1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Bass New York 604 and New York 121

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BluesWalker, Nov 9, 2010.

1. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    I like my Mark Bass III/Traveler 102P combo a lot, but I would like to downsize the cabinet to the NY 604 or NY121. I moved to Boston, don't have a car and have to take taxi's, subway and buses to practice/gigs. I just started playing in a low volume 2 acoustic guitar trio with me on elec bass so I don't need a lot of volume just a nice clean sound. I play a 5-string bass.

Who has tried these cabinets and what do you think. There is not a local seller that I can find, so I would be buying them blind. Any input is appreciated.

2. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Yesterday, "Lester4String", had a thread here at T.B. about how he'd started using his LMIII head and a 604 cabinet instead of his Ampeg 5 Pro head and 210 and 118 cabinets.
    You might drop him a P.M. and see what he thinks.

3. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    The 604 is my go to cab at Guitar center. It's one of the better sounding cabs I've played through. I'm not great at explaining sound but to me it has a nice warm rounded sound but is very quick and responsive. The 121 sounds a bit boxy to me. For me if were between the two of them or any cab in GC's showroom I'd go for the 604. I haven't driven one terribly hard but it doesn't sound like you're going for crazy volume here.

4. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have the combo version of the NY121. I play in the exact same format as you w/2 acoustic guitarists. Though I have PA support, where we play most of the sound comes from the 1-12 and tweeter in the combo. I use a 4 string standard Jazz Bass and a 5 string acoustic/electric bass guitar. I love the sound of this amp playing in this format. The guys I play with both use Martin dreads and my bass fits perfect in the mix. I barely use any EQ on the amp and have the VLE set at about 3. And, the portability is perfect for your situation.

5. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. Shoot-r, I PMed Lester.