Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark Hoppus

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Nick Gann, May 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I am a fan of Blink182. I like their music and their comedy while onstage. Mark Hoppus might not play the most complicated riffs, but he is famous for it. You gotta respect that.

I want to know why so many people hate him, think he is a horrible bass player, etc.

I don't want this to become a flaming contest or a bashing contest. I want people's honest opinions and reasons. If it gets too bad, I will delete the thread (if the mods don't first).

Thanks
    Nick

2. the great one

the great one

Jan 25, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    If I could be serious I think the reason people hate him is because of his inability to create interesting basslines. The same thing over and over and over gets old after a while. That's just what I think.

3. Cossiemon

Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    I am a huge fan of blink182, they're hilarious. I know his basslines aren't fantastic or anything, but they fit the songs. Maybe its the fact he sings too, and can't get out a complicated line and sing (which is back to the whole talent thing).

I think with blink182, there's nothing complicated about their songs, they're just plain and simple ones. But at the same time i think they're really good, very entertaining as a whole.

I don't see why you have to hate bass players because they don't have complex lines

4. cap

cap

Aug 8, 2001
    Hickam Hawaii
    Check out the bass line for carsouel...i think thats how you spell it...great bass line...until he starts singing...but its not that he cant because in that song he did:rolleyes:
    i love blink 182 and their comedy on stage too even though the bass lines arent that great

5. I love Blink, but I think there's a few reasons why so many people hate Mark(and even Tom and Travis too).

Theory #1) He's not the most talented bass player in the world. He has written some pretty good songs though(Degenerate, Carousel, Man Overboard). I do however think that his playing fits their music very well.

Theory #2) Their famous. Sometimes people just get mad and hold a grudge against musicians who have succeeded.

Theory #3) It seems like their music has gotten progressively more poppy, so some people think they've sold out. I tend to disagree with this one cuz they've always been kinda poppy(at least I think so).

That's all I've got to offer. What's your fav. Blink 182 song? Mine's gotta be either Dammit, M&M's, or Family Reunion.

6. i used to absolutly loove blink..but im kinda over them now, but they're still pretty cool.....
    my fave blink song would have to be either does my breath smell, toast and bananas, carousel, romeo and rebecca or im sorry..
    and theres a heap of others i love too!

7. joke

joke

Sep 17, 2001
    I prefer the older Blink stuff, im not saying that the new stuff isnt good, i just like the old stuff better.

8. i like blink 182, i don't LOVE them (unlike my guitarist, who's life evolves around them :rolleyes: )

i think the main reason a lot of people resent mark is because he is not a very talented bass player, but is one of the most famous (i did a test to prove this theory, i asked 40 people in my school to name a bass player 32 said mark, 5 didn't know what a bass was, and the other 3 said fieldy)

the other reason is selling out, i knew a lot of people who loved them, and now hate them because thier famous.
    personally i say good for them! if i could make shed loads of money playing music i know i would

all IMHO of course :D

l8rz

Tom

9. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    The reasons I do not like Mark (or Blink for that matter...):

1. The guys in the band are almost THIRTY...let high school go guys. Grow up, Its highly annoying.

2. Mark is not a good bass player, yet he has a signature bass. Among the likes of - Geddy Lee, Jaco, and Marcus Miler there is a Mark Hoppus sig. See where Im going?

3. Blink has gotten progressivly more pop! They sold out. They changed their style to stay cool and make money. Boo. I dont like how they sound.

In my opinion, Travis is the only member of the band with real talent.

10. mmmm
    my theory is after the got famous from chesire cat (sp?) the fame sorta went to their heads and became more obsessed with selling records than making chalanging (sp? sorry bad day) for the public to play
    after all the more they make the more they will sell

11. i like them..

there 2 much mixing with their new stuff and not enough real playing, i like their old stuff better..

i dont like mark, but i dont hate him.. he's only in for the money, and he can be rude in interview, but him and tom work well together..

he also made hot pink basses popular..

12. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yeah,playing difficult lines and singing at the same time is hard,but then again geddy and les can do it,oh and matt freeman sings sometimes.i dont like blink 182,and old skool is right when he said travis the only talented one.man overboard is a cool bassline.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Don't really like the music but thats beside the point. I think it's the fact that he can't play complicated lines that gets up peoples noses people don't mind easy bass lines look at sting his arn't the most difficult to play but we respect him because we know if he wanted he could really rock out and amaze us all. Just to change a quote I hear often "It's not what you play it's what you could play."

14. Okay, you've opened up a big bag of worms but, whatever.

1) I don't have to respect anyone for making it big. Everyone makes it big, Chumbawumba get tooled on because they were one hit wonders. They made it big. Backstreet Boys "made" it big, doesn't mean I respect the boys in the "band". Its not hard to create bubblegum pop that kids will eat up, and in this era of production music, a lot of the talented and interesting musicians often go unnoticed. I respect Fugazi because they have created a niche for themselves in time and place where its very hard to do so, and they were uncompromising to the end. Green day too I respect for taking on the music industry on their own terms. I admit, Blink 182 did tour pretty hard for the 10 years leading up to Enema. But that leads me into...

2) this is more of a general statement. Blink, in many people's eyes, turned their back on the punk scene which fostered and nurtured them. I know a lot of people who were very angry that Bad Religion were opening for them. In the minds of many, BR open for no one, except maybe the ramones. Just the way things are.

3)People make a big hoopla about how great it is that he sings and plays bass. Fat Mike was doing that long before Blink added the 182. In addition, Mike Watt, and Rob Wright blow both Mike and Mark out of the water, they can sing and turn the bass into their universe. There are tons of other bassists, punk and non punk that are amazing singers, players and song writers. If you want to play comparison, Hoppus doesn't stand much of a chance.

4)The pee pee poo poo humor got old a while ago, now they're trying to be more introspective, but to me, its not anything I haven't seen or heard before. They're trying to hard to be the Descendents IMO.

But, that's just what I think, and far be it from me to tell people what to listen to.

Enjoy.

15. But why "play comparison"? It's not a competition. Hoppus plays what's right for his band's songs, which does not include slapping, tapping, or fast runs up the neck. So what? I've seen Blink 182 live, and they were tight as hell and kicked ass. And when a band is tight, that means the bass player is doing his job. So it's not flashy.. but again, who cares? Hoppus might well be able to solo his ass off for all we know, but in the situation he's in, that's beside the point. It's called sublimating your ego and anchoring the band.
    You mention Mike Watt, who is my absolute favorite bass player of all time. He plays a totally different role than Mark Hoppus. Watt leads the band from the bass chair. Can you imagine Hoppus trying to inject Watt-style stuff into Blink's songs? It wouldn't work. Hoppus does what is right for his band's songs, and that's really all that matters.

16. I used to play these "this bass player is better than that bass player" games in school....

It's all totally irrevelant. The deal is the music. Don't mean a thing if it's Swung 64th notes or tied whole note drone tones. What works for the song? Is it music? Are they having fun? Does their message get across to the listener? Ya gotta remember that most folks do not interpret bass lines as well as us bassists. They can't comprehend a chop-busting mind-blowing solo that you've been practicing for the last 3 months. Duck Dunn is a fine bassist; yet no solos. Look at the folks who back up those pop/country/Billy Joel-type bands. They are doing their job and that is to make music.

Do I like Blink 182? I've played quite a few of their songs in the bars. He does his job in the band. They are O.K. Am I gonna buy his signature bass? No.

Support the song, hold EVERYBODY together (think of yourself as glue), keep the drummer in line (tempos), keep the guitarist in check (flavorful fills, etc), and feel good about what you do. It's all about the song...

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like Blink 182. I enjoy their music. I have never heard their older stuff, but would certainly like to. I cover "all the small things" when I play out.

There is no need to rank musicians anyway. He is not trying to be Mike Watt, and he's good enough for his band. :)

18. JaggedB

JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Amen.

I heard a quote from Flea along the lines of "it doesn't matter if your playing a complex solo or three notes, if you're playing to the best of your ability and feeling it, that's what matters" (at least that's the gist of it)

Oh, and it is about the hook too!

19. very true. for all we know, mark is a phenomenal bassist who pulls it back to fit the music. rivers cuomo of weezer, for instance, is one of the most talented guitarists in rock right now - but he pulls WAAAYYYYYY back and just hits those power chords like it's his job. which, of course, it is. and it sounds great.

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.