Mark Hoppus Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sean S, May 6, 2003.

1. what do you people think of the Mark Hoppus P-bass? i'm thinking of getting one, but just seeing what you guys think
  2. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    it's not your fault but this question is one of the most controversial threads we get on a regular basis,before you want to know about a certain bass do a search and see if its been done before,chances are it has been discussed b-4,i myself am guilty of asking a Question B-4 checking to see if its been done already, By the way IMO i cannot stand that bass,its overpriced and sounds like doo-doo,i can think of alot more basses i would rather have than that one. AND I AM A FENDER BASS PLAYER ONLY,i dont play anything but FENDERS(except my japanese p-bass copy i made frett-less)and still i dont like that bass. its nothing but a typical mex bass w/ duncan p-ups and only one volume knob, thanks but no-thanks i would rather buy a regular p-bass anyday!:D
  3. It seems to be much the same as a standrd P-bass, except for the body shape. I suggest you try one out, and see if you like it. As usual with Fenders though, be sure to check out the construction quality.
  4. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Get away from that bass! As far as you can! No tone knob, sounds like crap...:mad:
  5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Actually, I like this bass. I'm not a fan of Blink 182 at all, so I'm not just saying I like it becuase I like the band. I think it is overpriced, but I like the jazz body better than the P bass body. The pickups are pretty good too. I think it would be smarter too just buy a MIJ p bass though.
  6. A definate NO-NO! Stay away from this bass, as far away as possible. Why would someone want to pay more for this when you could get a P-Bass, which is the exact same thing except the Mark Hoppus doesnt have a Tone knob. Thats real smart take out a key component of the bass and charge more for it. Just get a MIM P-Bass, you will be alot more happier.
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
  8. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i own an japanese made p/j fender bass and a mark hoppus bass sounds nothing like any p-bass i ever heard,it has an odd sound and you cant change the tone BECAUSE THERE'S NO KNOB:mad: if i had a choice i would get a regular japan made p-bass,they smoke the M/HOPPUS bass,to be honest i have never anything good about the bass(except from a few 14yr old teenie boopers who think he's great)even the bass mags give it the thumbs down its really a poorly made bass,every single one i played had a bowed neck.COINCEDENCE ? I THINK NOT !!:mad:
  9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i acutally played one and liked it!
    whats wrong with out having a tone knob? thats why amps have eqs.

my fretless doesn't have anything except an output jack.

10. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Swimming against the tide of opinion, I would like to say that I really like my Mark Hoppus bass. I thought I was making a foolish purchase, but after getting it set up correctly, I discovered that it played really well for my hands. The tone is bold and loud, though, as many have said, lacking in variety. I even like the colors, and, yes, I bought the pink one (please, have mercy). I think I got lucky by getting one that didn't have the seemingly standard manufacturing imperfections. I own many quality basses, but can't seem to put this one down! Look and play as many as you can before selecting one.
  11. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Re: lack of tone knob.

How many people really screw with the knobs on their bass during a set? If the bass sounds good, play it. And anyway, It'd be pretty easy to drill a hole in the pickguard and add your own tone pot.

And if you want a stock tone knob, I'm pretty sure the Steve Harris bass has the same pickup as the Mark Hoppus.
  12. People can say all they want about the bass to try to change someones mind, but it is all up to personal opinion. I for one would like a bass with no tone knob. Unless it is active it doesnt make a significant enough change in sound (for me of course) to make it useful. I no longer have a passive bass, but when my P-bass was passive the tone knob was always left full on. I for one would enjoy a Mark Hoppus sig. bass, but only if it was offered in some different colors.:)

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    actually, the bodies of the two instruments are totally different. the hoppus has a j bass body, and imo looks pretty cool for what it is.

as for lacking a tone knob, that's what you have tone controls on your amp for :rolleyes:.
  14. Not to be contentious, but my amps have no tone controls. Well, they do, but I use the EQ preset, so turning the knobs does nothing. I also know of no exact equivalent to rolling off the tone control on a P-Bass--it's not exactly the same as a treble cut. My P-Basses really do need tone knobs because I can't stand how they sound with the tone knob wide open.
  15. tragos

tragos Guest

Actually, I just bought a Hoppus after a three-month search for the perfect bass. I played Fender (MIM, MIA, reissues, signatures), Reverend, Washburn, Tobias, Peavey, and a lot of other basses, but this was the one. I've been playing since 1986, and I've owned a lot of gear.

I don't know much about Hoppus or Blink 182, and I play in two very different bands--a blues/rock/country trio and a rock/noise/punk four-piece. This bass sounds absolutely fantastic for both with TI flatwounds through my GK800RB and Ampeg Portabass cab. Full, rich, P-bass tone.

The bass actually has quite a few things about it that really impressed me. "Bone" nut, string-through-body bridge, P-bass neck, J-bass body, Seymour Duncan pickup, no tone control, etc. The fit and finish were also 100% flawless.

Prices on these basses are dropping dramatically. I walked out the door with the bass, brand new, and a top-of-the-line Fender gigbag for about $420. There's nothing else even close to this bass in the price range (but price wasn't why I bought it--the feel and the tone were why I bought it). And I'm even growing to love the surf green color . . .

Anyway, just wanted to respectfully dissent with the people that don't like it. Price was not a consideration for me, and I chose this over everything else I played. I love this bass!

16. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Bad deal.
    Let's see....
    M.Hoppus Sig bass-529.00 USD
    Precision Standard-389.00 USD

If you add on to that the fact that it's debatable whether the pickups are any better or not (I like the stock ones better) then it's clearly a rip off. Unless you just have to have the J-body with the P-neck, you'd do better elsewhere.
  17. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I do like the string through body feature. I wish my MIJ P bass had that. I had the 1/4 lber pickups and they were too harsh. The vintage 62 pups are the best for a P, IMO.
  18. if it's the sound you want, it's a damn good bass. i also find the pickup too harsh, but if you just want to rock face all the time this is the bass for you. also, i NEVER EVER turn down the tone knob during a set, so that's not an issue.

May 7, 2003
    i have played one of these basses at every music store in my area and every one of them had a crappy neck w/ crappy frett work,but a buddy of mine got one last week that was alot better made :confused: it just goes back to the lack of strict quality control fender mex has,the sound is ok and the colors are refreshing change from the norm but i'll take a japanese fender anyday!:D