Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark King's best line?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by fleafan, Oct 13, 2000.

1. What do you recon is mark kings best line i would have to say

1-lessons in love
    2-love games

and you?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Oddly, my favorite King basslines aren't the slapped ones; I like "The Sun Goes Down" and "Chinese Way."

3. let me add a small change to my initial question....

im on the quest for the best slap songs so i need to know what you think Mark Kings best "Slapped" song is...

thanks

[Edited by fleafan on 10-14-2000 at 12:53 AM]

4. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Germany
    How about
    - Something about you
    - Hot Water
    - and yes: Love Games is quite cool

Though I think LEssons in Love is difficult to play it is not one of his best slapped songs.

5. reveille_509

reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    Love Games and The Sun Goes Down

6. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Any live version of Mr Pink!

7. kcm

kcm

Jun 17, 2000
    Woking, Surrey.
    Hey guys, no real criticism but have a listen to some of the less commercial stuff, 43, Foundation and Empire, Return of the Handsome Rugged Man etc. You'll find some of the most innovative and original stuff on these. People tend to only remember the "chart" stuff and forget that there is some fantastic less commercial Level around. By the way the Polydor albums have recently been re-mastered and re-released with extra tracks so a good oppotunity to catch some classic Mark King lines!

8. I agree with the above. I also dig
    "Tracie" & "The Chant"

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    If anyone can get hold of the UK magazine 'Guitarist', there's a special 'Mark King Guide To Slap' article.

He introduces the idea of slapping in rhythms based on 16ths, giving equal importance to both the thumb-slap and the percussive use of fretting-hand muting.

David