Mark Bass Repair In The US?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by XtromatriX, Aug 22, 2009.

1. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    I've been checking the threads but have yet to see any information on who and where the Mark Bass Repair Centers are in the US. Is there such a thing, and if so who and where? Just wondering.

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Is it still under warranty? I would think you need to contact GC.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    They've recently added a bunch, but the one I know of for sure is High Tech Electronics in Lawrence, MA.

4. XtromatriX

XtromatriX

Dec 18, 2004
    MD
    Thanks Guys for the replies... I was just wondering if there were any actually any in the US.

5. All units under warranty are 'replacement' covered... if anything goes wrong, they just give you another one. For after warranty repairs, they have a number of US repair partners, from what I understand.

6. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    and here we go ladies and gentlemen, what to do with those little book sized bass heads when they inevitably develop problems; i've been waiting for This topic! switching power supplys, surface mount stuff everywhere da da da. probably cheaper to just give the customer another unit in the long run. to me this whole pocket sized head fad is just that, a fad, and i emphatically pass. it's like modern cars, they don't replace parts anymore, they replaces "modules". i'll stick with my traditionally built tube and ss heads and their ease of serviceability thankyouverymuch. try finding a guy to fix one of these in pallookaville when you're on the road. yeah right. ain't no free lunch as they say...

7. :confused: huh?

Yeah, them darn fancy TV sets are just fer them uppity city folk... I'm stickin' to me tube radio set... I can fix 'er myself if she ever goes down, and I kin keep a box o chocolates on top fer when i gits hungary.

god help us all:D

8. pgk

pgk

Aug 19, 2007
    god help us all

indeed. go try and have one of those things serviced when they break. take it to your average repair guy and see how quickly you're shown the door. mm hmm. i stand by what i said, fad. no matter, i'll NEVER buy one of those toys. different strokes

Yeah, them darn fancy TV sets are just fer them uppity city folk... I'm stickin' to me tube radio set... I can fix 'er myself if she ever goes down, and I kin keep a box o chocolates on top fer when i gits hungary

yessir, absolutely. and those construction methods and those pesky tubes have worked Just Fine since oh, about 1935. oh my aching sides....

9. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
    Reckon you got a point there Ken. Them new fangled yeller amps r just trouble and I am hungry ...please pass the cookies.:p

10. Lot's of choices, and I respect your decision obviously. However, the repair thing is a moot point. Swapping a board out is simple and cost effective, and the reliability of these small amps is stunning. I have colleagues who have been waiting months for their Twin Reverbs and other classic heads/amps to be repaired since there are so few shops that will even touch these things any more. And even larger, modern class A/B heads with traditional power supplies are mostly modular now... higher reliability, easier repair.

The idea that you could get a 'real time' repair in a small town on any piece of gear if it goes down in sound check is just simple fantasy. Any professional would carry a back-up amp on the road anyway, making the whole issue a moot point.

11. And the ultra-portable MarkBass gear makes for a great backup amp.

12. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    For the $599 I paid for my LMII, which I believe is very reasonable for how great it is IMO, if it lasts me 5 years, I believe it is money well spent. If it breaks down at that point I'll go out and buy another one. A board swap/replacement (out of warranty) will probably approach more then 1/2 the cost of a new unit.

13. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I remember many years ago when I got the same flak when
    I got a Walter Woods amp. The same "you have to send it
    away to be fixed" and "its too light weight to last", argument.
    Turns out, my Woods never failed. Plus, turn around time at
    repair shops in LA are a good two weeks. I could send it, get
    it fixed and have it back faster and usually cheaper.
    Although I must admit, with my old GK800 rb, you just open
    the hood, jump in and replace parts rather easily I'm told.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Agreed except for the cost-effectiveness. Someone on here recently had a board replaced in their LMII...cost: $415. That's not very cost-effective if you ask me.

15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I believe it was $450. Not cost-effective indeed.

16. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You must be typing on a teletype
    :bag:

17. That I wouldn't do. If something really went wrong in 4 or 5 years (which should be a very rare situation), I would punt and get the newer model, which would probably cost less than the original, and be a pound lighter and double the power!

Seriously, I agree in a way. If you are looking to buy an amp that will last 30 years, I guess I wouldn't go with this 'modular' design. However, for many of us, the low cost, the uber reliability, and the vast improvement in tone/cost/weight ratio is worth swapping a head out every 6-10 years.

Also, the good news is, if something is going to seriously fold, it typically happens right out of the box, or within the first few hours of operation. So, again, similar to B String with his Walter, these things are so much more bullet proof than the old stuff that it isn't even funny. Yes, a very small fraction of a percentage will fail. That's a pretty good risk/reward ratio for me.

18. boing

boing Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2004
    CT, USA
    Technology has finally caught up with the market demand for light weight gear that sounds great, and manufacturers are "jumping on the bandwagon" to meet that demand. The glut of new micro heads may seem like a "fad", but it's not. It's a revolution. We're lucky enough to be living through it.

The next generation will prove that micro heads are here stay, just as the last generation has proven that lead sleds are here to stay. :)

19. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It's seems like a false economy to buy anything based on the fact that someone today can fix it. Especially gear that cost more in the first place, just so you think you'll be able to repair it if it fails in the future. You wouldn't always know it can be fixed. Parts get obsolete. Or impractical. Labor always gets expensive.

ROHS is all about recycling. Like Cell phones aren't good but for a couple of years before technology passes them up. ROHS makes them recyclable. You get your use out of the phone and recycle it. They're cheaper and better all the time.

In any case, gear like amplifiers is more reliable today than at any point in time. The same technologies and construction techniques are use in all industries. Not just MI.

Take a look inside a Markbass head and see what modern technology is all about. It's cool. They are not loosing their shirts on repairs.

20. LOL!!

This all brings to mind when I started selling used cars in the eighties. The Good Ole Boys would invariably say " Don't want one of them Toyodees or Hundas....I can't work on them!"
    To which I would reply "Sir, why would you want to buy a car you have to work on?" :confused::confused:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021