayton) was pretty amazing when all this was popping off.

"Don't worry baby every things Okay..."

Peace be upon you Mr. Mark...

10. Al Bass

Al Bass

Jan 11, 2004
    Lake Worth, Fl
    Mark Adams of Slave was the first bass player that inspired me to pick up the instrument. Their song 'Slide' was the first song I from them, and I've been a fan ever since. His sound, his style, his approach really spoke to me. Alot of bassist didn't know Mark Adams, but for those of us who did, he truly touched us with his monster bass playing. A true funk bass legend and innovator, right up there with Louis Johnson, Larry Graham, and so many more. It's sad that he never got the recognition that he so truly deserved, but maybe now after his passing, he will. Not much to be inspired by on bass in today's music, but hey, back in the day, we had Mr. Mark "The Hansolor" Adams, aka bassdog. R.I.P. Mark.