1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark King vs TheWhippinpost - Rare Footage

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by TheWhippinpost, Dec 17, 2006.

1. TheWhippinpost

TheWhippinpost

Dec 3, 2006
    I've just converted this old vid I had shot sometime in the 80's of me showing the Mark King (of Level 42 fame, yeah) how-to behave around a bass.

Just whacked it up on Google video - It's never been seen publically before. Only close friends really know/knew about it.

Anyway, figured it was only right that such an important recording be made available and documented for the purposes of historical "completeness" and public enjoyment, so to speak... all 6-outstanding-minutes of it!

Mark King vs TheWhippinpost

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You were so hip ! :)

3. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Man, if you were that good then, I can imagine how good you are now.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Wow, that was class! I love the "on screen" commentary too, very funny! A pretty good rendition of Mr Pink though, even though your bass strings sounded a little dead!

Plus, the whole thing was very stylish, love the outfit but not digging the tranny pose! I'm a huge Level 42 fan myself, as I sit here right now I have my True Colours/World Machine double album sitting in front of me!

5. lowtide

lowtide Commercial User

Oct 14, 2006
    Bradenton, Florida
    Owner: Buzzard's Bass Shop
    I was hoping for a rendition of Whipping Post by Berry Oakley

6. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Excellent - I am sooo glad I did not have a video camera in the 80's :eyebrow:

7. Big nebula

Big nebula

Feb 15, 2006
    Scotland
    Enjoyed the video!:hyper: Any more?

8. s.m.80808

s.m.80808

May 5, 2006
    Nice :)

9. TheWhippinpost

TheWhippinpost

Dec 3, 2006
    Heh, it's a gift Jazz :D

Ya know, since the age of around 13, I played the bass every day, at every opportunity...
    even if it was just for a couple of minutes whilst waiting for the kettle to boil. But about 6(ish) yrs ago, I just stopped.

Why? The computer: If you live in a typical neighbourhood, there's probably no shortage of guitarists, drummers etc... Try finding a bunch of musicians though...? (Note the emphasis ;) )

It's frustrating if you're a bassist that also contribuites songs - A lot of guitarists (in particular), are fine playing their own songs - or those of their hero's - but ask them to play a Dminor7, and you soon realise it's going to be a long day! With the computer, I AM the band... though no longer the bassist (Wow, did I just write that! :oops: ).

Ahh yes... that's the song name!! Thanks!

Heheh, well-spotted! And that would explain why I was belting the bleeder too.

Having said that, (historically-speaking) it was only with King's rising popularity that strings (and basses) started to be made with slapping in-mind... They were mega expensive at the time though (if you could even find a supplier).

I caught a few vids on YouTube recently (Coor... have you seen King's latest rendition of Mr Pink on there?! Jeez!) and one thing that really struck me is how little effort is needed to slap 'n' pop on today's basses... even watching Mark on Mr Pink is a different contrast to his early days - Hardly a flicker of the wrist.

I know yeah, not a good look... I'll have to pixelate it I think. :D

LOLs... never heard of him/her!

... now if you'd have said Frank Zappa!

Hey, we'll all be wearing space-suits in 20 yrs time so the lesson to all is:, DO NEVER VIDEO THYSELF! :D

I did have one of me and the band playing Running in the Family, live - Borrowed it out to someone, came back with an episode of Neighbours on it or sommat!