1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Bass vs. Ampeg

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by musicpbass, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Hey Everyone -

I was in GC a couple weeks ago and was checking out the Mark Bass CMD 102P combo amp. The guy there was telling me that this the new "Ampeg Killer." I laughed as he was so enthusiastic about it....

Anyway, I currently play an SVT-3 / SVT 410HLF rig, this definitely produces my ideal sound, and has plenty of power for medium to even larger gigs, and covers that low end when I drop down to D, even low C.... My only gripe is that it is so damn heavy and bulky to transport in and out of venues...

I am heavily considering trading in my Ampeg for a smaller rig....After playing 3 shows this past weekend, my back is telling me I need to do something about it.

The Mark Bass sounds like it may be worth it. The size and weight is 'REALLY' making me look in that direction. I just dont want to compromise sound.

Does anyone have any experience with the Mark Bass 102P? How does it stack up against the "classic" Ampeg?

Thanks

2. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    Subscribed!

No advice for you, but I was thinking the same thing for the past couple of days. My only difference was considering a LMII as a substitute for my 3pro.

3. skeptikal

skeptikal

Jan 24, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I absolutely love my 121P (single 12 combo). And IME i'd say you won't be sacrificing any sound. Now you might not get that classic Ampeg tone, but the volume is there and just the simple fact that you can get that much sound of a 40lb rig makes me smile every time I pick it up.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Used to have a 3 Pro and liked it OK. Got an LMII and LOVE it! For clean sounds, it's as close as you can get to an SVT in a SS or hybrid with less than 1/10 the weight. The speakers are an acquired taste in the store, but on a gig, they really shine.

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah Markbass are superb for clean tone. Get an overdrive pedal with a markbass and you'll set.

I'm in the process of considering selling my GK2001 and getting a TA501

6. Nice....thanks for the experiences....

Do you think I'll really lose a lot on the Low End? I would be cutting my current cab in half and losing those large ports on the bottom of the SVT

7. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    I have the 102P and I love it. It's very clean and supple - I hear my passing notes much clearer than I did before. You can add a single 15" speaker which will increase power and add bottom, but right out of the box it's very deep as well as punchy. My band loves it too.

8. I recently bought a MB F1 and an Ampeg SVT4 Pro and tried both of them out for under a month (thank you GC return policy). I loved Ampegs features but it weighed a ton (probably more than my Epifani UL2410) and was a little "boomy" for me. I'm loving my F1, great clean tone, plenty of lows but doesn't boom and it weighs less than 5lbs. I also bought an EBS Microbass II preamp (which has A/B channels with overdrive on one of them) and the combination of the Microbass, F1 and my Epifani cab is making my gig life very enjoyable.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Of course you will. The HLF is one of the lowest cabs on the market. If you want to keep it, get an LMII. Same head as in the combos.

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

I was shopping for the 15" Ampeg when the salesman showed me the 121P I audtioned them side by side and the MB just blew away the Ampeg - I was totally surprised.

I have a large Karlson cabinet with a 15" Kappa Pro driver - together they are monstrous, but I have never yet needed to use the large cabinet. I put the MB in a corner, on a stool, and it fills any room I am playing, and our drummer is LOUD! Anything bigger and we go through the PA and the MB is my monitor. The convenience of being able to personally carry ALL my gear in one load is amazing.

By the way - last week AGAIN a musician came up while we were tearing down and wanted to see "where all that bass was coming from". When I showed him the little box in the corner he almost fell off the stage.

11. WalWarrior

WalWarrior Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    Hey Guys -

I have a LM II and got a 102P. I used it at two rehearsals and the sound was awesome. It dawned on me that I bought the wrong impedance ( 8 ohms ) which would only allow 300W. I since returned the unit to get a 4 ohm 102P. My question is if I add a 151P, can you mix those as the 151p is an 8 ohm cab? the LM II has two outputs, a speakon and a regular 1/4.

Does anyone have or have tried this combo? How does it sound? I ordered my 4 ohm 102P to be delivered to GC, so I can try to hookup the above setup on their dime before I buy the 151. Thanks for your thoughts.

DM

12. No, you CANNOT mix those. Markbass heads only go down to 4 ohms, which means you can use either 2 x 8 ohms cabs, or 1 x 4 ohm cab.

DO NOT USE A 4 and 8 ohm cab with your MB.

13. WalWarrior

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    OK - I understand. So in order to utilize a 2X10 + 1X15 setup, both would be at 8 ohms. ( As Markbass doesn't make a 4 ohm 1X15 ) Max Wattage then out of the LMII would be 300 W.

Thanks for your input

14. I THINK if you had that setup (2x10 @ 8 ohm + 1x15@ 8 ohm), your LMII would "see" total loading at 4 ohms and deliver "500 watts."

15. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    yes

16. WalWarrior

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    yes! Duh! That's absolutely correct. Thanks for not coming up the back of my head.

"pulling a Chris Farley" on myself right now.

IDIOT! :)

Thanks for the info - Take care

17. That would be a nice combo, increase your low end too:

CMD 102P & Traveler 151P

Its probably still 3 times lighter than my Ampeg rig.... Just a bit pricier.....

You can make that 102P combo 500w @4ohm or 300w @ 8

I think I may have to head to GC this week.... 0% for 12mos....30 day return policy.....I'm beginning to salivate....

:hyper:

18. MaccaMan1964

MaccaMan1964 Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Moved to Miami
    Hi! I had the SVTIII Pro and the "regular" Ampeg 4x10 cab. I bought the MarkBass 210 combo this summer and sold the Ampeg! And I used an SVT for YEARS!

Don't be fooled by the sound in your house or in the store. In my practice room, the Ampeg sounded better. But, on stage, the MarkBass mids cut through the mix MUCH BETTER and have made it easier for me to be heard. As a result, I can actually LOWER the volume knob or play a bit less aggressively and my fingers are less tired and because of the use of less sheer force, I am playing cleaner, I think.

Bottom line, for the money, the sound/tone and the weight - MarkBass is tough to beat!! Hope this helps!

Enjoy!
    Paul

19. WalWarrior

Mar 20, 2006
    MD suburbs
    hey guys -

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to go reclaim my 102P ( in 8 ohms ) Add the 151 and I'll be set. I have a couple other rigs, I haven't played out with the LM II yet. Just used the 102P and LMII for rehearsals at another studio. In my rehersal studio, I have a racked Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and run one side (Amp A ) to an Eden 2X10 8 ohm and the other side ( Amp B ) to a 4 ohm 4X10.

The markbass stuff I can carry with one arm. This stuff is awesome!

Take care and thanks everyone for the info

Dennis

20. Good Info Paul....

Thanks!!