1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Bass Combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman64, May 28, 2012.

1. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    I had a Jeff Berlin model and was not happy with the pairing between my Ric and that amp.

I really really want a MarkBass amp because of its power, build quality and features.

I currently have an Ampeg B100R and the MB super booster and together and with my Rickenbacker and a Steinberger Spirit it is incredible.

the Jeff Berlin amp just sounded like it was underwater to me, maybe I got a bad one, I dont know. ( doubtfull as these are the best built amps I have seen since the 70's)the ones I played at 2 different GC's didnt sound bad to me but I did not have my Ric with me but I did take the Steinberger to one location and thats why I ended up with the Berlin, previously I was going to go for the 102P.

so, Mark Bass lovers here are a few that I am considering.

102P 2X10--Not really 100% on this one. Played it and it sounds good in the store

121H 1X12 never played a 12 before. maybe the fat tone of the LMII heads are too much for my style of music and 15's ???

the 121P and the 151P are listed as Mini

why? they have the same power ratings as the others. what makes them mini...dimensions alone or did I miss something in the specs.

thanks for any input you may provide

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Same woofers, but the cabs are way smaller with the P models, which gives them less low end and a bit brighter upper mids, although pretty much all Markbass cabs have bright upper mids. And the H cabs have compression drivers for tweeters instead of those crap piezos in the P models.

3. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    I'm inclined to agree with Jimmy that the H model cabs will suit you better. I'll never understand why MarkBass ever put those damned piezos in anything.

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Berlin doesn't have a tweeter, that might be part of it.

Where are you setting the VPF and VLE? They're off when turned all the way down. Cranking up VLE will reduce highs further.

This may sound silly, but check the range of the controls to make sure that the knobs are on correctly...

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I'm in the club of Markbass piezo haters. I owned the 121p and 151p and while I preferred the extra oomph and depth of the 151p, the piezos still ruined those cabs for me. I was intrigued by the 121H and wish I went that route initially but too late now, I've moved on to other stuff.

6. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    The 121H combo has a very nice tone, but for me, works only for smaller gigs due to speaker excursion limits (that's just me, now). I think you'll get better results from a separate head and cab combination. That way the cab won't be limited in interior volume. Although a combo with an extension cab does well. But, if you're wanting just one unit I think the Berlin is the one. But, that's just me. I don't need a tweeter since I'm old school with flats and passive basses. I'll say this, a LMIII head and either a Randy Jackson cab or Club 151 cab would be the lightest, most portable combination. I hear the RJ cabs sound great (and they have a compression driver instead of a piezo).

7. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    its really strange after all the feedback about the Peizio's that they wouldnt offer an off switch for the small or bigger tweeters for that matter.

I was reading the spec's on the 121H and they call the speaker a Woofer where as on the Berlin they call it a speakers

why??

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    It's like the difference between saying "measure" or "bar." No big deal.

As for the tweeter, it's nice to have an attenuator.

9. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    ah, I see

yes an attenuator would be nice

10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    A piezo tweeter is capacitive in nature and has a relatively high impedance. I'm not sure a traditional L-pad attenuator would work. Not sure that it does on my NY121 cabinet.

As for terminology, the 121H has two loudspeaker elements, one for low frequencies, typically called the woofer and one for high frequencies, the tweeter. The Berlin combo on the other hand only has a 15 and no tweeter, so it's the only loudspeaker element...so they just refer to it as the speaker.

11. bassman64

bassman64

Jan 19, 2001
    NY
    got it...thanks

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Having disconnected the tweeter and crossover in my 121p once, I know exactly why they don't...there's a hole between where the woofer stops producing highs and the tweeter starts. I don't know the exact frequency range of the hole, but I'm estimating between 2 and 3.5k is where it lies. And if you disconnect the tweeter, all your highs disappear completely.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Actually, on my 151P cabs I can't tell if the piezos are working at all. I thought the first one I bought was broken, but the new one is just the same. No matter where I set the attenuator knob it sounds the same. But, then again, I'm running flats on passive basses, so maybe I'm not putting out enough highs anyway. (Not to mention my poor hearing in my old worn out ears). Thing is, I still hear enough highs to sound fine. Except if I want to hear them in a mix, it's difficult to get them to come out.

14. gre107

gre107

Dec 25, 2005
    PA
    I've had the 102p for a few years now and use an SWR 2x10 extension cab with it and that is all I will ever need! If the amp was to die on me tomorrow I would replace it with no hesitation. It's the most versatile amp I have ever played. Light weight, powerful and great tone. What more could you need?