1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark King Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peledog, Sep 27, 2013.

1. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
  2. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Mark King is awesome.

Never heard of the bass though..

3. Reminds me of an old American Deluxe with a deep lower horn cut, in an interesting colour. I'd lose the tort for some mint or parchment, though.

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    He had a very brief association with Fender in the late 90s, but I think the J-bass he was seen playing during that time ended up being made by a small British company (not Status).

Not saying this isn't a legitimate listing, but the concept of a Mark King Fender endorsement may be more of something someone once wanted to happen than really did.

At no point has Mark King used a bass that sounded anything like a J, ever. IMO.

5. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Here's the Ohne Filter show where he was playing the J clone that sounds nothing like a J-Bass. Pickups look like humbuckers.

This is actually one of the better live concert recordings in the post-Level 42 era, if you ask me. I have it on DVD, and the separation they used in the mix is wild. The bass is almost toally isolated to the center channel in the 5.1 mix.

6. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Here's a picture of him using a similar Fender Jazz Bass.

84887813-photo-of-fender-jazz-bass-and-mark-king-and-gettyimages.

7. ggvicviper

ggvicviper Yamaha & Grosbeak. I’m Marc!

Jul 16, 2011
    East Meadow, NY, USA
    Here's another photo of the sign model:

fender.

8. Altitude

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Yep. Again, I have no doubt the the bass is legit, but there was never really a time when he was going around playing Fender basses and I'm not sure he recorded anything with one either. Although the basses on the "One Man" album could be anything.

Actually, that is a really pretty bass, though.

9. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    I think that was a Bernie Goodfellow ("GB") bass - very classy piece of kit.

10. BassBod

BassBod

Aug 18, 2006
    Bristol, UK
    Think it was a Fender UK thing - only difference being a very flat fingerboard. He also put tape over the pickups on his personal ones, to stop the poles getting wacked.

11. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    Only 42 of these made!

12. peledog

peledog

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I haven't seen this recording. You're right, the mix is incredible.

That looks like the sig model with the Sims LEDs.

I wonder what it sounds like. Judging by the photos from the ebay listing, it looks like a bunch of set up specs on the front sticker. Fender preamp?

13. philtoler

philtoler

Dec 3, 2009
    This was indeed a GB Spitfire bass