Mark Hoppus sig---is it good for all-around use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lastminute, Dec 28, 2007.

1. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    I've hesitated to ask this question before because I see a lot of venom being spewed at the guy.

I, for one, hold him as the guy who got me into playing bass, and it would be nice to play his signature. However, is it of enough good quality to be used for gigs?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    The answer to your question is yes.

I bought one cheap on E-bay. It's in bad cosmetic condition but it works just fine. (I think the punkers like to throw their stuff in the air.) It plays fine, and I like the 1/4lb PUP a lot.

People complain about the lack of tone control, but you really just need to define what sound you are going for and compensate with the appropriate set of strings and playing technique. I found a tone that is most pleasing by using GHS Brite Flats and playing very close to the neck with my right hand. It has big hairy testicles!

The tuning machines leave a bit to be desired. I usually have to touch up the tuning after the second set, but nothing too serious.

I bought it cheap with the intention of using it in some of the harsher environments my band plays sometimes. As it turns out, I really like it a lot. My drummer has requested it instead of my Ric for certain songs.

I've been toying with the idea of getting a nice one and putting a Darkstar in it. I really like the jazz body with the single PUP.

3. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Sure, it would be a fine bass for gigging.

It has no tone control, so it would be "all out" all the time.

4. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    "All out?"

5. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Tone knob permanently set to 11.

I found that with round wound strings it was way to clanky and bright sounding. That's not the tone I go for, but some folks do. The half rounds tamed the clank quite nicely and More than one person has commented on the tone I get from it.

6. rockwarnick

rockwarnick

Jul 29, 2006
    Rockville, MD
    i saw a thread earlier about someone trying decide between a few basses and this was one of them. i began to wonder why it was custom so i looked up the specs. i wasnt impressed by anything. it just sounds like a typical fender. alder body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard, one pick up. the only thing that makes it different is that it has a jazz body with a precision neck. o and the shape of the pickguard.
    do you want it for the sound/quality or because of your appreciation for mark hoppus? im not bashing you im just curious.

7. "All-round" isn't something I'd use to describe the Mark Hoppus sig. It's a P-Bass with no tone control. Sure it's going to have that nice clanky sound that some people love, but if you're talking "all-round" as in musical styles, a P/J bass probably has more diversity.

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its pretty easy and very cheap to add a tone control to that bass, so don't let the lack of a tone knob deter you from the Hoppus.

9. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Why bother, he could just get another equally cheap Fender with either a tone control already there or a P, J set-up w/tone control. There are tons of Fender models out there if cosmetics are the main criteria. There has to be one that looks pretty much like a MH sig.

BTW: Mark Hoppus:spit: (since you were expecting it:))

10. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Well, what kind of rock would the absence of a tone knob prevent me from playing?

11. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    Really, very little if anything. It'd be a lot tougher to get a really old-school round tone (think Paul McCartney), but you could probably still pull that off with flats and some EQ'ing.

12. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Its not that it would prevent you from playing anything. If you want to fiddle around with the eq on your amp for minor adjustments or have to switch to flats in order to get a more mellow sound be my guest. I just don't see the point. IMO its just a marketing gimmick. There's a good reason why you'd only see this "feature" on a sig built for a guy who's supposedly a punk bassist.

People can ague all day long trying to explain to me why you don't need a tone control. I don't care. Being able to control the tone of your instrument at the instrument is a useful feature for what ever style of music you play. Period.

13. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Sure the bass is good enough for gigs... heck he uses one. :smug:

IMO... getting the bass just because you respect him may be something you will come to regret later.

Just ask yourself:
    * do I like P-basses with Jazz bodies... the most important "Q"
    (personally I'm the opposite... P-bass w/Jazz neck)
    * do I need/want a tone control on the bass
    * do I like the sound of SD 1/4 pounder bass PU's

Personally I'm a fan of Mark... dig Blink (although IMO he's not someone I would say is a great a bassist... but a solid one).
    BUT I'd never buy one of his basses... they don't give me what I want in a bass. If they do for you... go for it. :bassist:

14. EddieG

EddieG

Jan 19, 2005
    Scotland
    I've played one, and found the pickup to be really hot. The bass has a good slapping sound, but it's not really versatile enough in my opinion. Rewire it with a tone control, and it might be a bit better.

15. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    Tieing this thread to another one I made, anyone here think of putting a stack knob on this and solve the problem?

16. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

What is the problem you perceive??

17. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    "Tone Control" should be left to your graphic EQ. It bees a lot more accurate. :D

18. lastminute

lastminute

Dec 25, 2007
    It's not what I see as a problem, it would be what others see as a problem: the lack of tone control.

19. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Where do you generally have the tone control on your current bass?? Do you use it a lot? I don't. I have to tone knobs on my Ric all the way up and that's where they always are. I don't miss it on the Hoppus at all. If you are constantly fiddling with the tone knob on your current bass and you like the Hoppus thing, get yourself a Mexi P and put a SD 1/4lb in it.

20. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Err I dunno, I play with the EQ of my bass a lot... When I played a P-bass with tone control I also used it. Like, I want to be able to tweak my sound here and there in the middle of a gig and stuff...

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021