1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Bass??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stedtale, Dec 12, 2005.

1. HI!

Anyone out there is the vast bass universe ever tried Mark Bass Amps (www.markbass.it)? They seem like great amps, I am interested in the TA503. I did a search in the forum, but I couldn't find much info.

I am especially inteested in the 4 band parametric EQ and the 8.6lbs. I'm thinking of getting something along these lines an paring it with a LDS 2x8 for a nice killer lightweight rig.

Anyone use Mark Bass stuff out there?

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Haven't played through one, but I'm real close to dumping my ThunderFunk 550 and my WW Ultra to get a MarkBass. I've read and heard nothing but good things about these amps.

3. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    me too , and all their heads are under 10 lbs!

4. Landyachtz

Landyachtz

Sep 5, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    They seem to be very hard to find in the US.............

5. That's actually heavier than the WW and only slightly lighter than the TF. I have heard some nice things about the newer models, but at this point, they are not available in the US (at least as of a couple of months ago). I can't imagine them sounding any better than the WW or TF though.

6. kasbrey

kasbrey

Aug 23, 2002
    Northampton UK
    I've had a Little Mark 11 for a few months now and it is a superb amp. I heard it a/b'd with an Ashdown pre and a QSC PLX and it was louder, warmer and punchier with loads of attack. I can't imagine doing a gig where I would need to turn the master up beyond a third of max.
    The new cabs are equally stunning and really light.
    When the States gets a distributor this forum will be full of positive posts about Markbass.

7. *I own the older LM and am awaiting del. of the newer LMII head. I bought it from Dave at Club Bass.

The T503 is their flagship model. From the info I have researched, and after speaking with Dave, the tubes give a looser feel to the amp. Its more of the "rock" version in their lineup.
    I would suggest ginving Dave a call at Club Bass. I am sure he will be able to give you the info your looking for.

I will post a review of the head when I get it.

I personally think Mark Bass will blow the doors off the US market. Great tone and value in such a small affordable package. I think they call that "Bang for the Buck"! :)

.Happy Holidays

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

While Markbass make sweet amps, comparing them to WW or Thunderfunk is giving too much credit.
    They're honest, clear and well defined.
    I'd compare combos and little mark heads to Yorkville or Nemesis.
    The TA503 sounds a lot like an Eden WT, with more definition and a tighter tone but a bit less punch.

They're very successful in Europe because they cost half the price of these units, which won't be the case in USA.

9. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I know Markbass doesn't reply to message for nothing. I've contacted them three times, once personally and two other times for customer's and have never gotten a reply!

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Strangely, my experience as well. However, every email to Dave in Toronto, or to their distributer in Canada, their main distributor in Europe and their distributor in Switzerland was responded to within the business day.

Try Dave in Toronto.

12. They have been spotty in responding to my emails. Once it took 2 emails over a period of time to get a reply. Another time they got right back to me within 2 days.

I dont know how they set up their system to respond to emails. It sure leaves plenty of room for improvement.

To be fair they are not the only overseas company that has been slow to respond IME.

Heres' hoping they will work the bugs out of their system asap.

Happy Holidays :bassist:

13. I knew you guys could help.

The main thing I am interested in is the weight and the 4-band para EQ. The only two I have been able to find that fit into this are EA iAmps and the Markbass (is the Thunderfunk para EQ too?). But, the Markbass has a tube pre-amp, which I like the option of having versus all SS. But, the EA runs super quiet.

14. Thunderfunk550 and Eden550... both wonderful. I prefer the TF.

Thunderfunk..... 4 band semi-parametric, all solid state, very high build quality 15 pounds... very loud for its 500 watts into 4ohms.... very cool 'timbre' control and 'switch' option that give it a lot of flexibility.

Eden... tube pre, three band semi-parametric, about the same weight and size, safe to 2ohms.

15. So, you're tellin' me to do more research... :)

16. The Mark Bass stuff is very nice. I like my EA more, but that's me. I think it is unfair to compare it to Yorkville or Nemesis. The Mark stuff is far superior to those.

As far as being hard to find, Rusty at Midwest Music in Cincinnati has some stuff in stock, and some stuff on the way. He is a super nice guy and should give you a good deal if you tell him that Chris Rhoton sent you.

17. I tried some MarkBass stuff at Cherry Beach rehearsal studios here in Toronto and I was quite impressed. I'm sorry but I don't recall which model but it was a amp head with compressor and round VU meter put through a MarkBass 4x10 cab. I found the tone super tube-y, warm and soft - I had everything set to 12 noon and it was an audition for a new band so I didn't want to mess with the amp to much but wanted to concentrate on my playing.

Dave from Club Bass told me that Cherry Beach had bought alot of last years models from a distributor - nice to see a lot of fine bass gear go into a rehearsal space.

Dave also had said that MarkBass equipment excels in size, weight to volume and tone. Little packages that sound deep, full and great.

If I was looking (or should I say had the money) for a new amp I would take a close look at the CMD 121H 1x12 450 watt combo with an additional 1x12 or 1x15 MarkBass speaker cab to add for the louder gigs.

18. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Send an email to Dave at Clubbass in Toronto. He can help you out. He's great.

I strongly recommend you try gear out before buying it. I don't know your "sound" that you're looking for, and that's a function of head, speakers, eq, bass, fingers etc. There is a lot of great gear out there with flexible tonal qualities to help you nail it, and some of that has been posted here.

The Markbass satisfied my main requirements of weight, flexibility, power, reliability, reputation and price. I play many differnt rooms without PA support and I have never been unable to get a sound that I like. One thing that I have noticed with my head is that it is loud. I don't play it loud, but it can sure produce it. I have the red Little Mark F-1 and I carry it in a laptop bag. I have yet to run it at 4 ohms for the extra poop because it has been perfect with the 1-15 SWR cab I power. Small, failrly lightweight setup. Big sound when needed. Flexible eq. I don't need muchmore than that.

Hope this helps. I know they aren't available all over the USA. I hope they sort that out. Send an email to Dave and get his thoughts on helping you out. He's a good guy. Tell him Brian in Geneva sent you.

cheers

19. vision

vision It's all about the groove! Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Is it true that Markbass was the manufacturer for the Epifani heads?

20. ModulusAcacia

ModulusAcacia Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 22, 2000
    Middletown/Cincy, OH WHO-DEY!
    owner: J. Kennedy Guitar Repair, Guitar tech for Walk the Moon
    I've owned two Little Mark I's (i bought one as a demo just becuase it was a great deal). I previously had an Eden wt-550, then a Euphonic iAmp 350 and the mark bass smoked both of them in great warm tone, and after having my EA take a dive off my old Ashdown cab and need a $250 repair I got the Mark bass, which is built like a tank! I also got mine from good 'ol uncle Rusty at Midwest Music in Cincinnati. (Chris and I spend too much time there!) I think he's still got at least a single 15" cab in there, maybe more. Currently I've got a Schroeder 1210 powered by the little mark and it's pert near the best tone I've come across.