Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark Schatz

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by jaybo, Oct 5, 2002.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Not sure how many bluegrass guys frequent the board but I've really been enjoying Mark's playing especially on Bela Fleck's Tales from the Acoustic Planet Volume 2. Being an appalachia resident I hear my fair share of bluegrass live and on the radio and this is some good stuff as far as modern bluegrass goes.

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Yessir....great player, Mark is! I especially have enjoyed his past work on some of the Bluegrass Album Band and Tony Rice Unit stuff.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Also one of the few who have ignored the conventional wisdom that bluegrassers need to have a Kay or other plywood. Mark plays on an old german carved I believe.

Always cracked me up; you can go to a festival and see old Martins and Gibsons, Italian "fiddles", and the bass player will bring a horribly set up piece of junk.

Monte

Jake deVilliers likes this.
  4. DalmerM

DalmerM

Oct 15, 2002
    North Carolina
    Caught a TV show last week that Mark did with John Hartford a few years back. If it's the same guy, he is also quite a clawhammer banjo picker.

5. Saw and heard Mark Schatz backing up Nickel Creek at their sold-out show at the Beacon Theater in NYC on Tuesday night. He was great (as was the whole show, really outstanding). For one number, he clog-danced instead of playing the bass. Talk about versatile ...

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    That's Schatzylein. He's also a killer buck and wing dancer! ;)

Catch him with Claire Lynch for the full show.

7. wow, love me some Claire Lynch. That's a show I would like to see.

yeah, like I said, at the Beacon he danced one number instead of playing bass, and the crowd loved it.

8. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Yeah, he's a showman! ;)

Mark's solo album 'Brand New Old Time Way' is a really good record that showcases his musicality:

http://www.amazon.com/Brand-New-Old-Tyme-Way/dp/B0000002N8

9. will check that out.

Gotta say, vis a vis the Beacon concert, that Chris Thile is now a certified rock star, but Mark is the perfect bass player to go along with it all and add some unique touches like the dancing. He's clearly an excellent musician. And the sound production at the Beacon was great, Mark's upright was fully featured in the sound mix.