1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark King video.....

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jongor, Mar 23, 2006.

1. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
  2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Whoa! That's sweet! :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:
    What type of bass was he using?

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I believe it's a Status Graphite. Very pricey UK boutique builder. Mark King has an amazing ability to hold the groove while (whilst?) slapping insanely. Also, very impressive fingerstyle playing. I think he may have a career ahead of him...

:D

4. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    While the playing physically was very impressive.........

that is just everything I hate about slap; all chops, all the time, no subtlety, and to top it off the melody is a rip-off of "School Days".

At least Marcus has taste. That **** was lame.

Although Mark King was always great with Level 42.

5. PaulYeah

PaulYeah

Mar 1, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Does he have some kind of subtle reverse-gate effect on the bass? It sounds kind of like the attack ramps up a bit. You can hear it before the rest of the band joins in.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    In this case, I'd have to agree.... for about 30 seconds it's :eek: , and then it gradually settles in that, for a bass, it sounds a hell of a lot like a typewriter.:bag:

7. bill_banwell

bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Damn that was cool! ive always had the audio of that live solo/song, thanks for posting! i love marks slap tone.

8. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    This clip is taken from the Live in Reading 2001 gig, not The Jazz Cafe in London.

MK's not everyone's cup of tea... I still think the guy's got what it takes, but it would have been interesting to see how he would have adapted had Level 42 not reformed in it's present guise. In other words, a project that wasn't on the same lines as his previous band where the thumb technique would have been fairly redundant.

A lot of people tend to forget what a good fingerstyle player he is.

Cheers,
    Essexbass.

9. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    I've noticed him ripping off Stanley Clarke style phrases and double stops as well....

he is technically amazing...but I just can't stand his tone or his playing..

10. The bass is a Status "King" bass. His sig bass.
    The tune is Mr. Pink. A staple Level 42 tune in their live shows from like 83 or so.
    Gotta love Gary Husband on drums though!

11. i didnt like the sound when he does the fingerstyle .
    But He's very impressive specially towards the end.

12. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    A lot of people don't like the tone he has on the Status - his Alembic & Jaydee tone (from early / mid 80's) seems to have more fans.

The tone on the Reading DVD seems to be quite bright - don't know if it's a combination of the way it was mixed or his amp settings or even the wood / carbon fibre construction?

Cheers,
    Essexbass.

13. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    Stanley Clarke said about half a year ago on his own forum: don`t ever call Mark King a copycat just because he has been influenced by me, He is a amazing bassplayer.

I tried to dig up that message, but the old SC forum is closed so i can`t.:(

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    This has already been posted...

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237933

but on the Clarke issue, I think it's cool to see the influence showing through like that. I have a very cool Mark king bass solo I was sent by the guy I bought my Trace Elliot head from, it's a solo from a Hamburg show in '99. he does an awesome little fingerstyle section in the middle, has a very school days type vibe to it!

But I do indeed love Mark King!

15. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Well, look at my Avatar - I'm biased.

I've seen that quote too, and I definitely recognize some SC influence in Mark King's playing, especially in the early Level 42 days (and Mr. Pink is an early tune that became a live favorite).

King became his own player, with his own style, as his career wore on, and I'm not sure anyone can legitimately claim that he "rips off" someone else's style any more than a million Hendrix clones. Listen to the first couple Lenny Kravitz albums, for example.

For whatever reason, I have always especially dug Mark King's playing. Out of all the slap guys, he's my favorite. Something about his groove really works for my ears. Plus, consider that he's usually singing too...

16. Very fast version of Mr. Pink, I am not a big fan of his sound, but his technical skills are unique

17. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Pasco, WA
    +1

If you actually listen to what he is playing during the song it is incredibly easy to see that the guy can groove.

Solid, man. Like a ton of bricks.

Yeah, while slapping.

I just bought 2 Level 42 cd's online because of it.

:D

Joe.

18. FunkyXL

FunkyXL

Feb 17, 2006
    Netherlands
    You should buy all level42 cd`s Joe :smug:
    Especialy the older albums are exelent! (like pursuit of accidents, earlytapes,standing in the light...etc.)

Personaly I like the old stuff more because the music was more funk/jazz. the newer albums is more pop music with a funky bassline (still amazing basslines though). And i also like the the sound of his old Jay Dee more then the HiFi alembic/Status sound.

Mark King Rules!!! :D

19. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Mark King has been a favourite of mine for over twenty years now. Chops, groove, tone... all great to me. Cool vid, thanks for the link.

And BTW, Status basses are just fantastic. I'm going to go and pick mine up for an hour or two right now. :D

20. Thanks for the video. I always enjoy watching and listening to Mark King. He makes it look so easy..