Mark Hoppus P???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Okay, I completely dissapeared from the forums about 3 or so months ago, and put my bass down as well. I was in the midst of re-teaching myself alot of technique I lost over a period of not playing, but a recent 'revalation' if you will has turned things around for me.

I was filming a music video for a school project with two friends, and the feel of the drummer's bass drum kick, and the screech of the guitar made me want to come back to filling up the low end real bad. So I'm looking for a bass now...

I'm stuck between a few basses right now, and would love your opinions on them.

Exhibit A, is the Fender Mark Hoppus signature bass. I know the sticker for around $500 (usd) brand new, but I figure I might see one on eGay of perhaps even on a bass 'site for a but lower, maybe around half. I really love the jazz body, but prefer the precisions fat end. The fact that this puppy comes loaded with Duncan Quarter Pounders intrigues me more, as I just saw HIM in concert this past Thursday, and their bassist played a Fender '72 (???) re-issue with this pickup installed, and it sounded phenominal. The only qualm I have is the jazz neck. If I buy this bass, the neck is going, and a Warmoth precision neck is replacing it, asap.

Exhibit B, is a Music Man style bass, perhaps a new SUB or even hopefully a used Sting Ray, or Sterling. I just saw Skindred in concert too, and any doubts I had of this bass were cured. Their bassist was able to cut the guitarists heavy heavy heavy distortion really easily, and sounded very great in doing so. Very low for a 4 stringer by the way he had it set up. Love the look, I mean come on, this is the bass I think of when I think of bass guitars.

Lastly, Exhibit C, which right now, in my mind is the last route. Their's two paths, both more work than I'd like to do, but sure it's be worth it.

Part A... Warmoth jazz body made of mahogany. SDD Quarter Pounder precision pickups, Bad Ass II bridge, maple neck and fb 4 strings and clover-leaf style tuners.

Path B... Essex precision bass, hooked up the same as above, obviously minus the mahogany body.

I'm not looking to spend more than $600, and I'll be saving it up gradually, as right now, my main perogative is car audio (whole system setup from Boston Accoustic) and that's going to be a bit pricey.

I'm open to all reviews, likes/dislikes, pros/cons with any of the two basses, and all criticisms with the third idea. I'm not partial to the Leo Fender designs or anything, I just figure I need a bass to go low, and sound good, without all the fancy electronics and $200 a piece pickups. Just looking to get back into the bass scene with a GOOD bass, that I can play a variety of stuff on... However, I don't think I want to get back into a jazz bass right now, however, I am kicking around the idea of a knock-off Fender jazz bass from a company I think is called "Johnston" or something similar, not 100% sure of the name though.

Thanks for any help, you guys have been so good with helping me out in the past, that's why I came back, to get the best of the best opinions, the ones that really matter!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Johnson. And the reports on it are not good. I'd get the Hoppus out of those you're choosing from, but I'd just get a decent used Precision if it were up to me.
  3. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    I'd get the SUB
  4. the hoppus is the ultimate "one trick pony" and i LOATHE using that term. there is no tone knob, you can only get ONE TONE out of that bass, and personally, i didn't like it. thats one man's opinion could just get a used jazz bass, and have a luthier install a new seymour duncan with a new pickguard to cover up the hole. that'd probably be your best and cheapest bet.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Cant really land a used stingray or sterling for that price so i would suggest an SUB.
  6. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Hmm you say you like jazz body, P neck, P, pickup right? The hoppus fits that bill exactly (check the specs, its a p width neck) Now I'm not saying its a good bass or a bad bass (I've never played one) but it sounds like its what you want. You could always have it moddified with a tone knob where the output jack is, and then move the output to the side of the body. Theres also the new Frank Bellow sig, that has a lot more upgrades than the Hoppus but it only comes in that boring black color scheme. As much as I love EBMM basses if you really want the p-bass tone, the SUB isnt going to do it for you.
  7. cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    You can't really go wrong with a Precision (fwiw, the guy from HIM seems to use BEAD tuning on his, so it's certainly gonna sound fatter than your average four-string P). But if I were you I'd try to pick up a Tokai P copy, new or used. Even new they cost less than an equivalent Fender, and IMO the build quality is better. You'll have change left for the SD and the BAII as well, if you want them on there.
  8. I did not even notice this... I was too busy watching him get 'funky' with the lines. Also kept jerking my attention back to their guitarist, he just blew my mind clear out.

I think I'm going to nix the EMBB idea for now. Isn't Essex supposed to have 'copies' of those sometime soon??? I havn't checked Rondo in ages, methinks I will right after this. So, how many of you would recomend the Hoppus bass, and how many would suggest modifying a Jazz bass with new pg, p'ups, and neck? I think that'd be a bit too much work for myself, I think I'd have to flash the Hambone signal when the time is appropriate, of course. I think paying him to do this for me would be a better idea than me hacking up a nice or decent jazz body.

Does anyone condone Warmoth or USCG for this?

Still searching for the right answer,