Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark King

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kcm, Jun 17, 2000.


  1. kcm

    kcm

    Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Any fans out there...I'm afraid our good old English slapper seems to get forgotten. I mean, come on he took it to another level (pun intended) in the eighties...just check out the Physical Presence live album.
    I know that he took Larry Graham and Stanley Clarke and fused them into the monster slapper that he is ( oh yes he's still at it)
    but surely one of the most influencial players of all time.

    ------------------
    If they put the truth in your hands, would you really want to know?
     
  2. john turner

    john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

    Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    when i think english slapper, along with mr king, i also think of colin hodgkinson.

    he's a whomper.

    ------------------
    john

    money good! napster bad!

     
  3. kcm

    kcm

    Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Mark has said that Colin Hodgkinson was a great influence on him especially his chord work <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by john turner:
    when i think english slapper, along with mr king, i also think of colin hodgkinson.

    he's a whomper.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>



    ------------------
    If they put the truth in your hands, would you really want to know?
     
  4. merlijn

    merlijn

    Apr 30, 2000
    For me , Mark King is my great example.

    At home I mostly play Level 42 songs. I think
    I 'm goïng to transcribe (no tabs) some.
    Anybody who wants to help, or wants some
    help with Level 42 songs can ask me.

    Has anybody ever seen the tv interview with
    Level 42 in Germany. ( question : Mark King,
    de you sleep with your bass?).
    You find this interview on the web
     
  5. Amoilbasso

    Amoilbasso

    Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kcm:
    Any fans out there...I'm afraid our good old English slapper seems to get forgotten. I mean, come on he took it to another level (pun intended) in the eighties...just check out the Physical Presence live album.
    I know that he took Larry Graham and Stanley Clarke and fused them into the monster slapper that he is ( oh yes he's still at it)
    but surely one of the most influencial players of all time.

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Great Post!!!!
    I have played Mark KIng's basslines for so many years!
    I am glad that someone "rember" about him!
    He has the fastest thumb in the world:the most incredible bass line for me,is the one of the third track of"a Phisical Presence"(I don't remember the title now).Not to mention his solo on "Love Games"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But he is not only a bass player;he sings very well,and his song,even if most of them are commercial pop-songs, are beautifull and well written.
    Thumbs Up!
     
  6. kcm

    kcm

    Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    third track is Mr PINK....truly awesome. It almost doubled in speed compared to the original album version. I saw Mark for 5 nights at the Jazz Cafe in London last year and he was still kicking ass!

    ------------------
    If they put the truth in your hands, would you really want to know?
     
  7. Amoilbasso

    Amoilbasso

    Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kcm:
    third track is Mr PINK....truly awesome. It almost doubled in speed compared to the original album version. I saw Mark for 5 nights at the Jazz Cafe in London last year and he was still kicking ass!

    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mr.Pink?
    No,I haven't this song on my Italian CD.
    I rember the title now:Eyes waterfaling.


     
  8. markj

    markj

    May 27, 2000
    mark king is a great player...his slap lines are very driving but mainly rythmnic ...for slap i was a mark king freak until i heard marcus miller..nows theres the MAN!! i always thought his sound let him down and wondered what his playing would sound like on "jazz style" basses....how does he sound on his new gb basses ...is it fuller?i guess due to the doubleing with synth he kept his sound thinner and more percussive so not to confuse the bass end...
    "eyes waterfalling" i used for a workout years ago and used to play it on 45 instead of 33...cant do that anymore!!!!
    one more thing..i always considered his fingerstyle playing better than his slap....but that thumb speed is still the freakiest thing ive seen including victors double thumbing!!!!!
     
  9. Amoilbasso

    Amoilbasso

    Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markj:
    mark king is a great player...his slap lines are very driving but mainly rythmnic ...for slap i was a mark king freak until i heard marcus miller..nows theres the MAN!! i always thought his sound let him down and wondered what his playing would sound like on "jazz style" basses....how does he sound on his new gb basses ...is it fuller?i guess due to the doubleing with synth he kept his sound thinner and more percussive so not to confuse the bass end...
    "eyes waterfalling" i used for a workout years ago and used to play it on 45 instead of 33...cant do that anymore!!!!
    one more thing..i always considered his fingerstyle playing better than his slap....but that thumb speed is still the freakiest thing ive seen including victors double thumbing!!!!!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Markj,I totally agree with you about Mark/Marcus:I have played Mark King stuff for many years;but in the last 3 years I have gone crazy for MM.I was younger,then I prefered Mark at those time;but even now I still find Mark's thumb unbelievable.
    I don't agree with you about Mark's basses:I wouldn't choice a Jazz Bass to play his stuff;that kind of slap-style is even more percussive than the Marcus' one,so it requires a super tight,mid ranged and dry attack,while a Jbass is a little bit fatter and deeper;and above all,a normal Jbass is passive....(I hope I have used the right words)
    The basses I would choce for MK style:Alembic;Jaydee;WarwicK;Zon

     
  10. markj

    markj

    May 27, 2000
    amoilbasso....mark king has actually been using fender jazz hybrids and goodfellow basses for the past two years which is another jazz style bass...can anyone tell me how his playing now sounds live?? when he was with level42 he needed that pecussive sound to compliment the synth but maybe now he prefers a fatter sound?
    hes currently playing gb basses ...a bass ive used for the past 3 years ...the sound is huuuuuuggggggeeeeee.....almost too big!!!
    cheers markj [​IMG]
     
  11. Christopher

    Christopher

    Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    BTW, what is the current status of Level 42? Disbanded? On hiatus?
     
  12. kcm

    kcm

    Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Christopher:
    BTW, what is the current status of Level 42? Disbanded? On hiatus?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Hi Christopher - Level 42 split up in 1994 and played their last gig at the Royal Albert Hall in October of that year. Both Mark and Mike now have other projects on the go but have not completely ruled out working together again in the future....

     
  13. markj

    markj

    May 27, 2000
    kcm ....as your saw mk live 5 times at the jazz cafe ..can you tell me what his sound is like now???
     
  14. I think I might be alone in this but... I really don't see the attraction of Mark King's Bass playing. I've seen and heard quite a bit and can say that maybe as a technical slapper he's good, but I really don't feel his feel !! There seems to be no passion, I listen to Jack Bruce and hear passion, same with Jaco or Glenn Hughes ( a long time ago )Stanley Clarke passion also. Mark King I'm sorry technical exercises but no passion.... Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction.
     
  15. starchild42

    starchild42

    Jun 27, 2000
    Well ive been a huge fan of Mark's for over 15 years now and you really have to dig beyond the popular tunes & singles to find the best of his work. Here's a few that spring to mind...

    From the true colours album - My Hero, Hours by the window, True believers

    From Standing in the Light - Out of sight, out of mind, I want eyes - bags of feel in those two!

    from World Machine - Lying Still, Coup D'etat,

    I could go on and on but there's a few pointers for you...don't forget that Mark's fingerstyle playing is often overlooked and is (IMHO) just as good if not better than the slap.
     
  16. markj

    markj

    May 27, 2000
    starchild.... as in my previous i to believe mk fingerstyle playing is more inventive than his slap..i feel because of his technique its common to overlook his actual playing.a classic writer of catchy pop lines.....cheers markj [​IMG]
     
  17. Kelvin

    Kelvin

    Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    Mark King's basslines was just one part of the puzzle that made Level 42 successful. I especially loved the interplay between Mark King's deeper voice, and Mike Lindup's falsetto.

    Too bad they got sidetracked into pop. The Gould brothers supposedly left because of this.

    I've been listening to their music since the days of the first album. How many of us learnt left hand muted slap patterns on "Love Games"? "Chinese Way" had a Jaco like bassline that sounds influenced by "Teen Town". "Micro Kid" gets my vote for my favorite Level 42 song. Favorite album would be "World machine". Check out the bassline on "I sleep on my heart"

    As an aside, despite the synthesized sound predominating 80s music, I think that we've overlooked some great bass playing. Pino Palladino's work with Paul Young comes to mind.
     
  18. You are right about Pino Palladino his bass playing with Paul Young was excellent. A great player, tons of feel !
     
  19. Amoilbasso

    Amoilbasso

    Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markj:
    amoilbasso....mark king has actually been using fender jazz hybrids and goodfellow basses for the past two years which is another jazz style bass...can anyone tell me how his playing now sounds live?? when he was with level42 he needed that pecussive sound to compliment the synth but maybe now he prefers a fatter sound?
    hes currently playing gb basses ...a bass ive used for the past 3 years ...the sound is huuuuuuggggggeeeeee.....almost too big!!!
    cheers markj [​IMG]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Yes knew about Mark's new choice for Fender:it should be the bass played in his last solo album"1 man":I hadn't mentioned this last period for rispect to the real Mark we know and were talking about.....
    Don't know nothing about the last concert(I hope he plays some old stuff!!!)
    GB basses???????????????????
     
  20. kcm

    kcm

    Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Mark should be gigging at the Jazz Cafe in Camden, London in November. Just waiting for contracts to be signed. Check out
    www.mark-king.com for more details as they come in. Yes Mark is currently using GB basses, a sort of Jazz hybrid but playing and sound wise they are far superior to the Fender. The Fenders that Mark put his name too where pretty awful,a friend had one and the build quality was bad. The GB's are bolt on but he is having through necks built to accommadate his need to bend harmonics with the neck. www.gbguitars.clara.net is their website. A small but wonderful english luthier!!

    ------------------
    If they put the truth in your hands, would you really want to know?


    [This message has been edited by kcm (edited July 04, 2000).]