Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mark White of The Spin Doctors

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LiquidMidnight, Jan 15, 2002.

1. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    What do you guys think of this cat. I think he doesn't get the respect and props he deserves. I was just listening to SP's "Pocket Full of Kyrptonite" CD last night and I think he has a lot of great playing to offer. Though I will admit, he slap playing can be a bit sloppy and he'll pop at the most odd times, the cat can obviously groove. His playing did nothing short of amaze me in "Shinebone Alley/Hard to Exist". Really cool solo in "Refrigerator Car" also. What are your opinions?

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Too bad the band burned out due to the singer going paranoid or something to do with too much weed.

I agree a bit with your assessment. It would have been interesting to hear more from him/them. The guitarist's tone and style sometimes stepped all over the line though. I think it made things confusing as far a overall groove. His lows sounded too much like the bass's highs.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I loved his work in the song "Two Princes". That's such a great song. :)

I thought the Spin Doctors regrouped, by the way, like a few years ago? Though I could be wrong, and maybe it's a whole different lineup, but I thought they played in my area some years ago and had an album out.

4. hahahahahahhahahaha,going paranoid....he blew a vocal cord and couldnt sing any more,i saw it on vh1 once....hes like,still recovering from it..i think hes like,just now being able to hit a few notes

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Like, wow.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Too bad the band burned out due to the singer going paranoid or something to do with too much weed.

I agree a bit with your assessment. It would have been interesting to hear more from him/them. The guitarist's tone and style sometimes stepped all over the line though. I think it made things confusing as far a overall groove. His lows sounded too much like the bass's highs.

Man that must have been some awsome weed man!
    Wow to be the first person on earth to actually have bad medical effects on weed! Man thats funny! If you have never smoked weed then please dont say such silly things about it! Drugs are bad---because ummmmm there baddd!

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Mark White rocks. I have all of the Spin Doctors albums (was a HUGE fan back in the day, and still am) and his playing always amazes me. The best place to hear his frickin' DEEP groove is the "Homebelly Groove" live album. The song that does it for me on there is Freeway of the Plains. The Spins were one of my big bass influences when I first started playing. Helped me get my funk chops in order to say the least!

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Bisquit Head"...cool tune.
    "What Time Is It?"...'nuther cool one.
    I even like the figure to "Cleopatra's Cat".
    White gets a lotta mileage out of a 3-chord "Rock" tune like "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong".

9. The Spin Doctor???

Yep, cool bassman indeed...

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    1 - learn to properly transpose a quote.

2 - relax, do you really think you need to step up and defend marijuana from my relentless assault? I heard that rumor that he was afraid to go on stage. I didn't state is as a fact.

3- if I were smoking weed, I guess it would be OK to say silly things.:confused:

11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    1 - learn to properly transpose a quote.

2 - relax, do you really think you need to step up and defend marijuana from my relentless assault? I heard that rumor that he was afraid to go on stage. I didn't state is as a fact.

3- if I were smoking weed, I guess it would be OK to say silly things.

:mad: Hey man youre the one that stood up and made yourself sound like a idiot not me!

And if you did smoke pot every now and then you probably wouldnt be so uptight! So how about you go some place and chill and think about what you did wrong!:D

12. I almost had a heart attack when I saw my name in this forum!!!
    thanks for the support

mark white

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Great to see you here Mark. I always dug your playing. As an amusing sidenote, to this day, anytime anyone asks me what time it is, I instantly respond "12:30".

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I think you're the only one who doesn't know who the idiot here is.

But we digress...

Mark, you kick @$$. I'm with JazznFunk. "Yo Baby" off of Homebelly Groove was one of the first tunes I learned (okay, attempted to learn) on the bass. I still occasionally cop the opening riff to impress the natives. The check's in the mail...;)

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Think so? :D ;) :) :cool: :p

Mark White = cool. My brother Andy was a big fan back before the "Kryptonite" album, he used to love tto see them at little places like The Bayou in Washington DC. Once he ran into Mark singing Karaoke in a local Washington DC establishment and thought it was great.

Oh yeah, great bass player and a darn good singer to boot.

Anyway, my old band used to cover "Little Miss Can't Be Wrong", and it was one of the highlights of the set. I had a ball playing it.

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Whoa, Mark White came into my thread about him and posted.

Not to be patronizing, but since I first posted this thread I went and bought Homebelly Groove (awesome solo in Sweet Widow), Turn it Upside Down, and You've Got to Believe in Something. Spin Doctors have since become one of my all time favorite bands. Again, I don't want to seem patronizing, but I have to give you guys props for playing a style of music that was going against the grain of mainstream at the time, and even having a couple of hit songs out of it.

BTW, I was wondering if you could clear up a quesition someone had here a while ago. They asked what gear you used and we were wondering what that black bass with the crazy pink knobs were, that you use to use.

17. Back in the early 80's I took my income tax check and bought a graphite neck to put on my Ibanez jazzbass copy but the sound wasn't that good, after getting in the spin doctors I had a body made from mahogany and had a good friend on 48th street put it together for me. That bass has the jazz bass pickups and a music man pickup in between them plus a kahler whammy bar. I have four main basses that I use and that one is still the best sounding, the only reason I don't play it anymore is because it needs to be setup. Once i get that done I most likely will start playing it again

take care
    mark white

18. This is another reason this is the best bass board around!!! Imagine - Mark White posting!!

Mark - love the big grooves and chops on your work with the Spin Doctors!

If you have time, would love to hear more about: a) your approach to constructing basslines for this genre of music
    b) what you are up to now, projects etc
    c) your live equipment setup, basses, amps, eq setting etc
    d) influences

thx much!!!

Pat

19. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Hey Mark....you did for bassist playing bars what Carter Beauford did for drummers.........you had hit songs with killer basslines in them.........thanks for that big time!!!

20. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Also, don't mean to just bombard you with questions Mark, but I was also wondering how you got that awesome tone in Cleopatra's Cat. It's completely different to any other tone you have in any other song. It sounds like you're using a Jazz Bass in that one.