Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MARK KING

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by H1JGH, Nov 20, 2002.

1. H1JGH

H1JGH

Nov 20, 2002
    GUILDFORD,UK
    saw mark king play last night,i know he has a rep 4 being an arrogant b****** but he just gets better and better,from some 1 into rock thats saying something.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I probably gonna see him w/ Level 42 on the 29th, hope they put on a good show.

3. H1JGH

H1JGH

Nov 20, 2002
    GUILDFORD,UK
    is his neck a slightly smaller scale than normal??
    he is a smaal guy and it seemed small??

4. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    His new headless Status Kingbass has a 32" scale with a 2" bendwell at the end...
    "a recess behind the top-nut which allows the player to bend the string up two semitones."

[​IMG]

5. Fender73

Fender73

Nov 24, 2003
    UK
    I saw Level 42 3 times this year (Stalker!) and all 3 gigs were awesome. Hammersmith Odeon, London was the last gig of the UK dates and was the best show i have seen for a long while.

I'm still not sure about the KingBass - Looks a little small for me, but i'd love to try one.

Long Live L42

Graeme :bassist:

6. as someone who started playing in the 80's, Mark King was a big influence on me. almost every track on The Pursuit of Accidents is amazing!

from the thumpin' lows,

Stew

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you've ever seen him play, he tucks the body of his instrument under his arm and keeps his forearm almost parallel to the strings. Hence the generally small size of his "signature" basses.

8. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Hiya,
    Nice to see Mark King getting a mention on here! I think he's up there with Marcus, Stan the Man, and Larry Graham as being one of the slap bass masters (I also really dig his fingerstyle too). I've been to a couple of L42 shows this year and I've always been knocked out by his playing.

IMHO wouldn't say Mark is arrogant - I've never met the guy but from what I've seen and read from interviews with him, he always comes across as being pretty modest about his bass playing.

Hi Fender73 - I thought that was you posting on here! (greetings from the Essexboy! :))

9. Fender73

Fender73

Nov 24, 2003
    UK
    Hi Essexboy! We gotta stop meeting like this!!

I only discovered this forum the other day!

Cheers

Fender73

10. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Spooky that I should see someone on here who lives a couple of miles away from me, instead of in the States! :D

Did you see Level 42 at the Fairfield Halls a few weeks back? Awesome show!

Russ :bassist:

11. Essexbass

Essexbass

Nov 8, 2003
    Reading, U.K.
    Hi Russ,
    Yeah - I went to the gig at the Fairfield Halls!
    Thought it was a good gig (even though the sound was a bit muddy to start off with, but that might be down to where I was sitting - still enjoyed it though!).

There's a guy called Russ who posts on the L42 Web Digest - is it you? Good to see a local lad posting on here :)

Catch you later...all the best!

12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Hiya,
    No, that's not me, alas... :)
    But always good to hear from other local players... take care!

Russ :bassist:

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Mark King is the S--t.
    Well known for his slap style.
    Plays great finger style too.
    And is one of the better singer, bass players out there.
    I mean can play complex bass lines and sing at the same time.
    well worth seeing.

14. more than that, he play play and sing in two totally different feels!

from the lows,

Stew