Mark Kings Tone

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by madjazzbass, Oct 10, 2016.

1. madjazzbass

madjazzbass Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Earth
    I hope I'm not posting to the wrong section but, here goes; I truly believe that Mark Kings (Slap) Bass Tone is probably the best (slap) Bass tone I've ever heard, (IMHO) better than Marcus', Flea, Louis Johnson, and any other Bassist known primarily for their slapping (?) "prowess" ... Question: Is it possible for one to get that (Mark King) Tone from a Fender Jazz OR Precision ... or P/J Bass? 'cause I know Fenders sorta DO have their own unique sound but I also know that with some tweaking you/I can get a plethora of different tones out of a well set up Fender with the right pups and a fresh set of Round wound strings.:):thumbsup:

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
  4. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I don't think the custom Fender Suhr will get his current tone! Probably get his current tone with a Status or Alembic!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
  5. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    I couldn't say since I've never played any of these custom 42 pieces and doubt that most people have...

Mr_O'B likes this.
  6. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I own a 97 Fender American with the Suhr era electronics. The OP could probably get the same tone as Mark King's Sig. Fender with a Fender era Suhr.

I think his most identifiable bass tones are with the Status, Alembic and whatever amps, cabs & effects he uses.

7. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Ultra Light Strings, 18v On Board Active Electronics, at least another outboard preamp, compressor, tc electonics pedals with his signature toneprints, tc amp probably with whatever toneprints you don't have on the floor. Change the strings frequently, and pump your highs that should get you into the ballpark.

If not in the ballpark it should get you to the parking lot outside the ballpark.

C/S,
    Rev J

old spice likes this.
  8. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    A big part of MK's tone is his super light string gauge (he generally uses strings gauged .030-.090). It's impossible to get that tone when you're using a .045-.105 set up. For me, MK's tone was at its best when he was using Jaydee basses in the 80s. Not such a fan of it nowadays.

9. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I think the only time MK used a Fender was when he was recording his second solo album (an album which, tonewise, is totally different from his other work - and from the tone he tends to favour).

10. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    I agree!

11. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    QFT.

I've owned his signature JD model back in the late 80s, and with a TE rig the sound - not my playing - came close enough.

Having said that, I could *never* get used to his string gauge, and ended giving up on the concept altogether - likely for the better - mostly for that reason.

bass12 likes this.
  12. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
  13. GP11Dom

GP11Dom

Jun 27, 2017
    Hi all.

Im really stuck.
    I know in the 1981-85 era he used the jaydee with 30-90 gauge strings and the gp11/12 trace elliot and also the yamaha e1010 delay.
    I have all of these but im missing a brightness that he has. Almost like a phase sound or compression. Any ideas?

I spotted this box on top of the yamaha e1010 at one of the early gigs in Munich 1982. Anyone know what this is? Its half the size of his rack and has a black centre and silver on the top and bottom edges. I also noted that the inputs go in the side.

Cheers

Dom

Attached Files:

14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ah, yes, that's an old Trombiculator TB-1, made by the now-defunct Herbwerks company in Hastings-on-Kent, England. Very rare.

j/k. I have no idea what that is, can barely make it out in the pic!

old spice likes this.
  15. GP11Dom

GP11Dom

Jun 27, 2017
    Haha you have no idea how temporarily happy I was until I read the bottom bit :')

Someone must know what it is, all I've done is searched and searched and searched and I give up :(

old spice and Bob_Ross like this.
  16. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    I don't know what that unit is, though I would guess it could be a receiver for a wireless system. Mark did use a Yamaha SPX90 and MXR phase 100 units in his time though if that helps. Still if you have a JayDee, TE and a Yamaha E1010 and you can't sound like Mark you're doing something wrong. How old is the JayDee?

17. foudufafa

foudufafa Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Boston, MA
    The Rotosoynd FM66 30-90 strings will get you 75% of the way there. I had them on my jazz mapple and it gets close. He does add some effects but the strings is the biggest factor. Try them. I liked them a lot.

18. Mark King had a variety of distinct tones that were broadly similar but subtly different. His Alembic didnt sound like his Jaydee, which didn't sound like his Status Series II which didn't sound like his Kingbass which didn't sound like the mk2 Kingbass etc etc. The key to the classic Mark King tones as we know them starts with modern, active electronics and .30 strings. A bright bass with humbuckers will go some way to helping.

Mark had a few tones that were atypical of his usual choices. He briefly used a Musicman Stingray. He had a signature Fender Jazz that didn't sound great and he also used GB Spitfire basses in the late 90's (as seen on the Ohne Filter DVD) that didn't sound very good either.

19. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Chorus definitely figured highly in a lot of Mark King's playing in the early-to-mid 80s.

20. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Here's a recent rig run through:

He seems to try not to live in the past gear wise.

C/S,
    Rev J

Soren1 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021