1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Hoppus bass opinion?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgod76, Oct 18, 2016.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I'm looking for opinions on the Fender Mark Hoppus bass.

I'm not a fan of how many buttons and switches my MIA Jag has, and I'm hoping to sell it, buy a Hoppus, and put a few bucks in my pocket.

I would prefer opinions from those who:

1. Owned or own a Hoppus (2nd generation version with reverse P pickup). People who have played it once in Guitar Center for 5 minutes need not respond.

2. Own several basses, of all caliber levels, not just a giant stable of -$500 basses.

3. Have owned said bass for a while, not two weeks. I'm trying to avoid honeymoon opinions.

4. Are not Blink 182 trolls. I'm not looking to buy this for the artist.

Give me your honest feedback. I'm a P bass guy, but I like the offset body, P neck, reverse pickup config, 1/4 pounders, and simplicity of this model.

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    1. I've owned my Hoppus (a 2015 in white blonde) since April 2015

2. I have several basses and have played dozens (maybe hundreds?) or basses. It's my second favourite bass (only to my Geddy Lee Jazz)

3. I've had mine for well over a year.

4. While I am a fan of blink-182 and have been since 1999, that had a minimal factor in my decision to buy this bass.

Overall, it's a solid bass that sounds great. If you don't like Mark Hoppus, his name is only on the neck plate so that's an easy change. The neck feels amazing, I find it much more comfy than the American Standard P neck. If you have any more questions I'd be happy to help.

3. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I appreciate your answers. I'm on the fence about selling my Jaguar, but I'm just frustrated every time I play it. I think this might be a good replacement. Is there anything you did not like about the hoppus? And no, I don't care if his name is on the neck plate. It doesn't really bother me. I just know there are some snobs on this page who snub their nose any sort of artist series bass.

4. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    Anything I don't like? Hmmmm... I don't like how quickly the body has yellowed. I'll take some current pics with the ones from the day I bought it. I can't think of anything else.

If I were you, I'd try to play one before buying. You may not like the neck after having the American Jaguar. I've played an American Jaguar and I loved the slim neck.

5. I have one of the newer model, ash-body green Hoppus basses. I much prefer the feel of my new American Std P-bass, both the finish and shape of the neck. If you're looking for one, let me know.

6. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    My Fender AVRI 58 P has a beefy neck. I'm cool with a chunky neck.

The reason I ask for other opinions on this, is because I have not been able to find one in person.

7. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Details about fit and finish?
    PM me with price and pics

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I had a Hoppus it's one of the best sigs out there l modified mine with a stacked pot for tone and volume. The feel of those basses is really nice and l love the necks.

9. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    The Hoppus isn't what I'd call a chunky neck. It's slim, yet still a P neck, but very different than a Jaguar neck.

10. I have one. I really fet though that it needed tone control so I added one. The seymour pickup is great for harder rock. I love the colors also. Just did not like how bright it was with just a volume control.

Attached Files: