1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Kings current rig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Anybody know what the incredible Mr. King uses for live shows? Marks sound is fantastic, also what effects and processors does he use? All help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

2. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Mark always used to be known for using Trace Elliot stuff, I'm not sure whether this is still the case though. He was also one of the first players that I noticed using all 10s in cabs, though at the time I wasn't paying too much attention. Before that it was more common to see people using 15s or a combination of different size drivers, as I recall... could be that someone else will remember how this trend came about in more detail, though.

EDIT Just did a very quick search on Google.. apparently he was playing Ashdown stuff a while back, 2004. Press release and image on this page

http://www.ashdownmusic.co.uk/press/releases.asp

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Didn't Ashdown come about from Trace Elliot roots? The original Trace Elliot and not the current incarnation.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Mark,over the years have and still use Basses made by Alembic,Jaydee,Goodfellow,Status,T-Bass(a J style bass designed by Ashdowns founder Mark Gooday)and even Fender,a few years ago Fender offered a MK signature,they only made about 42-45,Mark took it out on tour and destroyed it(the FB was coming off along with a few more problems)with his playing and kindly asked Fender to stop offering it.as far as Amps goes he was a hard core Trace Elliot user for many many years,using 10's in various cab combinations and when Mark Gooday(the founder or TE)started Ashdown in 96 Mark was right there(the first MK Sig rig that Ashdown offered was a MK combo and I'm sure you know That Ashdown now offers the Mk500 Sig amp.

Mark uses a MK500 head with two Ashdown Bentley limited edition 410 cabs and a pair of custom made 210 Ashdown monitors.

as far as effects goes I have no clue because he rarely uses them.

Alembic,Jaydee and Status all at one time offered and in some cases still do a MK Sig Bass from these companies.

5. clavefa

clavefa Te Traigo El Tumbao

I've made specific gear choices because of Mark's sound
    I owned Trace amps and cabs and Ashdown , have'nt been disappointed.:p

6. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Thanks all:) . I'm currently talking with Status about making me a MK 6 string bass, not trying to copy his tone ounce for ounce but it's the closest to what I've been searching a lifetime to achieve. again, thanks to all.

7. don't forget that he never ever signed any deal to promote ayn gear! He changes it as it pleases him!
    he was seen useing EDEN world tour when the level42 split douring his solo years.
    He also has Status graphity signyture model he playes now!
    As efx he used a bit of chorus some time!

But a full list of basses a.k.a. bassography is desplayed and explained on the level42 official site!

8. MattMPG

MattMPG Matt Pulcinella Guitars

Apr 6, 2006
    I've listened to and read about Mark King quite a bit over the past 18 years. A lot of his sound comes from his use of very thin strings. 30 or less on the G.

I wish he would tour over here... just once.

Matt Pulcinella