1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Hoppus Bass Pickup Height

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by levaz, Mar 23, 2013.

1. levaz

levaz

Jun 24, 2012
    Hi Guys,

I dont have alot of knowledge on wiring or height between the strings and the pickups which is why I shoudnt of decided to take my bass apart lol.

Anyway, I put my seymour duncan quarter pounder pickups back in the right way and re-strung the guitar, only problem i have now is that i dont know the correct distance needed between the strings and the pickups.

I cant see any information on seymour duncans website, can anyone help me please?

Thankyou

2. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    I usually press the strings (individually) down on the last fret and set the p.u. about a 1/4" or a little less and move them away from the strings until it sounds good.Then sit it aside wait an hour or so and try it again to be sure.if you liked the way it sounder before taking it apart i make the p.u. covers with masking tape at the point where it goes into the pickguard for easy replacement later.Trust your ears.

3. levaz

levaz

Jun 24, 2012
    Pudge thanks but surely there is a factory default setup? theres nothing worse than been paranoid that you havent set the thing up properly, any ideas? - Pictures attached

Attached Files:

4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    The height is correct, when it sounds correct ...

What is correct sex?
    Do I have to be tender or do I have to be rough and give her animal names?
    It depends on you and your partner. If both feel good - it is good.

If A an D string are not loud enough, put the coils higher in the middle.
    If you want much output and punch, put them as near a possible.
    If you want less output and a more neutral sound, srew the coil in ...

5. levaz

levaz

Jun 24, 2012
    trouble is i dont have access to an amp, i only get access to a pas system for 2 hours once a week and i dont want to spend my time tinkering when my friends want to play.

Is there anyone out there with these pickups that can provide me with measurements between the strings and magnets?

Thanks

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    The link in my post #4 has the default factory measurements.

7. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    My tip ...

make the coils a bit higher in the middle so that the distance to the strings is nearly the same.
    Take a srew driver to the rehersal. If you hear that one string is not loud enough, make a half turn and hear if it's better ...
    That costs you 10 seconds.