SOLD Mark Kendrick Masterbuilt Fender custom shop '55 Precision Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by drums1977, May 27, 2018.

1. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Price:
    Strings:
    **Reasonable cash offers welcome**

Mark Kendrick Masterbuilt Fender custom shop '55 Precision Bass in excellent condition, hardly ever played. The flagship of the Fender Custom Shop. Made from top to toe by celebrity masterbuilder Mark Kendrick
    Obviously, this has the best of the best and it is totally customized: hand selected light weight 2 piece alder body, 1 ply parchment PG, factory installed Seymour Duncan PU, very lightly reliced -very fast- neck, closet classic body relic. The bass is very light (8,5 pounds), ridiculously resonant and perfectly balanced. Now it is setup with low action, with no buzzing or dead notes of course. Comes with the OHSC in like-new condition, CS Certificate of Autheticity signed by Mr Kendrick, original covers and brand new original Custom Shop strap. Quite simply a perfect reproduction on the 55 PBass made by one of the most legendary masters of the Fender Custom Shop. A built like this retails at around $7k. Priced to sell here.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    Ahort, Mastermold, Coughdrops and 9 others like this.
  2. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    wow beautiful P bass. Just a heads up, it's Kendrick not Hendrick. GLWS

drums1977 and SkulliesBass like this.
  3. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    thanks and apologies!

4. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    Curious about the neck profile on these. Does this have the soft V shape or U? Also is the nut width 1.75? And lastly, do you know if the pickup a stacked pickup like in the Dusty Hill Tribute? Thanks!

5. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Yes, '55 soft V profile. Nut width is 1 11/16" (1,7"), so very slightly narrower than a standard 60s Pbass. Pick up is a factory installed Seymour Duncan. It appears like that in the floor traveller sheet.

6. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    Thank you drums1977 for the neck profile information.

Seymour Duncan makes six different pickups for 51-56 style Precision basses, five which are single coil: Antiquity, Antiquity II, Quarter Pound, Hot, and Vintage, and one is by the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop: the 51 P-Bass Stack which is a stacked single (humbucker). The pickup in the Dusty Hill tribute bass either "is" or "is like" the 51 P-Bass Stack, which is a more expensive noiseless pickup, possessing a more aggressive and hotter sound at DCR 28.9K with the tone control rolled up, and in my opinion is a better sounding, noiseless pickup at over double the price of three of SD's five single coil pickups for the 51-56 style P basses. Seymour Duncan's hottest single coil has an output of DCR 14.3K which is less than half the output of the 51 P-Stack.

Would it be possible to check to see which Seymour Duncan pickup is in your bass? It would be easy to tell if you have the 51 P-Stack as it would be double the height of the other pickups. Below are links to the Seymour Duncan single coils and the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop 51 P-Bass Stack if it will help at all in identifying your pickup if you are able to check. Though the first link says Steve Bailey Active Preamp, if you continue to scroll to the bottom of the page, you can find the Single Coil style pickups.

Steve Bailey Active Preamp

51 P-Bass Stack

EDIT: Or... if you could supply a shot of the pickup without the pickup cover on, I may be able to identify which pickup is in your bass.

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  7. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    There you go!

8. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Sorry

Attached Files:

sneha1965 likes this.
  9. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    Thank you drums1977 for providing the photographs.

Judging from the lack of Seymour Duncan name, flush pole pieces, and the distance between the screws and the top of the pickup makes this the single coil Antiquity pickup, which was designed to replicate the vintage early 50s single coil precision bass tone. Makes total sense.

drums1977 likes this.
  10. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    Are there any trades that might interest you or are you raising cash?

11. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I prefer a straight sale, but as usual I may be tempted by nice basses. I tend to like CS fenders with matching headstocks, BC rich eagle basses and wal. ;)

12. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    OK, I don't have any of those, but thanks!

13. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    You wouldn’t happen to be a Fodera admirer?

14. TomB

TomB Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2007
    Vermont
    No, but what’s not to admire about Foderas?!

15. SJLee

SJLee Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    TomB, that was for the OP my brother.

TomB likes this.
  16. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Never played one, feel free to PM me.

17. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    I could be tempted for a nice sadowsky, fodera or an old BC rich.

18. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Pm replied​

19. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    Amazing bass from an even better TBer! Someone needs this bass :bassist:

drums1977 likes this.
  20. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    If you take the pickguard off, is there a cavity or is it solid?

21. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    Never taken it off, but I would imagine it is solid. I will take it off for you and take a photo.

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  22. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021