1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mark Sandman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 40Hz, May 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Just spotted this on Youtube. It's a studio session of Morphine back in 1992 recorded at WMBR in Cambridge MA. You can really hear Mark Sandman's unique bass style in this session.

2. Dasgre0g

Dasgre0g The Jaguar Whisperer

Nov 13, 2007
    Austin
    He was amazing. Loved that band

3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Me too. Truly original sound and vision. Mark was a musician who could only be described as: unique.

(And they were also out of the Boston music scene which is my old stomping grounds! Go Kenmore and Harvard Square.)

Dasgre0g and Tiamat like this.
  4. Love Morphine, Mark was unique

Dasgre0g likes this.
  5. Dasgre0g

Nov 13, 2007
    Austin
    Absolutely. The entire band was just one unique experiment that seemed to blend perfectly. Really miss them. I never got to see them play and I really regret that

6. Not only that. At the time that fashion was more strings it was brilliant play with 2 strings.

Dasgre0g likes this.
  7. Dasgre0g

Nov 13, 2007
    Austin
    I absolutely agree. That was definitely the beginning of the take off of the five string Revolution and certainly then resulted in the people who needed more than that. Proof again that the true power is not in the equipment, buts in the player. Perfect voice as well to go along with that particular style, frequency, and that awesome baritone saxaphone that took the place of any guitar. Really miss those guys. They are deeply needed in times like these

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Tiamat likes this.
  8. From what I've seen, it looks like he just uses an A and D string. Does anyone know how he tuned? Did he tune the A string down to G to give him a power chord to slide on?

9. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    A is D's 5th...

10. Yeah. I grasp that, Jules. All I'm doing is contemplating the if's. It is frequently desirable for the root to be the lower note when playing two notes simultaneously.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Dasgre0g likes this.
  11. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Jun 5, 2009
    Texas
    One of the most unique bands to come down the pike in years.

Just complete and utter simplicity, but then just completely new and fresh too. Just one of those things that no one else had ever tried and they made it work.

Watched btw. There's a reason why my status is forever staying "sometimes you have to log into TB and watch every Mark Sandman thread ever."