1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jonfenderp, Feb 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jonfenderp

Jonfenderp

Feb 29, 2016
    Hi I'm the new owner of a little mark Bass 400w head and 2x10 4 ohm speaker. I bought this set up thinking quality from the reviews I've read. However I am experiencing problems and because it's past its 14 day no quibble return policy, I'm in the repair loop.

The problem is a loud popping noise at higher output Levels so only experiencing this at gigs. It is not clipping. the input gain is way under the blue light and yet when I tap the strings a very loud popping noise occurs. I returned the amp head already. The supplier could not find any fault. I took my active fender P to an electronics engineer. He couldn't find any faults. Thought it could possibly be static build and discharge. So went wireless.

still getting same problem. Help please

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

If it sounds like static electricity discharging it is most likely the bass in my experience. Let's do some troubleshooting.

Does the amp have any issues with no basses or cables plugged in? Are you able to test another speaker or speakon cable? Does the issue persist when you use the bass through other rigs? Have you tried a new battery in the bass? Does the issue only occur when you touch the strings on the bass or does anything else cause it? If you hold your fingers on the strings, near the bridge or stock and away from where you play, does tapping on the strings still cause the issue?

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I didn't see any 400w models on their website, but I used to have a Little Mark II, which is 500w. Even with the gain below clipping, if I cranked it super hard, it would simply run out of gas and make a horrendous clipping sound. It wasn't a problem with the amp...it was simply giving me more than it could give cleanly and clipping. Could it be you've reached that point with it, too?

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I must say , my thoughts were along Jimmys thinking....But I never think a 210 is adequate for a live band

All my markbass heads are 500 watts....but Italian made ...and 10 years old I think??? Wow

BassmanPaul likes this.
  5. I feel you are hearing your 2x10’s woofers bottoming out with too many lows and too much power.

As Murphy opined above, a single 2x10 is not sufficient to play a gig IMHO. I own four such cabinets, Acme B2, but I have found that a pair in a vertical stack are enough for the gigs I play.

Bob Growler, AlexanderB and murphy like this.
  6. 3k Mylz

3k Mylz

Oct 4, 2009
    From what I can see You're Maxing your drivers out- check your cabinet rms rating, because at 4 ohms your cab should be rated from 4-500 watts. If less, you've got to change cabinets if you are going to stretch your amps legs.

If you're only experiencing at gigs, are you able to DI direct rather than MIC the sound? Could be the Foh equipment also.

7. Jonfenderp

Jonfenderp

Feb 29, 2016

Ok problem apparently solved, thanks for all your suggestions. I returned the amp head and cab and cables to Gear for Music for a second time and their engineer ran some tests. He initially called back reporting he was unable to replicate the problem. I asked him to persist pointing out that the problem only manifested itself at gig volumes. A short while later he calls back with good news, he has managed to find the problem. It was actually the speakon cable port on the amp. A bad connection which, when playing at high volumes, caused a glitch from vibrations running through the amp from the speaker upon which the amp was resting. The amp has been sent off to Mark Bass's authorised repair centre, Real Electronics for repair. The amp and cab was returned to the dealer on March 4th, I'm still waiting for the amp to be returned. Frustrating but finally may be getting somewhere.