1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" for $26 at Amazon

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Apr 13, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey all-

Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" gets talked about an awful lot on the forums, and appears to be considered one of the best resources a jazz musician can have.

For whatever reason, Amazon is selling them new for $26. The book often sells for $41, and I've heard of people paying around $60 for it in a store. This is for a NEW book - even the used ones listed on Amazon are going for more than that.

What's even keener (keener?) is that it qualifies for free shipping.

Seems to me that the book is already a good investment for a musician to make - if you can get it on the cheap, so much the better!

Just thought I would pass it on. ;) I just ordered my copy a few minutes ago!

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  3. tzadik

tzadik

Jan 6, 2005
    Maine
    I wish I didn't already have a copy :>

AWESOME book. Mark is amazing. He puts all the pieces together in a way that makes it easy to teach yourself the ins and outs of theory. If y'all don't have this book, go get it!!:hyper:

4. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    522 pages is a lot to read.

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    just bought it, and the Ron Carter book.
    Thanks for the heads up!

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Wow, thanks for the info, SuperDuck! I've always wanted to pick up this book, but never ran across it. Amazon's insanely low price of $26.46 is just too crazy to pass up, so I placed an order. My copy should be here within 9 days. :D

7. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    This thread should be stickied or kept at the top while the $26 price lasts, IMO.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Good to see at least a few people got some orders in. :) I looked it up on Half.com, and some people were trying to sell new copies for $99! :eek: And none of the used copies were below $40!

9. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    well then lets bump it up so more will notice

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm pretty bummed - I got the letter in my tiny apartment mailbox saying I have a package waiting at the office, but the office is closed! Curses! I haven't ordered anything else, so I know it's my copy. Grr.

edit: Phew, don't worry everyone. When I left to go grocery shopping, I saw that someone was working late at the desk. I now have my book. I feel smarter already, and I've only just looked at the cover.

11. Zachass

Zachass Peavey Partizan

Just ordered mine, I had some interest in this book, and now it's definately worth the investment.

12. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Just placed my order with free two day shipping. Yay for Amazon Prime Trial (hope they didn't lie when they said you can cancel it before it runs out and they bill you...)
    Should be here Thursday. :)

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm going to give this the ol' bumpity-bump. I've been reading my copy over the past couple of days and am really enjoying it. :)

14. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, there is a lot to be learned from this book...

15. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I received my shipping confirmation yesterday. I picked the free "slow boat from China" shipping option so I should have it in my sweaty hands by May 1st. :) I'm quite looking forward to working with this book.

16. Deadworks

Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    Thanks for the heads up on this great deal superduck. I've been meaning to get this book for a while and like others the great deal just solidified it for me.

17. Kmrumedy

Kmrumedy

May 12, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Arrgh. Went to buy it from Amazon Canada and they want $70 for it!!

Even with exchange it shouldn't be more than $35.

Rats!!

18. Just got mine. Never heard of it, actually, but if a duck can learn to play jazz with this book... its got to be good.

Randy

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Is this directly applicable to bass? Would I be able to get anything out of this book if I am just an intermediate player with little jazz experience?

20. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hey... I resemble that remark.

In the end, it's all applicable to bass. ;) It's actually mostly written for piano. The theory, however, is meant to be applied to being a jazz musician as opposed to necessarily being a jazz bass player.