Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mark hoppus of blink 182

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 5, 2002.

1. YES

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  2. NO

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. NO, He is a sorry excuse for a bassist and should get his bass taken away

10 vote(s)
    38.5%
  4. kinda, sorda, maybe, just a little bit

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. this type of poll and thread has been done to death and should be closed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    I was just curious to know what people think of mark hoppus of blink 182 and his bass. thanks

NOTE: Let me just say that in my opinion i think he sucks huge monkey balls and somebody should take his bass away.

2. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    personally, i don't care at all what mark hoppus is doing or playing. he's just a guy in a band doing what he wants to do. i don't like blink182 but as long as i'm not forced to hear their music i couldn't care less what thy're doing. i think people should stop whining about what a crappy bassist he is and get a life.

well thats my opinion anyway...

3. i vote that this thread be closed, cause its just gonna turn into a huge blink-bash.

4. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Exactly. Theres a ton of bassists out there who play root notes and yet no one seems to focus on any of them, they're like, obsessed with insulting Mark Hoppus.

5. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Do a search. This topic has been done to death.

6. I agree...except I voted yes.

7. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    I apologize for posting this. i was just curious on what people thought of him not the band. i didnt know this has been posted before. ignore it if you dont like it.

8. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I actually feel sorry for him

Mainly because of that band Boxcar Racer (or as I like to call the band, "F*** the Bass Player")

I could never root note bash, it's just way too boring for me.

9. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    i agree, i think box car racer is pretty good and there bass player has a cool sound

10. i heard that boxcar racer, and it sounds like blink, just no singing from mark. but hoppus sucks, he had to sit down, and take THREE attempts at a solo(which also sucked, it was just somewhat fast notes) and he said he wrote it ten years ago! thats bad. so i voted he's horrible, but thats my opinion, i dont listen to blink and dont want to.

11. I think mark hoppus is great. If I had a chance to meet Mark Hoppus I would shake his hand, and he is the kinda guy I would want as a friend. Who gives a monkey if his bass playing is boring. Intricate and complicated bass parts are not important. Sure they can add to music, but so what. A bad bass part can not make a song bad on its own. Hoppus is in my opinion funny and quite charismatic, he has worked hard for what he has got and he writes good pop songs which has brought kids away from Britney Spears etc and helped them realise more diverse "better" types and styles of music. So stop bitching about his overall crappy bass playing. Damn you!

sim

12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    how did u vote that? i didn't see that option...

ne way...yea hes not the best bass player in the world...but give the guy a break...hes in a band doing sumthing he loves...

and here's a thought....

what if he played guitar???:eek: :eek: :eek:

bp13

13. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    he is weak, no matter how many records he sells.

If youwant to see a REAL bassist in the pop-punk arena, check out MIKE DIRNT of GREEN DAY. Now he can play for real. :D

14. aqatc

aqatc

Jul 4, 2002
    USA, Milpitas, CA
    Hey, I think that everyone should just kinda leave Mark Hoppus alone, I mean its gotta be tough on him to play fast bass and sing at the same time.
    Plus, Blink 182 isn't about playing really well, its about singing funny songs about stupid things.
    they're kinda like that movie Freddy Got Fingered, it was stupid and hillarious, not meant to look proffesional.

15. man blink 182 is just a stupid no talent punk poser band. just like the other 100 or so of them that there are that little 13 year old gilrs listen to and have posters of on their walls. they are no better than backstreet toys or nstink. yall should be ashamed to discuss them or anything about them on this forum. this is a forum where actual musicians talk about music related things not how much the worst bands suck. will somebody please close this thread its been done. and to all you who didn't know use the F***** SEARCH!

16. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    HAHA.. If you want to see a REAL bassist in the punk arena.. check out Mike Watt *grins*
    well dirnt is pretty cool.. i really like the bassline from longview.. but as far as hoppus is concerned.
    Hoppus is cool i guess, i dont play any blink 182 songs and i dont like them much cause i think they sound like everyone else. You have to remember something yall. Kids have favorites and they tend to push there favorites as the best bassist to them.. like i think mike watt, john entwistle and steve harris are the 3 best (IN MY OPINION).
    I hear kids saying "oh my favorite bassist is Mark Hoppus hes the best".. hey thats cool at least there not idolizing feildy or britiney spears (same thing). Really i mean whos knows.. you really cant say how "tallentless" someone is.. unless you really know them in person and are around them alot.. Mark does what the song calls for.. ya know..he dont claim to be the best at all or anything.. and he tells people to practice so.. thumbs up for mark.. he seems like a pretty cool guy and i would probably be friends with him.. if i met him i would shake his hand.. but I dont think he plays anything that awesome. He just sticks to root note and theres nothing wrong with that...

17. please close this thread please pretty please with all sorts of stuff on top

18. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Would you please just close this thread?

I like Hoppus. Blink182 is my favorite band. I started a thread a little while ago asking the same thing. Not very many people here like him as a bassist. To many, he is at the same level as Fieldy.

This will just turn into the 100th Hoppus bash, so close it before it does again.

Thank You.:D

19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    im actually suprised...usually a hoppus thread doesn't last longer than 4 hours...i think the 4 hour mark for this thread is in 1 minute
    bp13

20. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    Blink 182 is NOTHING like nsync or backstreet boys. Those two bands were slapped together by record companies for the sole purpose of making money. Blink 182 had to tour their asses off (they've toured for 15 months straight before).They've had to put up with the same crap any other band would have to. They actually write their own songs and actually play live. Just because their music is popular doesn't mean that they deserve to be insulted nonstop. But it's apparently "cool" to insult popular bands. The reason you hate them and 99 percent of the people who hate them has nothing to do with their music, it simply has to do with the fact that they are popular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.