Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark Morton's new CD

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by TomGale, Dec 28, 2005.

1. TomGale

TomGale

Jul 31, 2005
    American School of Double Bass
    Mark's new CD coming out this week. Great reviews. You can get a sound bite and other info at ASODB.Com

Russian Rendezvous

Solo Double Bass Repertoire, Vol. 2

Mark Morton, double bass. Dianne Frazer Cross, piano.

Serge Koussevitsky Andante, Op. 1, No. 1
    * Humoresque, Op. 4
    * Chanson Triste, Op. 2
    * Valse Miniature, Op. 1, No. 2
    * Concerto, Op. 3
    ***Allegro
    ***Andante
    ***Allegro
    Reinhold Glière Präludium, Op. 32, No.1
    * Scherzo, Op. 32, No. 2
    * Intermezzo, Op. 9, No. 1
    * Tarantella, Op. 9, No.2
    Jules Massenet Meditation from Thaïs
    Daniel Van Goëns Scherzo, Op. 12
    Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov Flight of the Bumble-Bee from Tsar Saltan

2. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    just listened to the sample of the cd on the site. The Koussvetizky concerto sounds fantastic. Very clear, great tone. He has a very relaxed and humble way of performing, it's refreshing.

3. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Mark Morton rocks my socks.
    I need to say, I have enormous admiration for the man simply because he went out there and made a CD with the Capuzzi Concerto on it when nobody else in the history of man has been willing to.
    Mad props to Mark Morton. Seriously.

Seriously.

4. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    It really is about time the Capuzzi was made available as a recording. It may not be a virtuoso bass piece, but it's sure nice to listen to. Funnily, when I was studying in Vienna last April I went into a local music store near the Musikveiren (sp?), and they had two discs of the capuzzi, but they were in D and a solid 25 Euro's. NO THX! :)

5. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Capuzzi has what every other bass concerto lacks. Musical Soul. For that one reason, I enjoy playing it above Kuss, Dragonetti, Dittersdorf, they are all just notes.

6. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    I disagree. I think the Koussevitzky has an enormous amount of emotion. I mean, the Capuzzi is a really "fun" piece, but it's not what you'd play for a Jullaird recital. It doesn't have the emotion in it like Bottesini or Koussevitzky. Dragonetti is also "fun" lol.

7. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The thing Capuzzi has going for it, besides being absurdly easy (minus that nasty little F minor bit in the last mvt. F minor. ***, you know?), is that it's very hummable. I could sing you the entire first movement from memory at cue, even while rip-roaringly drunk. Another thing it has going for it is I can PLAY it rip-roaringly drunk. Good trick for parties. "Wow, you play upright bass? oh man, sweet, play something!" "I..I don't knows..youses guys...I...I'm schorta...kinda...oh okay, why not."
    In defense of the Koussevitzky, however, I believe you can say a lot more with it, emotionally. I mean, if you're into "sad." That 2nd mvt is the most mournful I think you can possibly make the key of G major sound. Really. The middle mvt of Capuzzi is kind of weak, too. IMHO. One of those fall-asleep-during movements. Man, though, that first movement... I did that with orchestra a year or two ago and, you know, you can make up for the lack of acrobatics with an uber-wank cadenza. F major works really well for that, for some reason. Oh, and god bless that development section...so good. So good.

8. kraid

kraid

Apr 11, 2003
    The 2nd movement of the Koussevitzky isn't mournful, it's a love song. A romantic piece written for his wife before the concerto was finished. The whole concerto is based around the second movement.

The only other recording I know of the Capuzzi concerto is with Buccarella and I Musici on an old Philips double LP. It's a bit more enjoyable with the full orchestra accompaniment, but I don't know if I really enjoy the piece too much compared to the other concertos we have. It's a nice piece, but I'd rather play other Viennese concertos. Dittersdorf, Vanhal, Sperger, Pichl, and Hoffmeister all have Capuzzi beat in this category, I'm afraid.

By the way has anyone seen the Capuzzi concerto transcribed for euphonium? First time I've seen bass music taken to be played on other instruments!

Mark Morton's new CD is sounding really good. I think I might pick up a copy. I really like the way he has a sort of perfection regarding tone quality and intonation.

9. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Back when I was in school, late '70s early '80s, the Capuzzi was quite popular with Euphonium players.

I played the 1st movement on Bass (my second instrument) for my jury one semester and played it on Tuba (my primary instrument) for my jury the next semester. It's easier on Bass.

10. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    I would say it is a mournful love song lol. Perhaps of a love that never occured. It definetly seems a tad sad by the music. But I completely agree that the second movement is the basis of the concerto, it mirrors the first and third movement, which are really quite similiar. I appreciate Levinson's final movement where he tries to change some of the dynamics to make it seem like it isn't the first movement copied and pasted ;)

11. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I've seen the music for Capuzzi arranged for euphonium/tuba, but it's usually for the 3rd mvt alone. You know what sucks? capuzzi in D. I found the music for it in a library, dear god. Boring. The register is WAY too low to hope to be heard over the orchestra. When I did it in F with an orchestra about a year back, I had to use amplification because the lower register stuff got covered too easy and the orchestra wasnt being particularly sensitive about it.

12. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    indeed, the version in d is pure balls. I believe Buccarella (sp?!) edited that version? He also did the Internal Pub of Bottesini No. 2, another terrible revision might I add.

13. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Well, I mean, the piece was originally written in D, way back in the day, but still. The same guy is responsible for both of those messes? dear lord. The international edition of bottesini no. 2 is the biggest piece of crap I've ever seen. I prefer the Klaus Trumpf one myself. Very good edition, that one.

14. Snakewood

Snakewood Guest

Dec 19, 2005
    Indeed, that Bottesini 2/Buccarela is a real pile of lard. It's written in actual pitch so us bassists have to get used to reading at real pitch.

15. bassbaterie

bassbaterie

Dec 14, 2003
    Houston Texas
    Director, Quantum Bass Center
    Checked out the Mark Morton sound samples, sounds great! Now can't wait to get a hold of the disc!

Damn, worked up the 'Meditation' for my lesson a few months ago and thought I invented something. It will be nice to hear somebody play it "for real".

Personally, I always liked the 2nd mvt. of the Kouss. I'll buy it as a love song, whatever, I'm sappy. Played it with orch. many years ago - the whole concerto, I mean.

16. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    You're my hero. Can I touch you?