Mark King slap solo

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Chris_Brunhaver, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Hello guys, I just wanted to let you guys know that though I had seen Mark King sigature basses online before and his name mentioned on this forum (as far as slap technique) ,I had neved (knowingly) heard him play before. Well, I downloaded some mp3s online and really liked some of his playing. It turns out, I think I have had "something about you" stuck in my head for a while. Some of the stuff is kinda cheesy in that 80's way you have to love. I'm definately going to buy a CD or two of his. Anyway, I started working on trascribing the bass solo from Live @ that Jazz Cafe. I started today and have only gotten through the first 15-20 tonight but thought I'd record my progress. It's not nearly up to tempo, but I really like the solo and thought I'd share. I'm hosting this off my DSL, so it may be a little slow. Here it is . BTW, my bass is a Roscoe 6 string (with semi-dead strings) that I recorded direct into my PC soundcard passive.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    If you want to hear Mark King at his best, look for the older stuff like "Pursuit Of Accidents", "Level 42", and "Standing In The Light". The songwriting and production started to get cheesy with "World Machine" (the album with "Something About You" on it), in the 80's manner.

I've seen some pretty good compilations out, too.
  3. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get the live set "Physical Prescence". He killed on that, too.
  4. IMsher

IMsher Guest

Mar 13, 2002
    Coos Bay OR.
    I am impressed with your progress Chris_Brunhaver. I am fully confident you will get the whole thing. When you have it all learn, I would like to here it.

Good job, Keep it up.
  5. Thanks for the feedback. I hope I keep at it and finish the ~90 second solo (before the tune starts). Complex slap stuff can be a little tricky to transcribe but luckily there is a fair amount of repetition in his solo. He does a lot of left-hand salpping, dead notes, pull-offs and a little double-thubing, so sometimes it's hard to tell how things are played, but hopefully this should give me some good ideas to integrate into my playing.

6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  7. Hey. do u reckon u could post your transcription of it. I had a crack at it but i never really had the best ear. No pressure or any thing but if u could u would be declared an offical legend.

8. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am a huuge Mark King fan! I agree w/ the others about the older stuff being a great way to get familiar with marks work. The live Physical Presence is a great CD. I just ordered a live Level 42 DVD and will give a review of it when it comes. If you are a Mark King fan, check out the old Stanley Clarke stuff, that is where Mark got a lot of influence.