1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Egan's tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowend65, Dec 9, 2006.

1. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I posted a little movie of Mark Egan playing with Joan Osborne earlier and now its makin me crazy...

What does Egan use as his rig for fretless? The tone he gets is just flattening me. His website does not have the gear listed

Anyone know?

2. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Mark uses his signature Pedulla Pentabuzz (fretless fiver) through an Eden rig. Not sure what his settings are, but if I had to guess I'd say he likes treble a lot.

:cool:

3. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Michigan
    When playing with Osborne Egan recorded with a vintage jazz bass.
    Live on stage he used a Rapture with a single pup in the sweet spot.
    Can't recall the amp he used.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Mark has for years used Pedula Buzzes as his main frettless basses . He has used a jazz for some fretted studio work. He usually uses a Lexicon Digital Delay to thicken up his sound with the frettless. I've seen him live twice, (at festivals) both times he used the house system for back-line.

5. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Anyone know which strings?

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I vaguely recall him being an endorser for D'Addario.

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    You could always send Mark Egan an email. The worst thing that could happen is that you wouldn't get a response. Who knows, he might give you a lot of great info that you could share with all of us. ;)

Joe

8. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    +1, there was a forum/chat section on his web site. I haven't been there for a while, but I did e-mail him after seeing him live at a club in my area. He responded fairly quickly. I bought his CD "Freedom Town" and requested that he autograph it, and he did. He seems like a very down-to-earth and humble kind of guy.

9. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I send him a note... we'll see if he responds

10. Flag2Flag

Flag2Flag

Dec 30, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Wow. revelation, i just relized that Mark Egan came to play at my high school when i was a freshman. Sorry about that random thought. I just had to share that. lol

11. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mark is featured on a very good episode of BassCast. I can't remember which number, but it is one of my favorites. He talks a lot about his development as player and a musician.

12. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I visited Mark's "WaveRoom" and found this:

Joe

13. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Mark's answer:

14. Mark uses Pedulla buzz (fretless) basses. He also uses roundwound strings for a lot of growl. I can get the same tone with my Pentabuzz and through my SWR amps. I believe he uses Eden amps however.