1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mark & Mr. Potato. Am I Tripping?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Lenny JG, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    Mr. Potato has been playing fine, played it earlier, then 30min later went to a rehearsal studio where I plugged into a mark bass combo and..... No sound...... then a pop.... then more silence....No matter what no sound from Mr. Potato.

The man running the studio helped me look at the combo, the cable, Mr. Potato, and we didn't see anything out of place. Combo was outputting and receiving signal, changed cables, changed 9v in Mr. Potato.

So we plugged in an Epiphone Thunderbird, and at first, no sound, but then after a few seconds the sound was fine.. mostly.. there were a couple times when I would turn the combo off or turn down, where when I turned back up it wouldn't quite have the full tone for a few seconds.

I tried to plug Mr. Potato in again and it had a very faint noise like it was trying but no cigar.

Brought it back home and confirmed Mr. Potato is not outputting signal any longer.

Did the Mark bass combo do something to Mr. Potato, or am I tripping???

2. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Ummm .... could you define “Mr. Potato” for us?

Lenny JG, chriscrob and Bob_Ross like this.
  3. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I'm assuming it's one of these?
    176135697_476255806758615_8631949250298554052_n.jpg

A MIK Mr. Potato (brand) bass?

I have one and a while back also had what sounds like similar problems. Check the output jack, I ended up replacing mine and it worked. Mine has that barrel jack which are prone to going bad a lot sooner than the regular ol' output jacks.

Lenny JG likes this.
  4. Make sure you aren't using a stereo (TRS) cable. I had this problem with an active Schecter bass and it took me forever to figure it out.

5. Lenny JG

Lenny JG

Aug 3, 2019
    USA
    Well that would just take away the whimsy.

I'm using a cable I've been using for 3 years and am still using on other active basses. Not sure if that matters.:rolleyes:

Anyway i actually dropped it w/ my luthier while I'm having a defret done on a Legator and so it should be finished by now. :smug:

Thanks for the replies y'all.

Maxdusty likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 13, 2021