Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark King????crazy

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by phatphillss, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Who is mark king all ive heard is some rediculos??? bass solo out of him does he have a band and does anyone know who im talking about. he is a very slap happy player very impressive id like to hear more.

cant find anything on the web the solo i got says live at the jazz cafe i got it off lime wire

2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    he plays in level 42 and personally i think he's just a wanker...

3. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    He is located somewhere between Level fourty-one and Level fourty-three if I recall correctly?

Others will be along soon to clarify.

DCat

4. :eek:

I would love to see if you could play some of his finger style lines and sing at the same time :rolleyes:

5. You could take yourself over to Level 42 plenty of info there :)

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    What do you mean? Your profile lists influences who are far busier players than Mark King.

Moved to Bassists.

7. One of the best bassist the UK has produced.........

The later pop oriented stuff is OK, but the best Level 42 album for me is "Level 42" - superb bass sound and great Jazz Funk songs.

His best solo album IMHO is "Influences" - great Mahavishnu Orchestra influenced first track - almost 20 minutes long !

I think when it comes to all that twiddly fast slappin thing - MK has the best tone of the lot - Wooten, Hellborg etc - and I love what those guys do as well

I'd definitely recommend "Influences" though - have a look on e-bay........

Bill

8. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove

And Duff McKegen is what exactly???
    Own any Level 42?
    Didn't think so.........

9. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Here we go with this "wanker" crap again :rolleyes: . Please "dignify" us with your definition of wanker. Your opinion however, is your own and I'm not for censorship of any kind. Yet I am a musician, music is an unconquered artform and outranges all, that means that what Mark King does is music, no matter WHAT your opinion of his playing style is. To each his own, I'm sure somewhere somone has a lofty opinion about your playing out there also, AND mine, so I wont rag ANYONE else's ability. If you dont like it, cool but dont call his a "wanker" as this is I'm sure a negetive term to musicianship. :meh:
    just my 2 cents

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've been playing in cover bands since the beginning of time, and it's very cool when a band with a great bassist becomes popular, so you can cover those songs and people think they are just hits. Thats the way it was when Level 42 hit in the 80's.....it's the same thing that made drummers so happy to cover Dave Matthews songs when they hit in the 90's!...if you get my drift :cool:

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    He might, if we allow him to.

Slamming someone for having a possibly inconsistent opinion might be fun for a minute and make some folks feel great, but I think everyone would find it much more entertaining if we gave members a chance to explain themselves. Either they'd realize their error or the explanation might somehow make sense!

Besides, this is the kind of talk that derails threads.

Any favorite Mark King basslines?

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    How 'bout these:
    Love Games & Hot Water. Classic L42.
    Mr. Pink. Some say THE Mark King/Level 42 tune.
    Something About You. The hit!
    Lessons In Love (hit #2). Wanker eh?!?! Just TRY and make it thru this one. And SING it as well. Wanker my ass.......
    Forever Now & All Over You. Newer L42, but still cool lines.
    Seven Years. A "fake" fretless line (synth p/up on a fretted bass) that has a pretty cool sub-hook in the line.
    And Throwing Sevens from his Trash disc (and Live at the Jazz Cafe' disc as well)
    I NEED to get the latest live L42 sometime soon.
    If you can't tell, I used to be & still am a big Level 42/Mark King fan!

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wanker? I recall him being the "house bassist" for at least one of the Prince's Trust concerts back in the late 80's. He can go off, for sure, but he can lay back and be solid as a rock when called for.

What I don't like is people pidgeon-holing people when they don't even know what they're talking about . . . :scowl:

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    A lot of Level 42 Basslines are actually pretty simple. Though when he solos, he solos too much. I'd say I like 1 out of every 17 Level 42 songs.

15. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    (Puts hand up in class) If Mark Kings a wanker can I please be one too ?

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Mark King's playing kicks arse... and if to kick arse to that degree ,I have to be a wanker... Show me the sign up and release form, please.

:D

17. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    World Machine and Lessons In Love say it all for me. Mark King was my guy back in the 80s and I had all their albums.

18. i dont care if you think he cant slap over plays solos or what ever (wanker). he has a very intresting way of the slap and i wanted to no who he was. thats all if you think he sucks or over plays great thats your opinion can every one respect that i can, but dont tell me he sucks cause he dont, some one said it before some think you suk some think les suks, just that was not the ? if mark king licks stamps or not it was who is he.

so stick to the ?
    ok level42 ill go pick up a cd

ive been playing bass for 5 years off and on and music is the most important thing in my life and always will be.wit that said
    ( jaco is a sick bass player but weather report is a weak band i think, dont rip me up im trying to make a point dont know if it will work or not)my point is he cant be a wanker if i heard of jaco before weather and king before level42.

i first started playing the banjo in 10th grade 2 years before i played the bass did bela fleck come before victor of corse.

dont know if i made my point or not but you have to respect every musician out there weither they play guitar violin drums congos what ever

sounds like some of you guys dont know what your talking about, maybe me to but, dont say thats guy suks this guy sucks if you cant do better,every one has there own style of playing and what they think sounds good so when you can appreceate??? every instrument than you can post back

did you ever tell your drummer he suked i did once and then he threw his sticks at my head and said give me the bass take the sticks and show me what you want me to do

dont criticize???

19. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    interesting stuff there, phatphillss. :eyebrow:

welcome to TB, wank-police are everywhere here... I just deal with it.

As for "licking b@lls", we don't converse that way on these boards. So please don't in the future.

20. just saying im not asking anyones opinion of mark king im asking who he is, a wanker is not a good discription.

sorry

carry on the trash talk :bassist:

level42 right
    no solo project cds out there