Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark Hoppus Bass Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PeaveyTNT, Sep 11, 2002.

1. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    I love the Jazz Bass Body... I love the P neck... Mark Hoppus sig is a poifect mix for me... EXEPPT!!!! i hate the way it sounds. it has no brightness... just sorta... dark... not alot of sound control... any other basses that would fill my void and have more sound control?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Off hand, I'd say a regular P bass...

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    If the sound ain't right, who cares what it looks like, its materials, or feel is.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just throw some different electronics in it.

Those Quarter pound pickups dont so it for me either.

Peace
    Nick

5. I think you'd be much happier with a P bass anyway.

6. At the very least, they look like a good idea.

However, I'd never play a signature bass, no matter whos it was.

7. what are you, nuts? that bass is practically all treble. it's one of the most aggressive pickups i've heard.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Its actually the mids that are missing from that bass.

Peace
    Nick

9. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I second that.

I own one.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ouch!

I feel your pain. (j/k ;) )

Do you like the stock pickups, or did you swap em out?

If ever got one, Id sand off the finish, clear coat it, and put in EMG's with a J PU at the bridge.

They look (body shape, not color) and feel cool, but thats about it.

Peace
    Nick

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Nah, it's not even worth all those mods. For the price of one of those new, you could find a much better bass that suits your needs, like a Tobias Toby, MTD Kingston, build your own Frankenbass with J-body and a P-neck. Hell, get four Essex P-basses for that price ;)

And talk about versatility. Might as well just take that away that one volume knob and leave only the output jack :rolleyes:

12. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    if you don't like the way it sounds.. you shouldn't get it..

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I dont think thats much work. Asside from waiting for the finish to cry, Its a really straight forward quick job.

If you like a P neck and PU and Jazz body, why not go for it?

I also dont know how much one of those things cost anyways.

Peace
    Nick

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    $489 at Musican's Friend. And seeing as how it only comes with a P-style pup, installing a J-style pup at the bridge would involve more than a little work, like cutting a hole in the bass and routing out to the control cavity, and installing new electronics. Not worth it at all, IMO.

15. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico

...Warmoth...

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ill guess it already has a large jazz bass style control cavity, and routing for the other pickup isnt that hard as long as you know what you are doing.

Installing electronics is also pretty simple. The biggest pain is tearin out the electric sander, which still is pretty basic.

Then again, I defretted my bass, and am the official guitar tech for all my friends, so maybe its not that big adeal to me.

Peace
    Nick