1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Bass F1 - Is the DI, Pre or Post ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MG Bass, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Does anyone know for sure and can it be changed ?

Also is there a separate level control for it ?

Thanking you all in advance.

2. Post, with no level control, just like the LMII. I have not had the need to change mine, so I'm not sure if it's the same simple jumper change from post to pre as the LMII. PM Peter Murray, and he will give you the scoop.

If a level control and a 'pre/post' switch for the DI is important, just wait a month or two until the F500 comes out. It's basically an F1 with a few more bells and whistles (pre/post DI switch with level control, mute button, and semi-parametric mids).

K

3. Not sure about the default (LMII is pre), but is jumper changeable. The input gain affects the level - no separate level control.

4. LMII default is actually post, FYI. It's very easy to change to pre if that's what you prefer. If changing back and forth regularly is important, then the SA450 is the ticket... basically the LMII with additional features in a slightly larger box.

5. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    just when I thought you couldn't get better then the F1 they go and do this to me!!!!

ARRRRGGGHHHH. The G.A.S is raging now!!!:bag:

6. Thanks KJung - I was trying to go off memory. I just checked and the manual shows them both in the post position. Or I was thinking of another preamp.:confused:

7. It looks pretty cool. However, there are a LOT of knobs on that little front panel. I believe virtually every knob is a concentric double knob. I find the F1 is perfect for me, since I pretty much am happy with the flat tone, and there is plenty of EQ power to fine tune to the room. I'm not one to use mute buttons and all that fancy stuff.

But, if bells and whistles are your thing, the F500 looks completely amazing IMO!

8. I know the feeling. Too much stuff out there at the moment to keep in memory.

I haven't opened up my F1. I'm assuming it has the same 'jumper' design for changing the DI to pre EQ, but couldn't say for sure. It's a VERY easy change on the LMII, and I'm assuming it's the same on the F1.

9. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    very true and I probably wouldn't even use any of them since I run mine 99% flat. However the mute and the fact that I would have more knobs would be enough for me to get one..LOL.

But back on topic of the DI in the f1.

I'm thinking of picking up a countryman DI to bypass the built in DI. Does anyone feel that the stock F1 DI stacks up to the countryman?

10. I've had very good comments from front of house guys with my SA450. I have not used the F1 DI, but I assume it's basically the same (with the SA450 level control set at noon.. which results in a 'medium level line signal' to the house.

That being said, when I know I'm going to have a pro level front of house system, I use my Radial JDI (since I have active basses). You can't go wrong there (or with a Countryman for passive basses).

If you aren't in a listening room or concert/recording environment, the MB DI's are more than fine from my experience with them.

11. jeremyr

jeremyr

Sep 4, 2006
    Maywood, IL
    Thanks. That's just what I needed to hear.

I'll keep using the f1 for church and when I hit the studio i'll pick up a radial

12. Thanks everyone for your responses.

Ken, or anyones else - if it is post, does adjusting the master volume for your stage sound affect the DI level or is it post just before the Master Volume ?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The master does not affect volume to the DI.