Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark Hoppus - Blink 182

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Paul182, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Paul182

Paul182

May 18, 2005
    Ireland
    He is my favorite bassist and is/was in my favorite band.
    I know most of you won't think he's any good but he always
    plays a good bassline for the song and some of his lines are classic. He's the fastest downstroker I've heard too.
    And he does all this while pogoing around the stage like a madman. :hyper:
    And he plays the coolest bass ever. :cool:

2. *Puts tape on mouth before going on an anti Blink 182/punk rant.*
    Oh, and for Jazz basses teh Geddy lee has pure ownage over his.

3. Lets change the subject before this one gets out of hand.

so did you guys hear about the new EBMM basses? two pickups!
    cool!

ok, well i tried...
    this thread appears to be doomed...

4. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    *equips himself with a bucket full of weapons, helmets and shields

oh ohhh....

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    If you like fast downstroking, I'd recommend you listen to Jason Newsted's work. Much faster than Hoppus. Oh, and though I really don't like Mark Hoppus, I must admit the intro to 'Carousel' is pretty cool.

Graeme

6. Im not gonna hate you for enjoying him , I dont , but its cool man.

IMO, his inspirations are better than him though, check out Paul Simonon from the Clash for sure.

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah, Carousel is cool but it's kind of funny that he has to sit down to play it...............

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I will say it again, unless you know him personally, how do you know what his true talent it? On recording he fits the song, doesn't add too much to the music, and sings in the majority of the songs, but he could sit around learning Paganini violin pieces on bass for all anyone who isn't friends with him personally could know.

Speaking hypothetically of course. :D

9. Yeah, I bet he does a mean Jaco.................. :D .

*waits to be flamed for that comment*

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Weak. You see, when you have your strap so low it affects you in such a manner, consider sucking it up and look "not cool" :rollno:

But other than that, Mark is probably one of the greatest bassists I've ever heard.

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    At least Paul's grammar is alright.

12. conk97

conk97

May 2, 2005
    redditch, uk
    sorry i cant let that comment go. If playing 3chord punk makes you great then why the hell am i trying not to play 3chord anything? :eyebrow:

13. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm almost positive that he was being sarcastic.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ? No actually, I've been a huge Mark Hoppus fan ever since I saw the "All the Small things" music video. From there I went back and checked out all of their material. His playing really is some of the best I've ever heard.

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    This thread makes me laugh. :hyper:

Matt Till's sarcasm is damned convicing.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm still not sure what you mean by sarcasm...

... alright I'm going to stop.

Marky Fizzle is a solid pop punker, other than carosel, I've never heard anything flashy come out of him, which makes me wonder why his playing is so inspirational to kids. Regardless... it is... and that's cool. He's making people want to play, and kudos to him for that. I've made a few kids want to play bass, which feels good. But Mr. Hoppus has made thousands want to play... which is really cool.

17. *Munkeh*

*Munkeh*

Apr 16, 2005
    London, UK
    I was wondered what's so good about Mark's playing in carousel, it's not fast or anything or with any techniques, it just sounds melodic to me, is that what's the only thing good about it? :confused:

18. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I actually really like Mark Hoppus. I think he has an awesome voice, and he plays what he thinks his music needs.

19. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    :scowl: Someone stop me before I slap this guy accross the face with a raw trout. LOL no I am just kidding. To each is own, and Mark has accomplished a hell of a lot more than I have as a bassist. He is definetly not a great bassist in my eyes, but for some reason kids dig him.