1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Hoppus signature bass WITH MusicMan Pickup?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bogwart, Jun 30, 2014.

1. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    Here’s my question: first of all, I hope this is in the right forum. If not, please feel free to move it.

I’ve been consumed with the idea of a Fender P/Musicman Stingray mash-up bass for a while now. I’ve read the forums here (http://www.talkbass.com/threads/musicman-pickups-in-a-jazz-bass.594934/) and on other threads about the do’s and don’ts of mixing the two different pickups. I also do know that Sandberg (http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/collections/sandberg/products/sandberg-vm4-bass-cocobolo-top) and a few others out there make something similar that can be bought off the rack, but I like the idea of “building” one myself.

Most of the threads on the subject start with a P-body and either add the musicman PU close to the bridge which apparently doesn’t do well for sound. Or, they’ll reverse the P pickups and try moving the MM pickup closer to the middle which seems like a routing nightmare. What I haven’t seen (and feel free to correct me if I’m wrong) is taking a Mark Hoppus signature P/J bass with the reverse P pickups that are already close to the neck and then routing in a MM pickup in it’s more natural location. Has anyone done this? Is it possible? I mean, obviously it’s “possible”, but is it a crazy idea?

My concerns are multi-faceted: first, there are very few Hoppus basses out there for a cheap enough price to hack away at. Ideally I'd like to find a relatively clean body for $250-$300 but that's proving to be rather difficult. I wrote Warmoth if they could cut and route a Jazz body with P pickups in the same location as the Hoppus bass and they said no. So, it’s either find a good used body or find someone who will custom make one (willing to accept bids from experienced luthiers ;-)).

Second, working out the electronics. I wrote Aguilar about their pickups and preamps and they said the OBP-3TK/PP preamp with their pickups and toggle switch would work. The idea is to have a volume, treble, mid, and bass knobs with a toggle switch to go between P, MM, and then P/MM blend on the pickups. This would require custom cutting on the stock Hoppus pick guard or possibly using a jazz deluxe chrome plate and cutting in for the toggle switch.

What says the crowd? Is this a crazy idea? What are your thoughts?

2. I'm not sure why Warmoth said they couldn't do what you were asking...I've often considered building a bass with a MM pup on a jazz body, and it's a viable option in the custom build list.

If you want just a jazz with a MM pup, try using the builder again, but don't put the pickup where you would put a split P set, leave that empty, and under the bridge pickup options, select "Musicman - Sweet Spot".

3. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    If you look though at the Hoppus bass, the split P in reverse configuration is fairly close to the neck. Here's what I said and received from Warmoth (the pickguard question was about pilot holes for the Hoppus guard). Maybe I'm interpreting it differently:

Me: "Is it possible to have a jazz body routed with a reverse P pickup configuration like a signature Mark Hoppus bass? I’d like the P pickup configuration closer to the neck and have a musicman pickup routed in the standard “sweet spot” or wherever a musicman pickup should be located."

Warmoth: "We can do the reverse P Bass pickup in the body of a J Bass body for an additional $45 and in the pickguard for an additional $15. However, we cannot move the positioning closer to the neck. We can do the Music Man bridge pickup as it is an available option. You will just have to request the sweet spot in the additional order notes as well as your request for the reverse P Bass pickup rout."

The idea is to have the P split set closer to the neck to avoid having both PU so close together but still trying to get the best out of both pickups.

4. Oh, ok, but have you considered that you may be doing the instrument a disservice by moving the P pup closer to the neck?

What if they sound awesome right where Warmoth wants to drill them?

5. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    I see what you're saying and I get where you're coming from. It'd be awesome if someone has converted a Hoppus bass and could chime in because I've read mixed reviews on using a standard P configuration with MM pup. But you're right, I bet Warmoth does know something I don't. I know I like the sound of the original Hoppus bass and I *think* that adding a MM pup below with a switch would enhance the sound and/or add something unique.

6. Not saying what you want to do isn't worth trying, but the positioning of pups on a precision or jazz bass are the result of 60 years of player experience. If your experiment fails, that's at least three bills down the drain.

I'd say order the body from Warmoth with the reverse Hoppus-style split P (or non-reverse, your call), have them put the MM in the sweet spot, and wire it like an active jazz. Let us know how it turns out. :)

Best of luck mate!

EDIT: Looking at the newer Hoppus basses with the reversed pup, I'm not sure if it's any closer to the neck than the split-P on a P-J bass. Might just be an optical illusion from the mirroring.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  7. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    I think there's more of a difference in location than it appears. This P bass has the P pup way farther down than the Hoppus model even though it's not the reverse configuration.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Hmm, I suppose it is a bit closer. Suppose you could rout it with a dremel, or get a Hoppus bass and rout the body for the MM pup, but either way it sounds like a lot of risk to me.

Best of luck mate!

9. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    There was a thread on here a while ago and they were doing a similar deal with a P. I think somewhere in the Luthier's corner. Couldn't find it. There was a nice side by side comparison of a J, P, & MM showing how the pickup placement lined up.

I think you could do it with the Hoppus. Just need to do some routing. It doesn't appear that Warmoth can do the MM in the sweet spot with a P in the neck. With both the MM is closer to the bridge.

10. I have a loaded hoppus body I would sell for $220 shipped, doesnt have the original pickup its some replacement and its not super clean. Its also the first gen so the pickup isnt reversed, message me if interested.

11. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I thought about that before, and I think it would work. Hoppus seems to have the EA part of the pickup in the same position as your average P (or even slightly towards the neck), and DG towards the neck, not bridge as traditionally. This opens up room for the MM pickup in the sweet spot.

I think in the worst case, you'd have a usable P and the traditional MM sound. Maybe they'd even sound good together... you have many wiring options for refinements (e.g. I think the P in parallel would work better with MM, both set to full volume)... personally, I would make the bass passive, and have switches on each pickup to maxmize tonal options (series, parallel, single coil). I'd also like the option of using dual outputs (one for each pickup), and perhaps run an external preamp on either or both sides, to give you more of the active tones (i'd probably just do it on the MM side though, if at all)...

Two things have kept me from doing this - it may look ugly as hell, and I'm not sure if the benefit would outweigh the cost. Perhaps I'd try this on another bass - a cheap MM copy. Usually, the pickguard is in a position that allows for hiding a bad reverse-P routing job (I assume the rout would be ugly if you wanted to keep the cost down). Then, get a couple of decent pickups (or even good ones), and someone to put it together. IF that frankenbass shows any promise, then perhaps it's worth investigating a more expensive custom bass.

My 2 cents...

BeeTL likes this.
  12. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    Hmmm...I'd like to see that posting. That's a big piece of this puzzle.

13. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    The split P on the Hoppus is for sure closer to the neck. The wiring options are all over the board, but it seems like you could wire both pups to sound like A) a Hoppus J/P bass and B) a Stingray or at least that's the goal. I've seen pics of a MM with a P split pup and it looks awkward but for some reason the Jazz body with the P/MM pup setup doesn't seem weird visually to me. BUT, finding a "cheap" bass and mutilating the hell out if it for practice then trying it on a Hoppus bass (assuming it works in real life, not just theory) is a good idea.

IMGP0536.

superheavyfunk and SPYD3R #9 like this.
  14. MarcMurder

MarcMurder #IIAmerica

Mar 9, 2010
    Twin cities, MN
    I have a similar problem but i also wanted to add a 5 string neck to it. i was thinking of buying a neck of the bay as well as some 5 string hardware and having the pocket and route widened too accommodate it. also having a hell of a time finding a pink hoppus bass.

15. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    thanks for the photo... I think it would look better with a reverse P, but another option would be to put both pickups in a MM pickup cover (without pole pieces exposed), and have a dual MM look... for that matter, aren't there P-bass pickups in soapbar covers?

or, maybe a dual MM bass could be modified, without routing, to accommodate the P... but I think the P would be too far towards the neck?

16. I dunno, looking at a Music Man HH, the edge of the front pickup doesn't look "that" much closer to the neck than the front edge of the Hoppus P-pup... Might be an easier mod to add a P to a MM than the other way around.

17. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    Hmmm...there's a SUB on craigslist that's close to home for $200. I'm trying to arrange a meeting with the guy to check it out. Sikamikanico and DerekW: y'all might be on to something here. If this one is in decent order, it might be worth the experiment. http://galveston.craigslist.org/msg/4546611909.html

18. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    I think this is the game plan (or at least so far): try to find one of the SUB by Sterling (Indonesian) basses on the used market for no more than $200, remove the stock pup and pots, replace with a Nordstrand 4.2MM pup and NP4 with the 2b-mm preamp, and of course route for the p-pup close to the neck. I think it's a decent plan so far. Now to find parts and...oh yeah, convince the wife that I need another project. ;-) H82042000001000-00-750x750.

19. brad houser

brad houser

Jan 4, 2008
    great idea!!!!!! a Hoppus is an ideal candidate, the MM pickup could go in the Stingray position and not be butted up against the Hoppus pickup. do it, play it, keep it forever don't ever sell it. I like master vol, pan, and tone for controls.

20. What's the distance from the neck on the E side of both pick-ups? They look almost the same to me.