Mark Bass in Gospel

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass-4-God, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Any gospel players using Mark Bass? If so what.

2. jungleheat

jungleheat Inactive

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    Why do so many people ask about certain amps in certain genres? Any decent amp should be able to get a tone that works with just about any style of music. Not to mention that even within genres, different players' tones will vary almost as much as tones vary between different genres.

It's one thing if you are playing metal and want tons of gain from your amp, because a lot of amps don't have that. But for just about anything else, almost any amp that sounds good to you should do the trick.

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    What's the best color Jazz Bass for Hawaiian reggae? :D :D :D

Actually, the OP might get more help if he were to describe the venue size and which Markbass amp is under consideration. :cool:

4. Dark Barn

Dark Barn

Aug 3, 2010
    Seattle
    Well some gospel players prefer Luke Bass, it reads better supposedly.

5. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I am really getting to the point of asking myself why do I even bother to post on here anymore. The reason I joined here in the first place is because I thought it was a place to learn and discuss what musicians discuss, music and gear. But I have run in to so much negativity late it is crazy. The replys that were made in regards to my post were not about what amp fits what genre. I simply asked are there any gopel players using Mark Bass and what. Not if Mark Bass is any good for gospel music. I can see your point if that was my question but it was not. Everybody has a right to their own opinon yes but it should be in context of the subject.

6. iabssplyr

iabssplyr

Aug 5, 2009
    Clinton, IA
    B4G, it's Markbass. One word. I think it had to do with the way your question was phrased more than anything. For every heathen there's a bunch of kind souls on TB who are ready to share their knowledge and insight.

I am not a player of Gospel per se, but own Markbass equipment, and in fact played in an old Catholic church one Sunday last December in a concert band. My 500-watt, 2-12 rig sounded incredible in that high-ceilinged cathedral. The nicest thing was no additional pedals or effects, it was bass plugged straight into amp. You could describe it as "Heavenly!"

7. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I apologize if my question about Hawaiian reggae seemed flippant. The 3 smilies were intended to show I was being light-hearted. :D :D :D

If you want to know who uses Markbass amps and plays Gospel music, I'd be suggesting these:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/official-markbass-club-389962/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/official-markbass-club-pt-2-a-451606/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/official-markbass-club-beat-goes-740794/
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/official-markbass-club-beat-goes-877383/#post12552925

Markbass probably has endorsing artists from the Gospel scene. I'd check that on their website.
    Or perhaps look for P&W clubs or in the TB Bassists forum. :cool:

If you knew how many people ask "What is the best xxx for yyy?" you might be more forgiving of our humor. Why not tell us what YOU think of Markbass amps for Gospel? :)

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I would be interested in what answers come in from gospel players. I was wondering if the color scheme would seem too flambouyant for some folks in a church setting. Of course, it shouldn't matter. I used to play in a gospel band, but played an SWR Workingman's 12, all black. Just curious if the color sets some folks back a bit. Personally, though, I like it. Soundwise, I'd say Markbass would do fine, but I just bet there are fewer players playing it for gospel, for whatever reason.

(Don't worry about the humor, pal. No one meant anything bad).

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hahahahhahaha

10. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Heh. Good one. I'm doubtful that Thomas Bass will even show at NAMM this year.

11. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Good grief, guys, if the humor doesn't set well with the OP can't we just chill with it?

Who can directly answer the OP's question?

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Markbass is one of the flavors of amps available. If you like how it works for you buy that brand. I personally am not attracted to their color scheme. I prefer a subtle backline. In a church setting the musicians aren't the focus. Their music is to have a significant effect that transcends entertainment. I don't want my rig calling attention to itself. I wouldn't play such gear at an Embassy gig.

13. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Yeah. I hear you. Completely doesn't work for me since it's Steeler colors and that won't work at Ravens games. The Tube 800 head is more subdued and I had a NY604 but sold it. IMHO the heads are fine but the cabs are too gaudy. But it certainly gives them a signature look.

14. Bass-4-God

Bass-4-God

Feb 19, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm O.K. with humor, I like a good laugh. My issue is when the statement is not responded to the way it was orignally stated. I asked one thing and the reply stated I asked something diffrent. Anyway I'm cool. In being a gospel musician I hear diffrent players seeking diffrent tones for the same genre. I'm sure this is most like true of all genres. I happen to like Markbass, I have not had the opportunity to play one in a church setting so I wanted to know it there are any gospel players who where using Markbass and what thier thoughts were.

15. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Markbass doesn't list any gospel players on their roster of artists. You could definitely play one but I usually think of GK/SWR/Eden when I think of gospel. Then again I'm far from "in" the scene. TB'er Brad Johnson I believe plays a good bit of gospel and I know he likes MarkBass. He may be able to help you. Good guy all around.

16. Zapp

Zapp

Sep 4, 2005
    Gruene Texas
    I would think old Bassman for gospel. not 'old' in years, but the original/genuine bassman, if you know what I mean.
    I'm thinking 'gospel' means 'southern gospel' with singers in suits.
    if its more laid back than that, something non-descript in a rack case - ampeg, hartke, eden,

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Dude, the simple fact is that I misunderstood your question, for which I have apologized. I think most of the cats who read your original post don't get it.

Why not go back and edit it to offer more clarity for the average reader, like me? You actually already clarified, but not in the original post. It's fine, but a lot of bassists will just look at the first post, dig?

Like this, maybe?

Just a suggestion. :cool:

18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    Chadds, it turns out that several of us misunderstood his post—AND I happen to know that Fiesta Red is the best color Road Worn Jazz Bass for Hawaiian Reggae, at least when I am playing it! :D :hyper: :bassist:

19. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    My rig consist of a Euphonic Audio Micro 300 connected to a Phi Jones Bass 6B cabinet for my Peavey Cirrus and Ken Smith 5 string basses. I have received many compliments from other gospel musicians, not just bassists, on how good my basses sound through my set up. There are a number of gospel bassists who use Eden (Darrel Freeman and Malcolm Hall), Warwick (Sharay Reed), Epifani (Andrew Gouche), Phil Jones Bass (Alvin Quinn). So, I don't think that there is any "magic" bass amp or speaker cab for gospel. It's mainly about the sound of the rig-not the name on the rig.

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:

20. I think you will LOVE playing a MarkBass amp in gospel or any genre of music. I think the color scheme is a class act!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021