mark king style slap lines

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by The_major_Rajor, Nov 21, 2003.

1. The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    hey... I have been playing bass for nearly 2 years now, and have become quite good (I think). I can play fingerstyle, some tapping and harmonics fairly well. jaco... sheehan geddy lee... etc. I have recently turned my attention to slapping, I am able to slap fairly well, can play along with primus and usually whatever else i try to slap out... (bass line from the big money is agreat one to slap over). I have been trying for a while to emulate mark king style slap lines and solos, but i cant seem to get them down as smooth as him. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. (I play for a few hours everyday so I could probally pick up things pretty quickly.)
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You really need to loosen up your wrist for Mark King stuff, the less force you use the better. Lighter string gauges help too (Mark (used to) use .30-.90).

Still, some stuff is really hard, Mark really has a "fast" wrist.
  3. The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    thats what i have been having trouble with.. the really fast thumps and ghost notes.
  4. Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp has lots of mark king lessons and a couple of songs 2. videos, music, tab etc
  5. one thing that i found helpful when trying to learn a song out is to make a chart of the song from what you hear...sit down and absorb the song that you are trying to learn..find out the notes and write out them by going from intro,verse,chorus,verse,etc.

"the worst thing would be if the wife/girlfriend/partner left with the acordian player"
    -TB bass humor & gig stories forum
  6. Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Mark King's slap technique relies heavily on left hand slapping and on muted slapping and popping. The "machine gun slap" approach is akin to thinking of the bass as a percussion instrument.

When you get that down, then try singing along to the music to get a feel for the man's talent.
  7. marcusmiller

Oct 26, 2003
    When i was in London Guitar Show
    i had the chance to buy 3 books of transcription
    (in tab and notation as well) LEVEL 42 BASS
    He is selling them himself.
    He is writing in the BASS GUITAR magazine.
    he is the staff writer there.u can email him and ask him to send you the books.
  8. Has anyone else bought these books at all? I've always enjoy Level42's music (not a huge fan, but I like alot of tunes) but I would love to learn some of Mark's lines. Like everyone else, I'm so impressed by how smooth and tight his busy lines sit with the music.

Anyway, Mr. marcusmiller, how did you find these books? Are there any suitable transcriptions for a newbie slapper? (Been playing 9 years and have reasonable finger-style technique) but I'm only starting out ont he road to Slaphood.

Any tips/recommendations would be appreciated ...
    All the best,

9. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Indeed and at last Mark King's two hand slapping technique has finally gained credence on the board.I have been away from the forum for a while and remember many a discussion regarding 'two handed slapping' inwhich I was never understood or taken seriously."What does he mean by two handed slapping?" One of many quotes that circulated about my posts which really did radiate ignorance or an unwillingness to discuss or understand Mark King's huge abilities.That said,stay cool.Scotland's slap bassist.Have a listen to 'Temper' on my
  10. The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    wow.... I really sound like a tool back then haha... I've worked on my slapping a bit more over the past few months and can play pretty much all of mark kings stuff now... I've honestly found that the best advice is just practice. There is no other way to learn to play fast other then practicing. From jaco finger funk to mark king machine gun slapping, the best way for me is to start slow, learn the technique then crank it up. For learning his techniques I've found the best way to do it is to watch live performances either solo or with level 42, Also i'll just quickly mention that having light gauge strings makes his popped triplet runs sound much better.
    That stlye of slapping really seems to be going the way of the dinosaur though... but I still use and enjoy it when I slap.
  11. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Major,if you can do all that in two years of playing the bass,then you must be the next best thing to toasted cheese.Now you learn to stay cool man.Scotland's slap