Mark King

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Sep 16, 2002.

1. I have re-discovered some mark king solos and bass line sheet music my guitar teacher gave me, he is really cool, despite the cheesyness.
    Suppose while im here i could ask if anyone knows how he gets his slap tone, its very different from anyone else.
    His bass line on Love games is just so cool, it makes that song..." thats how i see her face....dum dum dum..." genius.
  2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Just imagine singing while your playing that funky...
    ..Mark King is a badass:D
  3. TRU

Apr 12, 2002
    Northern Europe
    Funny, just few days ago I watched his Live in Reading 2001 DVD for the first time. Their playing is so great, Mark/Gary must be the tightest rhythm section at the moment, and Mark sings at the same time! The bass sound on that one is a bit too sterile IMO. He plays his new signature Status and ... surprice: Trace Elliot amps/cabs.

Mark's slap tone: It basically comes from hitting the strings _very_ hard. He also uses light strings and relatively low action and the strings are always fresh. The bass is also a big part of the sound. Jaydees, Status' and Alembics have different tones.

If I were you, I'd go see him live. Check for schedule.
  4. I've seen him put tape around his thumb which may help in getting that hard hitting percussive slap sound
  5. Chip

May 2, 2000
    im learning 'dune tune' for my end of year solo exam
    i hope i can get it sounding right
    my friend is giving me **** about it being really 80's, but he reckons everything is 80's (the fool!)
  6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii just must be my age...........the 80's are oldies now........I remember when everybody was dumping on the 70's for bad music! Shunning any era as a whole for pretty close minded IMHO!..............
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm still trying to learn "Eyes Water Falling"! :eek:
  8. rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I was just humming "World Machine" on the way to work this morning.

In the end of the song there is a great bass line on top of "don't knock the system, we'll knock some sense in you". In the Wimberly concert, he plays the line, sings, dances. I wonder if he has an extra lobe in his brain.

On tone, he uses some effects, too. In concert they are apparent. Phase shifter, chorus. Autowah on world machine.

He uses a lot of vibrato, too.

Good luck.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
  10. Makatak

Apr 13, 2002
    New Zealand
    Well its about time some people on this site gave Mark King some credit , i dont think hes " too 80`s " at all , th drummer in my band is a young dude who hates keyboards etc , i mention any 80s stuff like tears for fears , howard jones , thomas dolby ,haircut 100, LEVEL 42 , ...HE WILL EITHER SAY " WHO " , OR " OH MY GOD , NOT TEARS FOR FEARS " ,and then start twating on about pearl jam or something ,
    What he doesnt realise is the amount of monster players that were around then .........anyway ive got [ most of ] all the Level 42 stuff , the problem is you try to play a riff to some of these young guys like " almost there " , or " weave your spell " , and they go ... " c`mon man , get into the 90s , " , . so anyway i think Shapeshifter is one of my faves , any other favourites ?
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Interesting interview with Mark King in the latest Bass Guitar magazine - so he says how he never practices, until it comes to the tour, which is why he has to gaffa tape his thumb - so he may not play bass for a year between tours.

I think there is an interesting trend in the UK where people obviously want to see live bands with good musicians, but no new bands like this are coming through - so bands like Level 42 are re-forming to fulfill the need, based mostly on pressure via websites - so they let fans on their website, pick which tunes they would do on tour!
  12. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000

Hey Woodchuck,
    I played a lot of Mark's stuff in my teen-age.....I was a fanatic!But the bass riff in Eyes waterfalling(I've only the live version) is something unbelievable......I still can't play it prooerly nowadays:( :( :(
    From my point of view,Mark's thumb is one of the fastest,if not the faster in the world
  13. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I grew up in the 80's and Marc is w/out a doubt one of my biggest influences. He is a fantastic player/writer/musician. I just got a live DVD from Germany that he recorded in 2000, and he still has it man.

Lets not forget
    Nick Beggs, John Taylor and Graham Maby....some great 80's Bass dudes. There are many others too....Pino ect.
  14. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I learned "Eyes Water Fallin'" today!! :p
    Now for that slap solo on Physical Prescence........
  15. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000

.....good luck with the proper pronounciation of Eyes waterfalling:p
  16. Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    .many great palyers in the 80's!
    John Taylor was the one who made me start playing bass when I was 9.

Pino is the Lord of session players!Listen to phil Collins's "I wish it would rain":pino's fretless is amazing!For me it is impossible to play it so well as he does
    I love another british fretless-ace:Laurence Cottle.He is not so famous,but I have a late 80's record from Fabio Concato(italian singer/songrwiter),where his bass lines,tone,fantasy and taste in variations are superb!Check him,if you find something!;)