Mark Bass Lil Mark II vs. Epifani PS 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groovin, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Ok, I know the "vs" threads get beat to death around here but for a fairly similar product and demographic which would you choose? I think I am going to eventually pick up an Epifani UL310.. Which obviously leads to the "just match with the Epifani" but Mark Bass has been getting such good press for soo cheap a price!! In case you ask I play with a bit of a hi-fi sound but like a gig filling tone that cuts. Play anything from church to rock soo..

Ok let er rip!!

2. Hey there Groovin, I could talk about Markbass all day:D . I think it's safe to say that the Markbass LM II stands alone as the undisputed champ for it's price range. I honestly cannot believe the sheer power that the LM II delivers for 6 pounds. I personally found it to be a little less hifi then the Markbass SA450, but it's still very articulate. The Markbass LM II IMHO sets a new standard in bass amplification. Affordable, hifi bass gear that's lightweight, what more could you want.:bassist:

Cheers,
    Paul Theriault
    Bassjones
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=234528

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Hard to say, man. Those are the two amps Im debating for my mini rig to be paired with an epifani UL112 or PS112. I have played the PS600 and it was good, but I hear such amazing things about the markbass, its really a close call. The markbass is cheaper, i believe, by a few hundred. The fact that it is so small makes it appealing to me. Then again, you cant get that epifani tone without an epifani.

my potential mini rigs are:
    Markbass little mark II with a UL112
    Epifani PS600 with a PS112

even I cant decide.

4. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Thats the nagging thought in the back of my head too... Although the checkbook may finally decide for me ;)

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    IME, like on like brands will always sound the same.

but, i've tried a few markbass pieces at my local GC here in NYC, and to be honest, i havent been too enamoured w/ the sounds i've been hearing from the mb stuff.

at that GC, they have the full mb line, as well as a whole slew of aguilar cabs like the gs410, gs212, and discontinued s410. so, i went cab hopping from the aguilars to the mb's, swapping both the mb LMK II and ag500 heads around. i found the voicing of the mb's EQ is a touch too wide and strong, making my MTD and sadowsky sound the same. the aguilar ag500 in the same gs410 sounded that much clearer and more transparent.

IME, the performance 600 head is an amazing little box. nevermind it too is crazy light, despite its two rack size, the ps600 is more transparent with a nicer EQ that does the job yet doesnt get in the way of your bass inherent tone. while the ps600 doesn't quite have the upper airyness of the ul series of heads, the EQ's sound about the same, and you still get that great epifani articulation and detail. and the ps600 i tried into an UL410 was pretty freakin' sweet. detail and slam in one breath.

6. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Thanks for you comment. Its posts like these that make me realize I am going to have to sit down and just A/B the heads. One guy praises one and another lauds the opposite. I have to find out which I am!!

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    My local store said its still two weeks out. :meh:

Im in the same boat, thinking about the markbass or the PS, maybe even the AI focus.

8. Akami

Akami Four on the floor Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    I'd be thinking about the Mark Bass too if I wasn't already happy with the AI Focus.

9. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    Contact Glenn at Bass Specialties www.bassspecialties.com I purchased my PS 600 from him, along with my UL 310, and my MTD and My Roscoe sound very different, but both sound great. Virgil

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021