Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mark hoppus J not bad at all

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilovefruitpie, Jun 8, 2005.

1. ilovefruitpie

ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    hey guys, i recently picked up a mark hoppus fender jazz bass for 230 on ebay. i wasent expecting much from what you guys all said about it but it sounds incredible. its not bad at all the color is sweet (daphnie blue) it plays great and is perfectly balanced unlike my thunderbird lol. you guys should really give one a chance instead of just deciding you dont like it because whose signature it is.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've owned one, and I stand by the comments most people have made, at least the logical ones anyway. My biggest beef with it was that it was very one dimensional from a tone standpoint. It had one core tone, and that was it.

3. ilovefruitpie

ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    lol yea thats true but i think that one tone sounds good

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I found it was a good tone, just not what I was looking for. I don't think that bass does the mellow thing very well.

5. toad

toad

Jun 26, 2002
    NYC
    I have one. Didn't like the 1/4 Pounders; switched it out with Fenders, added a tone knob. You know what it sounded like? A Precision. I like it.

6. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    I believe he plays a modified Precision - no???

7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8

That's what I was thinking. But, then I thought about the fact he uses a j neck with a precision body or something like that.

8. I think it was j body with p neck and pick up

9. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Yup hiderebirth was dead on.Nice contoured jazz bass but with a P bass neck and the one P pickup.I quite like the look of the pink one!

10. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    But fender discontinued the best beach color of that bass, however that bass is just a marketing thing.

11. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    My friend has one, and I like it a lot. It is kind of annoying that you only get one tone out of it, but other than that I like it.

If I were to get one, I would install a thumb ramp however.

12. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    your exactly right, I happen to love that bass, and I dont see why everyone thinks mark is such a bad bassist, yes obviously he's not as good as stew and jaco, but he still writes cool basslines. You guys should check out the song carousel by blink, thats marks " best song " that he's done in his mind, saw it on an interview.

Anyways back to the bass, I would get one but there's more important things to get like an amp and a stage bass, I would feel really weird playing anyones signiture model on stage. In my mind that is probably one of the coolest sounds I've ever heard from a bass, I will be getting one as soon as I have what I need.

13. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    One thing I'm a tad confused about. Many people love the idea of just having a single pickup and a volume control on the bass, i.e. like the Anthony Jackson bass or something. It's seen as "organic" where you really control the dynamics of the tone through your hands and technique and do your EQing on your amp. Now, the Mark Hoppus bass feeds a single pickup through a volume control (no tone knob) and yet many find that "limiting" or "one-dimensional."

Is image (i.e. whose name is on the bass) really that strong that the same or similar ideas are divergently good or bad in different contexts? (albeit, yes, a Fodera easily has vastly superior build quality over a MIM Fender, but you get what I mean, right?)

Then again, I *am* the type of person who prefers a bass that can do a single tone really really well rather than one that does a wide range of tones only so-so. I'm a simplicity itself, set-it-and-forget-it kind of guy who prefers to alter tone dynamics through plucking hand position and technique. (Granted, yes, my two basses kinda go against that mentality since both have active electronics w/ 2 band EQs. But I'd always wanted a Warwick, which can go "organic" in passive mode, and I bought my backup Soundgear because it played so well.)

I'm thinking a Hoppus with a Jazz neck with Japan or US build quality would be more up my alley. I vastly prefer the feel of Jazz necks over P necks.

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Hes just another bass player of the bunch whos got lucky to hit the right style with his band, and he plays the plainest punk bass lines but he has just one guitar that makes slow riffs and breaks and thats why you hear him.

15. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    yeah I understand he's not the best bassist, but besides bands like the ramones and rancid, sinse there true punk, blink is more pop punk in my opinion. But I mean look at bands like greenday, Mike dirnt isn't much better than mark in my opinion, his basslines are dull in my opinion, the only ones I've liked were his "solo" songs if you will, with warning and longview. But other than that nothing has really impressed me.

Im actually now considering buying the mark hoppus bass and buying a new neck plate to replace the one with his name on it, I will not play a bass onstage with anyone else's name on it unless that is the only bass in the whole entire place. I love the sound of his bass and I to never touch the tone nob on my ibanez, its always on full and never moves, all my eqing is done on the amp. My guitarist always has problems becuase he has about 4-5 knobs on his guitar and he doesn't know what they do, simple is just better for me. I dont know what im gonna do.

16. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Yeah, but mike drint IMHO WAS a good bass player, now adays he became just another guy with a huge guitar... what a shame he used to play cool stuff.

A guitarrist with 5 knobs in his guitar!!! haha funny image bet he always ends up with a picasso face and yelling "hell im just playing with distortion tonight".

17. You'll have to do something about that "Fender" on the headstock then.

18. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Wow I can see a punk wannabe hiding its bass brand with duck tape cos hes not a sellout (but he knows that he bought that bass because of its brand), and all because of u!!!!! :D

EDIT: i wrote DUCK TAPE lol, i meant duct tape.

19. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    a) carousel f-ing rocks
    b)i miss hardcore walking mike d.
    c) live mark plays that bass with the burberry pattern on it. after i got over being disgusted i thought it was funny.

20. :rollno: :rolleyes: