mark hoppus signature

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ilovefruitpie, May 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    what do you guys think aboutt he mark hopus signature fender bass?? i like the way it sounds but i was just wondering what you guys have to say about it. does it just have a plain p-bass neck or is it different?
  2. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah it's a P neck on a J body.
  3. E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, and it comes equipt with SD quartpounder pickups, and only one knob...volume.
  4. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The Hoppus bass has been discussed here many times.. Try a search.
  5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  6. well id have to say i hope i never lay my eyes on one in person...its about the equivalent of one of those 1/2 size greg bennets, utterly useless unless you play with a pick and have it hang lower than rob trujillo does..or in a blink 182 wanna be cover band...thats just my 2c
  7. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
  8. WOO HOO! someone agrees with me for once lol
  9. haha, it's kinda funny that because a bad players name is attached to the bass people assume the bass is bad. It's a P-bass neck on a jazz body with no tone control and a P pickup. The construction, fit and finish are exactly what you'll find on any fender of equal value. It has a Duncan quarter pounder in it, which is a common upgrade for P-bass users if you did a lil research. Having no tone control is something some seriously high end makers do as do lower end instruments, it's a tonal decision, the number of knobs doesn't make the bass. If this was labeled just another P-bass special, would people slam it so much? How many of you played one that was set up through a decent rig and came to the oppinion that it was just a badly designed instrument?

And Heath, if you think that this bass is utterly useless unless played low and with a pick, do you feel that way about all P-basses? Cause if not, news flash: This bass is a P-bass with a jazz body, a better aftermarket pickup, and a corny endorsement; nothing more, nothing less.

*edit- I don't own this bass, never have never will, but I certainly won't slam it without just cause.
  10. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    You are right, but it all comes down to looks. You could get a P bass and put a quarter pounder in there and have a much better bass for much less money. Plus.. the hoppus is 600$ish new
  11. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
  12. ilovefruitpie

Apr 23, 2004
    finally someone doesnt hate it for no reason
  13. josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I played it once, it felt awkward on me, I actually find that I dont like the way Jazz basses feel to me, I'm really skinny so they just feel all around meaty and this one was really no exception. The only differant was the balance of it made it want to level out and I play with the neck at about a 45 degree angle. The sound wasn't bad, very fender actually. It didn't feel dead or hard to play, the craftsmanship was there. I think if you play with your bass horizontal and you like the fender tone than this would be a good bass. If you play at an angle than not so much.
  14. I guess my point is that had you said that in the first place this guy would have had an answer to his question instead of just seemingly blind contempt for the instrument. I just wanted whoever started this to know that there are oppinions of that instrument that differ from the norm of "If it says his name on it, it must suck." No big deal. Hope this guy can make a final decision based on his own experience instead of just passing up on the bass.
  15. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i like the hoppus bass.

I guess that means i suck.

*Staggers off*
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't see how Mark Hoppus' talent should be an issue while considering his signature bass. I am not a Blink 182 fan by any stretch of the imagination, but it is wrong to judge an signature instrument by the person who endorses it.

I know several bassists who choose to play simply 99% of the time, but the other one percent they can play circles around most people. Also, keep in mind the fact he sings and plays very frequently, which can cause him to play simpler.

I have played the Hoppus bass, and I thought it had a nice solid tone, but I like a bass to have controls. Not a bad choice for a lower level bass
  17. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    My thoughts exactly. I came across a good deal on a used one about a month ago, and I seriously considered it.

18. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I would buy one if it came with a jazz neck.

The pink one :D :bassist:
  19. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    My friends and I had to choose between the MH bass and the Daisy Rock heartbreaker for our project bass. We got the daisy, I stand by our decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.